1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Tom Steyer for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Nov 11, 2019.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I happened to catch the CNN townhall last night and I was impressed with his grasp of the problems we're facing. I didn't hear a whole lot in terms of specific solutions but looking forward to hearing more from him.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The only thing I noticed about this thread is why the "i" doesn't have a dot on top of it in the title? I guess it's too close to the "f" or something. Gonna have to look into that a little further.

BigShasta likes this.
  4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I respect him as an activist that’s fighting for some good causes, but can’t take him seriously as a candidate.

He literally bought his way onto the debate stage and his staff was just busted for attempting to exchange cash for endorsements.

This isn’t the way you should be winning over voters.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. CometsWin

You can't win over voters if you're not in the race.

6. baller4life315

According to today’s Fox News poll Steyer is at 12 points in Nevada and 15 in South Carolina.

Outlier....or is this guy an actual threat in those states?

Also, who are these mysterious Tom Steyer voters? Do they even exist? Closet voters? Bots?

B-Bob likes this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

King1, Invisible Fan and KingCheetah like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

He's been spending an insane amount of money in those states, but this still seems like a crazy outlier. He could easily have jumped Pete, but it's hard to believe he'd have really jumped Warren. Bloomberg's been doing similar advertising and is still stuck at 2%. It did get him onto the debate stage next week though.

baller4life315 and jiggyfly like this.
  9. KingCheetah

This dude has dropped about 150 million so far... crazy.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Only thing he needs to drop now is out.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

12. baller4life315

So glad we get to see him on yet another debate stage looking stiff and uncomfortable wearing a flannel tie and karate chopping the air.

Like I said earlier, I respect him as an activist but he brings nothing to the table.

Also, my search for a real life Tom Steyer voter continues. One of these days I’m going to encounter one of them....or at the very least see a bumper sticker or yard sign.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Is that crickets or a live recording of Toms rally crowds ?

KingCheetah, B-Bob and dachuda86 like this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Major, I assume you are itching to vote for Bloomberg?

15. Major

Major Member

Not particularly - if he had run a normal campaign and secured support over the last year, maybe. But as is, he seemed to skip lots of steps.

I do think he'd easily win a general election - probably more easily than anyone else. And I'd be fine with him as President if it comes down to it. I know you think he's an evil billionaire and anyone who has money/success is a terrible human being and anyone who takes his money is tainted, but I'm glad he's spent hundreds of millions fighting for gun control and trying to get pro-gun-control people elected. I don't think all those elected officials are corrupt terrible individuals for taking money from billionaires, as I'm sure you do. I also strongly support people who make real progress on issues, and he fits that Obama mold. I know you think it's terrible that 20 million extra Americans got health care coverage under Obamacare because it wasn't perfect, but I think of it as a good thing. Same with financial regulation reform, the CFPB, and numerous other things that rational sane people accomplished. I'd much rather have that than 4 years of dreaming and accomplishing nothing while people suffer.

As it is, I think he's a Biden insurance policy. Biden's problem is these first 4 states. If he comes out of those fine, Bloomberg fades away. If Biden's in trouble, Bloomberg's trying to position himself as the backup plan - though doing a fairly poor job of it so far.

I also appreciate this from him, though I'm sure you think it's terrible, given that he's a billionaire and using his money to have influence:

https://www.axios.com/mike-bloomber...nee-8148b285-5108-4470-b8e4-577b3ca07a75.html

Mike Bloomberg will pay for the nearly 500 staffers on his presidential campaign to continue working through November to support whoever wins the 2020 Democratic nomination, even if it's not him, NBC News reports.

Why it matters: The former New York mayor is focused on getting President Trump out of the White House, and his vast operation — focused beyond the traditional early states — could provide a strong foundation in key battleground states, like North Carolina and Pennsylvania.

• The billionaire has also established a large tech operation, which will help the future nominee compete with Trump's digital prowess.
    • Bloomberg has pledged to spend $15 million on efforts to drive voter turnout, and his staffers could help that push effort in key states.

16. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Oof, still the 1st page :confused:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript-tom-steyer-on-face-the-nation-february-16-2020/

The following is a transcript of an interview with Tom Steyer that aired Sunday, February 16, 2020, on "Face the Nation."

MARGARET BRENNAN: Welcome back to FACE THE NATION. We're joined now by businessman and Democratic presidential candidate Tom Steyer, who is also in Las Vegas this morning. Good morning to you.

TOM STEYER: How are you doing, MARGARET?

MARGARET BRENNAN: Very well. I want to know how you're doing out there in Nevada. What will constitute success for you in that caucus?

STEYER: Look, I want to come in first or second. I've spent more time in Nevada than any other candidate. We have a great team on the ground here. I've gone out of my way to try and make sure that I see as many people face to face. And I believe we're putting together the kind of coalition in Nevada and in South Carolina that a Democrat is going to have to put together to win in November of 2020.

MARGARET BRENNAN: Nevada is a caucus state. Do you have confidence that you won't see a repeat of what happened in Iowa?

