1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st Round Matchup: Who do we match up with the best??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Mar 8, 2004.

?

1st Round Matchup: Who do we match up with the best??

1. Sacramento

4 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. Minnesota

218 vote(s)
    53.0%
  3. San Antonio

17 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. LA Lakers

161 vote(s)
    39.2%
  5. Dallas

11 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Texas11

Texas11 Member

Usually shut Duncan down? For the four games against Rockets in 2003 season, Duncan averaged 24.8 points, 11.0 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 3.25 blocks. You called that a "shut down" performance?

2. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

Wow, there are so many buddies picking Lakers. Our record in facing Lakers may be good, but playoff is a totally different story. They are proven champion and Kobe Byrant is probably the clutchest players in the league. And the most important thing is, THE REFS LOVE THEM!!!! Refs' subconscious mind will not easily let the Lakers exit in first round.

Picking Lakers are actually suggesting Kobe and Malone cannot play, which I think will not be the case. Do we remember how unstoppable Lakers are, back in a few months ago?

KH

3. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

hes shooting .405 against us, thats his lowest percentage against a western conference team.

4. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

I wouldnt want to face Lakers. They have had an injury ridled season and their record doesnt reflect the talent on the team.

I'd much rather face the wolves, not to take anything away from them, they are a great team, but they are chockers when it comes to finals and we have proven this season that we can go with them toe to toe.

5. Charvo

Charvo Member

There's no way the Lakers play the Rockets in the 1st round unless the Rockets overtake the Grizzlies for the 6th spot. Grizzlies are playing possibly the best ball in the West now. I don't see that happening. It's either the Spurs or Twolves that the Rockets face depending on who ends up as the Midwest Division leader.

6. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

As far as who I want to see in the playoffs...I guess I'll try to take another spin on this. I want to see the best team in the western conference. I want the Rockets to see just how different it is when playoffs start. (My who we match up well against are in these parenthesis)
    I personally like to face Spurs. They are the defending champions, they know how to win when the game is on the line. The only worry, is bowen hurting someone. (I think we might have the best chance against them anyway. They play a conserved game, and don't have as effective shooters as opposed to Dallas and Sacramento. Now if we could solve the Manu problem we'd be fine.)
    After that I like Sacramento. They play a team game, running up and down the floor. Francis and Cat might take notice and notes how how to run an effective fast-break as it's now the Playoffs. (Sac town and Dallas are teams I say we'd lose to. Good shooting and good fast breaks from both back and front courts are deadly. What holds them back, who knows maybe just bad luck>ie Horry's game winning 3ptr)
    I chose Lakers third, because although they are 3 time champions with 4 future Hall of Famers, it's not going to be fair. Just think about all the fouls/whistles their going to get just because they're superstars? I wouldn't want to be in a game where the refs determined the game. (I like them possibly 3rd. Hopefully like some stated Bryant will be out. As far as Malone exposing our PF, who doesn't know of out PF problem?)
    I pick Dallas fourth, since they play their game. They stick to it, trying to outscore you and making the other team make mistakes and become discontent. (Wouldn't want to play them in playoffs, because they're a jump shooting, run gun type of team that Rockets at the moment can't handle. Whether or not it's due to mental frustration or bad nights, they know how to beat us.)
    Last, I would pick Minnesota. I don't know why I don't want to see them, maybe I hope it's not us that they finally beat in the first round. They're good, really good but that's only proven that playoffs are just somehow a different environment. (If I were going for a Rocket upset, they'd be either 1st or 2nd next to SA)

Too long of a post...guess I'll just go back to lurking again...

7. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Umm excuse me, is this thread about last year's playoff matchups or the upcoming one?

And yeah, Ducan vs. us this year
    Game 1: 8/21 (38%) for 22 points
    Game 2: 2/10 (20%) for 8 points
    Game 3: 10/23 (43%) for 28 points
    Game 4: 10/20 (50%) for 27 points
    He averages 49% and 23 points

He could only shoot his average in 1 out of 4 games and he sucked points wise in half the games (usualy). Yes, 2 out of the 4 because look how many shots in took him to get those 22 in game one. I rest my case.

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Stuck back in 2002 obviously! I guess I'm still used to the old format.

I still stick to my argument that it will be a long series if we face the Lakers or T-Wolves, whereas the Mavs, Spurs and Kings would most likely wipe the floor with us, unless we find the consistency that has been eluding us throughout the season.

9. qrui

qrui Member

2 teams come to mind - the lakers and the wolves. if it's current lakers with kala and kobe on injury list, it'd have to be them. but it's not. by the time the playoff begins kala and kobe will both be back, healthy and well rested. they have rings (shaq and kobe) and experiences (kala and paton and the lot), which we don't. the rox haven't really faced the completed and healthy squard of the lakers yet.

otoh, we have seen the wolves as a whole and we have beaten them on both courts. there should not be any surprises. i'd rather we face them in the 1st round.

10. JamesC

JamesC Member

Thats my thinking exactly. The Rockets do get up to play the Lakers, but you dont wanna face a healthy Lakers team in the playoffs. I'd pick Minnesota.

11. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Here's my thinking. No matter who they play, the Rockets will lose in the first round. So I want the most enteraining series possible, and, for my money, that means Shaq and the Lakers. That would be the marquee matchup of the first round--guaranteed top billing in terms of television and media coverage. The Shaq/Yao rivalry will throttle into overdrive, and think of all the fun matchups, deliciously spread over a 7-game series:

Mobley / Kobe
    Francis / Payton
    Van Gundy / Jackson
    warm bodies / Malone

I doubt we'll win, but it'll be a hell of a good time.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have always been of the view that if you don't think you can beat anybody on a given night, you are not going to be very successful in a playoff series. I am hoping the team can lose the "gee whiz" we are really going attitude and replace it with a "swagger." Like, "the rest of you guys need to be worried about matching up with us."

13. cscyxl01

cscyxl01 Member

Sadly say, our first round opponent will be either SA or DAL.
    Here is the standing and schedule for top 10 west teams,
    Team, Current Lose, Tough Games left
    SAC 16 13
    MIN 19 11
    SA 22 4
    DAL 23 4
    LAL 22 12
    MEM 24 10
    HOU 26 11
    DEN 31 13
    UTA 32 8
    POR 33 12