1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pour one out for the internet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a long video but it definitely rings true. The internet of today is downright terrible compared to the Golden Age that preceeded it. It's one of the reasons why I still use and financially support ClutchFans. It's a vestige of a bygone era and it would not exist if they tried to create it today.

#1 Ubiquitin, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Bring back napster and kazaa...

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Golden age of sharing

daywalker02 and Eric Riley like this.
  4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Audiogalaxy 4 life

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

This guy knows. Greatest user experience of ALL TIME! Pre-Google YouTube was the best, also. There was no such thing as auto-play!

da_juice and Rocket River like this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I dont have half an hour to sit around but the story of the internet is the story of Columbus in Hispanolia, or the story of the East India Company in India, or the story of the great oil barons, or whatever.

Someone sees something they can sell, and a a few pesky natives/yokels are the only thing stopping them from getting paid they just take it. Either that or someone else sees how free and happy you are and feels the need to control you to save you from yourself because you aren't enough like them.

The Golden Age is created by the inertia involved in the delay between the opening of new horizons and the time the money men or power men get organized enough to control it.

Capitalism giveth, and capitalism taketh away, Amen.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

I watched about 3 minutes of this while I was taking a dump. Agree with @Ottomaton that it's way too long.

This was totally a 'I'm old and things are changing!!!'

There's nothing that this guy is bemoaning is 'gone' that isn't still out there. Like this very forum.

If you choose to be trapped by social media, that's on you. Personally I dumped 99% of it in 2011 and live my online life like a happy Luddite, I guess, only going to news.google.com and other news sites when I want news, and not giving two ****s about what my HS classmates had for lunch.

#7 Xerobull, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    da_juice, elrond, Sajan and 3 others like this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

+1. Things are always changing.
    You don't always have to participate in the change. I avoid facebook/twitter/snapchat.

Been on this forum since 2005. Crazy!

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Funny thing about websites like this. People were pissed back when the WWW started getting popular in the mid-90's because they killed the original connection with the Internet for most people, which was the BBS. Long live FidoNet, ANSI graphics, 300-2400 baud, and eventually V.Everything. lol. Every generation knows it was better in their day. :D

Some the greatest hits of the day :

B-Bob, SuraGotMadHops and KingCheetah like this.