1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden Stats Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Nov 11, 2017.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think Curry is satisfied with the amount of threes he takes given the 3 rings he has.

2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

After looking it up, Harden takes a lower percentage of his shots from 3 as Curry in these past few years, he just takes more total shots per game.

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

What has me being here for only a year got to do with this? You made a stupid comment and I responded.

You'll be right behind Harden when his shots start dropping more consistently (which will happen). I'm willing to bet you had no problem with him taking those shots last season when he went on that run.

Blurr#7 and don grahamleone like this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Wrong. And so obviously silly.

If Curry was a taller, stronger player and had the actual capability to get up more 3 point shots he would be an absolute idiot to not do it.

No different with Klay. If he had the the other skills to go with his ungodly shooting to where he could shoot more 3s, he would do it. And it would absolutely be the right thing to do.

It’s why I’m so disappointed Curry got hurt. People need to see that it’s not that easy when you aren’t on an all star team. All the idiots who thought Curry would just shoot as much as Harden and be a top 3 MVP lock. Stupid thinking. Curry isn’t built for that life.

coyotetex, Blurr#7 and D-rock like this.
  5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Nah... chicken brothers belongs in the category of very long time Harden skeptics/“haters” who really went hard against him prior to his masterful 5 year multi MVP caliber run, but once all that happened had to keep his bullshit down to only when the really bad stuff happened so he could run back with some crap “I told ya so’s” every once in a while.

More of a hides when Harden is rolling and then when a few bad games arise it would be impossible to hide from his crap posts.

Fchowd is actually the president/ceo/possible founder of this group.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hard to imagine a worse take on this.

This literally makes no sense whatsoever.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

delusional LOFs and Harden haters never made any sense

Blurr#7 and don grahamleone like this.
  8. fchowd0311

Does the Warriors franchise care about winning games and rings? Yes? So do you think if they felt that the greatest shooter of all time hoisting more threes would benefit them to win more games, would they do it? I'm gonna go out in a limb and assume "yes".

So why is a inferior shooter taking far more 3pt shot attempts than the greatest shooter of all time?

I'm going to guess complacency with a dash of justification using the "it's the system" argument.

Many posters in this GARM have brain aneurysms when people criticize the system that is in place to mask Harden's severe deficiencies which just enables his bad habits to an extreme.

I can't force you to do anything but it would be nice if posters had a basic amount of respect to just hear and acknowledge a difference opinion regarding Harden in this GARM without being do defensive and lashing out with personal attacks as you can see with the comments below yours.

Can we at least agree on that front? Can you at least explain why my take is so absurd to you? I consider myself at least average intelligence and I don't consider myself extremely dumb so when I don't understand why a take is absurd, it really makes me wonder if I'm being gaslit or you are just being lazy and don't want to give a defense of your accusation that my take is absurd to you. I honestly don't understand why my take is so abhorrent that it's "one of the worst".

9. fchowd0311

I don't think my take is "obviously silly". Curry and ramp up his 3 pt shot total. He has amazing separation skillsets with his handling and quickness so I don't doubt his ability to hoist up 16 three pointers a game.

I think the dynasty Warriors didn't rely on such a high volume of three point shots even though they have the far superior personnel to pull it off is because the Warriors don't want to rely on a high variance shot selection that can fall apart in the playoffs. They would rather use the regular season to practice genuine ball movement and complex offensive sets because that practice in the regular season gives them muscle memory to resort to that play style and not fall apart of they are on a cold streak from 3. It provides them with a genuine plan b which the Rockets don't have because they are reliant on only hoisting as many threes as possible and can't fall back to another more sustainable play style when they are cold.

10. larsv8

Because of math/usage. They had Durant and Klay also world class scorers and they didn't need Steph to carry the load that Harden has too.

If you equalized shot attempts, Curry has a higher shot distribution of 3s taken, so he would average more 3s taken than Harden does.

Its really kind of mind boggling the mental gymnastics you have to resort too here to try and make an argument.

Not sure why you believe shooting / slashing, something Harden is not really world class at, is a reasonable replacement for something he is GOAT level at.