STEYER: Well, yesterday was the first day of early caucusing, MARGARET. And almost 12,000 people showed up. I think that it seems in good shape and we're confident that it's going to work here.

MARGARET BRENNAN: All right. I want to ask you, you indicated you're also focused on what happens next at the end of the month in South Carolina. You've been investing a tremendous amount of resources with ad dollars, with- with your time, with your campaign there. Why are you so focused on South Carolina? Do you see that as sort of the final test of your campaign?

STEYER: Well, let me say this, I am really focused on Nevada and South Carolina, MARGARET--

MARGARET BRENNAN: Sure--

STEYER: I think these are two--

MARGARET BRENNAN: But you've got the largest state operation of any candidate out in South Carolina, and I think your wife just moved there. You seem to be all in.

STEYER: Look, we are really serious about South Carolina. We are really serious about Nevada. And I want to make a point. Both of these states are diverse states. Both of these states reflect the kind of diversity that is America and that is the Democratic Party. And I think whoever is going to be the candidate has got to be able to show that he or she can pull together that diverse big tent that is the Democratic Party. And I think that's what we're trying to do here in Nevada. And I know that's what we're trying to do in South Carolina. To go- I was- I think I'm the last person, other than Michael Bloomberg, to get into this race. And I've still spent more time in Nevada than any other candidate and I've spent more time in South Carolina than any other candidate. I really think it's about grassroots. I'm a grassroots person. I built one of the biggest grassroots organizations in the United States, next-gen America. And I really believe in people being on the ground, the candidate being on the ground and seeing people face to face.

MARGARET BRENNAN: You have said because you were a hedge fund manager, that it makes you uniquely qualified, your experience to have a positive economic impact as president. The Federal Reserve chair testified this week that labor force participation, basically, you know, the share of Americans who work is low, is happening because- and in a negative place, because of the opioid crisis and problems with the education system. Is that how you diagnose the problem?

STEYER: Well, let me say this, Mr. Trump is a terrible economic president. He had very short term fixes--

MARGARET BRENNAN: This was his Federal Reserve chairman.

STEYER: I understand that. I'm going to address the Federal Reserve chairman's statements. But this has to do with Mr. Trump. He's running on the economy, but he's really running on a Mar-a-Lago economy where he's given big benefits to rich people and big corporations in the short run. What the Federal Reserve chairman is talking about in terms of opioids and education is how you actually develop long term prosperity and justice. And that is by investing in young people through education, specifically including universal pre-kindergarten, and by dealing with issues of health around the country, including the opioid crisis, including mental health. What Mr. Trump is doing is a very superficial short term juice to the economy through his pals at the Mar-a-Lago Country Club and other rich people. And he's avoiding the actual long term prosperity of Americans that is done by investing in the American people, by making us productive over time. And that means education, health care for every American, a living wage. The wages of Americans--

MARGARET BRENNAN: Right.

STEYER: --are outrageously low. It's a completely different way of thinking, MARGARET.

MARGARET BRENNAN: But when you talk about trying to even the playing field with reparations, something that you've said you support. How do you repair it? Do you say that the divide is about education or are you talking about financial restitution, writing checks?

STEYER: Well, what I've said, MARGARET is this, and you're right, I am the only candidate running for president who will say that he or she is for reparations. But what I've also said is this: the way to figure out the correct solution in this case is I would have a formal commission on race the first day- starting the first day of my presidency to retell the story of the more than 400 years that African-Americans have been here in America, to tell the story not just of legalized injustice and cruelty, but also of the contributions that the African-American community have made--

MARGARET BRENNAN: So you don't --

STEYER: --to the building of America--

MARGARET BRENNAN: --have a specific mechanism yet?

STEYER: Well, correct.

MARGARET BRENNAN: OK.

STEYER: The- what I'm saying is this: in order to come up with solutions, you have to go through together and tell the story, because out of the narrative comes the policy changes.

STEYER: One thing I have said- one thing I have said, MARGARET, is that I would put 125 billion dollars into the historically black colleges and universities, which have lost 42 percent of their federal funding over the last decade--

STEYER: --and which have done a magnificent job over more than a century of being a lifeline for black kids to go to the- to go to colleges and universities when the mainline schools are closed to them.

MARGARET BRENNAN: All right.

STEYER: That's just an example. But the real idea is to come up with a solution together--

MARGARET BRENNAN: Right.

STEYER: --not to mandate one from the top.

MARGARET BRENNAN: Understood. Thank you, Mr. Steyer, for your time. We'll be right back with our political panel. And they're on their way in as we speak.

17. CometsWin

I still like Steyer. He's well versed in the depth of the problems in this country. He's definitely spot on about Trump's short term economy.

ROXTXIA and RayRay10 like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone, including myself, have been ignoring Tom Steyer yet according to several polls he is second in SC. If Biden continues to collapse he could take the state and vault himself into the top tier of candidates.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[Vader]Nooooooooooo!

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

America isn't ready for a candidate that hates tater-tots.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.