1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ingram Durant 2.0?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by KingLeoric, Nov 9, 2019.

1. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

At age 22:
    Durant 27.7 pts, 6.2 rb, 2.7 ast, 1.1 st, 1.0 blk
    Ingram 26.0 pts, 7.1 rb, 3.9 ast, 0.8 st, 1.0 blk

Both long with deadly mid and long range shots, can basically shoot over people at will all day.
    Both agile and can drive to the basket and finish.

The two have very comparable numbers and skill sets.

I know people may say the sample size is small for Ingram but keep in mind he also avg-ed 28/7/2 after all star break last year with the Lakers. I think he is the real deal.

#1 KingLeoric, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  2. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Surprised this thread wasn’t started by What.

3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

This guy has always had talent, I think Luke Walton was holding everyone back so I wouldn't be surprised to see Ingram turn into a superstar. Walton was given a pass because Jeanie liked him for some reason, and things are not looking good for him on the Kings either.

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I would love to have Ingram in houston to make a big 3.

5. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Ban.

Stephen_A likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ingram will be MIP this season and get a max deal next summer...he’s very skilled for his size

before he was just a midrange ISO and layups/dunks guy, but now he’s hitting threes at decent volume as well

he’s clearly surpassed Tatum who we’re still waiting on to take a leap

7. omgTHEpotential

Oh damn, Ingram is still only 22... Kinda felt like he's 23-24 at the very least.

BigShasta likes this.
  8. MD_in_Training

If by 2.0 you mean poor man's Durant, then maybe. Ingram is a lot smaller than Durant, isn't an elite shooter, and doesn't have the ball handling skills. Dude is allstar caliber, but I don't see him as perennial MVP candidate.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

What?

Patience likes this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Stop writing these ridiculous posts. No just like luka isn’t lebron. Lack of body of work, no titles, no awards, no all star appearances. Only potential. That’s like saying the guy sitting next to you in your computer engineering class will be the next bill gates. No. Stop.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What indeed.

12. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

It took Durant a couple years to grow to 6'11, Ingram is at 6'9 now I think he can still grow a bit taller.

He is shooting at a high percentage right now and his moves are very Durant like check it out.

13. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yea we are obviously talking about potentials here. We'd have to wait for like 10 years to start an actual career. comparison. The fact these young players can match some the all time greats' early careers is exciting! Plus I did put a question mark right?

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Hate stupid threads like this. Comparing an unproven raw player to an established abs unique talent. The answer is no and potential but not likely. You don’t just become a world class talent the likes of Durant or lebron after hanging around the league for 4 years. Basketball doesn’t work like that. You either have it or you don’t. You can develop into a really good player (dangelo Russell, Zach lavine, Aaron Gordon) but history has shown us players don’t just become a top tier talent by just getting better first few years of their careers. They often start their careers with a splash with potential to become dominant perennial all stars. People often compare these unproven players to top tier unique talents like lebron, KD, MJ or Shaq. These guys are unique talents that may never be duplicated or once a generation type players. So stop just stop.

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Again no. Not the same level. Not at all the same.

roslolian likes this.
  16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I appreciate how you just completely ignored the first 3 years of his career vs KD and instead used a 8 game sample size.

Age 19: KD 20.3 BI 9.4 ppg
    Age 20: KD 25.3 BI 16.1ppg
    Age 21: KD 30.1 BI 18.4 ppg

Stephen_A and heypartner like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Durant by year 4 turned OKC into a playoff team. He may be a cupcake snake but his impact offensively and defensively was among the best in the league. Comparing Ingram to Durant is like comparing House to Kawhi.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Not only would I call Durant's numbers better overall, but the far more salient difference is that Durant was leading a team that won >50 games and only fell in the WCF to the eventual-champion Mavs. As a result, all the advanced stats that measure overall impact heavily favor Durant (WS/48, RPM, BPA, VORP). Ingram and the Pelicans have a long way to go before they look comparable to that.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just for emphasis

Age 20 —> 25.3 ppg
    Age 21 —> NBA Scoring Champ
    Age 22 —> NBA Scoring Champ
    Age 23 —> NBA Scoring Champ

Ingram
    Age 21 —> yawn
    Age 22 —> 11th in league in scoring (won’t make ASG)

da_juice, Ubiquitin and TheRealAllpro like this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, but he IS Brandon Ingram...with his own heat signature.

Durant has always in the discussion for best player in the League. A top 25-30 all time player. It's a lot for BI to live up to.

That said, both were #2 picks, big time pedigree...And, Brandon came out of a much stronger draft.

While Durant came out younger, Brandon is only 22 now....His talent has been hidden to a large degree at both Duke and LAL. How many guys have put up those numbers, anytime..much less at 21? Zion's injury has opened the door for Ingram to put it all on display...Let this kid grow into that frame a bit...become a man. While, I have no doubt he will ever approach KD on the defensive end, I see BI becoming an offensive juggernaut. He's got the handles, with the ability to dish/finish inside/score on the move.(in a myriad of ways). The J from downtown....more than adequate. The rebounding should move North as he, again..fills out.(as well his interior offense/defense) He plays D too....

Watching him play last year, it was evident.

He will most certainly be at MINIMUM, the 2nd best player in that draft, and with all due respect to Zion, quite possibly the best on his team. Which isn't to take anything away from New Orleans. The deal with Lakers will be talked about for a loooong time. Anthony Davis is a great player, but the Pelicans came away with a ridiculous haul. They'll be a force, eventually....maybe for a long time.

KingLeoric and lionaire like this.