1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Michael Bloomberg for President 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

Nothing new is happening with Bloomberg. He's said for a while now that he's against Warren and Sanders, and if Biden falters, he'd run. The Alabama thing is simply a legal requirement because their ballot deadline is early. Beyond that, he's still on the sideline waiting to see what happens with Biden.

That said, his entry would only hurt the moderates he wants to elect, and it's really a bit too late for him to enter and win himself, so at this point, it's almost certainly a lot of ego-stroking and attention-seeking. I'd say 98% chance he's not running.

2. Nook

Nook Member

He leaked he was going to re-enter some time ago. Look at the Judge Judy endorsement.

He entered after concluding that Biden wasn't great.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Now you have somebody that doesn’t scare the hell out of everyone, let the debating begin!

4. Nook

Nook Member

There are a lot of issues that he would have to address.

If he backs down some on gun control I think he can navigate those waters well enough. He wasn't going to really get any of the Republican vote anyway and it isn't like the Democrats score terribly well with those that make the Second Amendment a priority.

Policy on economics he can do well, and spending will not be a concern. He will also ease the concerns of Wall Street.

His biggest problem IMO is that he is a short New York Jew that has to win swing states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Arizona.

I do believe he can win Florida but I really doubt he wins much of the other swing states unless he is a master at pivoting away from his roots like Trump did.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. I guess there's that, too

Nook likes this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#66 Ottomaton, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

He has 88 days until Iowa and about 50 billion dollars at his disposal.

Getting on television often will not be hard at all as he is very good with the media.

He is a master at organization and is extremely well connected with people that own media conglomerates and other powerful people.

There is no way to know how it hypothetically would play out but I would only say if he chooses to 100% focus I think he has a shot because he has high upside. As it is, who would have a better shot at winning the nomination? Warren and Biden?

King1, Hakeemtheking and mick fry like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

It shouldn't matter but it does matter.

Even the Federalist article made reference to Jew Fran Drescher.

In places like Pennsylvania and Ohio and Wisconsin it will matter as the stereotype of a rich NY Jew is alive as well in more rural areas.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

honestly I think I'd rather see Hillary re-enter the race

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Surprising no one has pointed out that he's 77 years old.

That makes him Joe's senior.

If he's elected, the Illuminati Lazarus Pit will go on overdrive.

Andre0087, arkoe and B-Bob like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Anything to make the Dems look bad right?

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

No way Bloomberg serves more than 1 term, if elected. The wife suggested that if he enters the race, he may ask Stacey Abrahams to be his VP. She would definitely offset many of Bloomberg's deficits with the progressive wing of the party.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

These billionaires are having an anxiety attacks. They are hoarders ie. have clinical anxiety. How sick they are would be obvious if when you tried to enter their front door you were buried by stacks of dollar bills spilling out the doors.
    1) see the crying billionaire https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...prospect_of_trump-warren_election_i_care.html

2) Even the "good one" Bill Gates might vote for Trump if you tax him too much.
    https://gizmodo.com/bill-gates-doesnt-rule-out-voting-for-trump-if-democrat-1839686670
    3) Their whole non profit philanthropy bit is bs, too.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That isn't always a winning strategy for a duly desinated representative of the city, county and state of New York.

#75 arkoe, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    heypartner and B-Bob like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

In fairness Gates and Buffett and other have said they are in favor or large tax increases against those making over a billion dollars. I want to say Gates has said that he would gladly support doubling the effective tax rates for the super rich. The issue seems to be how much is too much. Is taking 50% the right amount? 75%? That is where it becomes an issue as there is a point where it is too much.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There is no moral argument for having that amount of money.

Not to mention, income inequality is the single factor present in every major empire's collapse.

There needs to be massive disincentive to crazy wealth levels.

Should you be able to work hard, have a good idea, and be wealthy enough to not work or never have problems again...yes.

Should you be able to control governments, entire markets...no.

There should not be billionaires.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd love to see him run because it would hurt Biden. If you could simply replace Biden with Bloomberg, I'd feel much better about the primary.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, no, not at all. The Gates Foundation funds a lot of important work, IMHO. That's just for one.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He's one of the worst "OK for me but not you plebs" guy around.

Has a love for helicopters and airplanes whilst blaming no NYC flooding infrastructure on climate change. He uses shut down helipads against the rules on weekends for quick jaunts to his multiple vacation homes.

I don't see this guy winning the heartland. If some guy from Wisconsin has to choose between two a-hole new yorkers, he will pick the guy who at least lies and says he likes him.