Many people are very honest about Harden's deficiencies: Not in great shape, ref baits, not a disciplined defender, etc. Not mixing up his game offensively and playing off the ball more, just isn't one of them. Its a stupid argument, just stop.

Talk about brain aneurysm.....

Blurr#7 and jordnnnn like this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Listen to Steve Kerr on Episode 2 of the book of basketball 2.0 podcast. It was actually released today and the topic of Curry’s ability to get shots off was discussed...

Kerr said.....”Curry and Durant are different.... Curry is much shorter, can’t get his shot off like Durant who is basically open at all times....”

Trust me. If Curry had Durant’s ability to get shots off whenever he wants he would be shooting way more 3s.

And wouldn’t you know it in that podcast Kerr praised what Houston was doing against them during the run.

lol

coyotetex, D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  12. fchowd0311

I don't understand why it's a stupid argument. Maybe I'm really dense but you really don't delve into nuance of why.

I think mixing it up helps our offense not be so predictable. It's why this team can go on severe droughts. I've notices with other teams, that role players often find ways to score buckets because of offensive systems that allow for misdirection from off ball movement that confuses defenses to make errors on switches which can often lead to a open back door cut. These type of intances are rare with the Rockets offense. Only relying on Harden to be hot from three and relying on role players just to make spot up three pointers because the defense allows them to because they would rather pack the defense in the paint to prevent a Harden lob or finish at the rim is not sustainable in the playoffs. The Rockers need more offensive production from confusing defenses that allow easy sustainable buckets when the team is cold from outside.

This team falls apart when they aren't making threes because they have no plan b. They have no system that can confuse defenses to make mistakes on assignments and switches that allow easy wide open buckets in the paint.

Our offense being so predictable is I think part of the reason for Harden's massive drop off in scoring efficiency relative to other star players in the league when playoffs come. I think our predictability and no plan b is part of why we lost game 7 against the Warriors in 2018.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have been the only team to come remotely close to challenging and beating the healthy Warriors.

Morey/Mike/James have the right idea. We have to somehow keep this Brody tempo, but up this defense to respectable. I believe!!! (Get in damn shape James, etc!!!)

D-rock likes this.
  14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

interestingly Curry is shooter pretty badly this season

vlaurelio and D-rock like this.
  15. larsv8

Do you know what the concept of min-maxxing is?

16. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

James Harden is averaging 37.1 PPG this season! Even higher than last season! 1st in scoring, 4th in assists!

[​IMG]

D-rock, don grahamleone and Deuce like this.
  17. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

He’s cheating and shooting 30fts a game.

pippendagimp likes this.
  18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It’s crazy how every season he gets better statistically points wise. Only year he took a slight dip was his second in Houston after Dwert arrived.

D-rock likes this.
  19. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Steph takes every open three that is available to him.

In order for him to take way more threes, he'd have to create way more opportunities. Steph doesn't have the game to create the volume of threes that Harden creates.

IMHO this is the most undervalued aspect of Harden's game - his ability to create quality shots at volume. No one since Jordan could do that consistently at the same volume. Steph is a better pure shooter. Harden is a better offensive weapon.

20. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

One could argue the greatest shooter of all time is Steve Kerr at a 45.3% 3 point percentage. But no one does because everyone understands that Kerr could only maintain that rate at low volume and only when he was fed the ball for a wide open shot.

Kyle Korver is arguably the best volume three point shooter of all time outside of the Curry / Harden debate. No one believes that Korver could maintain his elite shooter status at the kind of usage rate that Harden has.

Curry is phenomenal. But, it is idiotic to believe that Curry could maintain his shooting percentage at a signficantly increased volume and that he and Kerr have just said "nah, let's under utilize the greatest shooter in NBA history just so we can get other people involved in the offense." For whatever reason (size, endurance, inability to consistently create, whatever) Curry isn't able to create high quality shots at epic volume.

The reason that Harden has such a high usage rate and volume of 3s is that statistically, Harden's 15th or 20th 3 pointer of a game is STILL more efficient on average than any other shot available to Morey / D'A. It's mathematical and irrefutable. The moment that Harden's not able to create that shot, or that the Rockets have a different option that is consistently better at volume than that shot, Harden's volume will drop.