1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas ending judicial elections for black people?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

"Democracy" at work again.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Were they democrats who got elected? Shifting rules is a sad reality of politics. Not shocking at all.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They will always cheat, lie and distort
    anything to not be fair
    They NEVER want fair. . .they want power

They are not honest, they are disgusting

Rocket River

Nook, AleksandarN, CometsWin and 3 others like this.
  5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I dont understand how you can mix the system and give some people voting rights and not others and not violate the "all men have equal rights" bit in the state Constitution.

Seems like it needs to be all one or the other.

JuanValdez, mdrowe00, Nook and 8 others like this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. That seems so crazy. I can't imagine anything like that would hold up any court challenge.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

I m not sure if there is more to this story but if it was it appears to be, I do not agree with this one at all.

Nolen and Andre0087 like this.
  8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would like to hear more about this but if this is what it appears to be, a move by the GOP controlled legislature to restrict the ability of urban (and presumably blue) areas of the state to elect their own judges then this fits a pattern of the nationwide GOP. We’ve already seen how in states like WI and NC they have tried to change the rules to restrict incoming Democratic governors.

mdrowe00, Nook and CometsWin like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

The "merit selection" system with a committee sending a list of candidates to the Gov to appoint and be confirmed by the Senate seems to me to be the best system. Direct election of judges has always struck me as a bad idea.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I usually think direct election of judges is a bad idea. I think restrictive and selective election of judges is an even worse idea.

12. Buck Turgidson

Well yes, it goes without saying that this scheme is horrible. I'd love to see a full list of the reasons why the GOP thinks this is ok.

Abbott has already gone hard after local control in Austin and various other cities (plastic bag bans, development regulations, etc...), it's only a matter of time until he and his cronies do it statewide, if we let them.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Will of the Wipipol

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe a compromise would be appointments at a county level with local ABA or Trial Lawyers chapters providing the recommendation. The electoral process definitely puts jurists in an awkward role between bizarre fundraising appeals and intellectually dishonestly reconciling their legal opinions with popular sentiment and campaign promises; but the fairly stark and pronounced ideological divide between state level officials and local officials of the largest communities makes this idea somewhat suspicious.

Nook likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

In practice it isn’t any better. Merit is arbitrary and you end up just getting people politically connected or socially connected on the list and the person nominated just does the bidding of the body that selects him.

I have seen inside of the process first hand and it nasty.

mdrowe00 and Rashmon like this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its messed up they are going after large urban areas. It makes sense however. The issue is no one knows these people. Harris county has a boatload of judges.

On the same note people in smaller areas have a better chance of actually knowing the candidates.

That being said i think what happened with the black female judges in Houston obviously grabbed attention

This goes back to the Texas constitution like a lot of states passing the buck on making decisions to voters instead of elected officials. In 1845 intentions were well grounded