1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets starting five best in league so far

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Nov 7, 2019.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The post says the rockets have the best starting 5 in the league according to net rating. You left that part out. That doesn't mean our starters are the best players in the league, it just means they're #1 in net rating. The rockets starters have played 83 minutes and the score during those 83 minutes is 227-175. That doesn't mean other lineups aren't struggling (they are), it's only a statement about our starting 5 when they play together. Similarly, the kings starting lineup has played 74 minutes and during those 74 minutes the score is 199-163. That's really good, second best in the league, and the fact that they aren't winning games isn't because their starting unit is playing poorly.

It seems like you're trying to make these stats say something that they don't.

D-rock, Richie_Rich and Blurr#7 like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair, the damn Suns look amazing right now.

D-rock and Kornel87 like this.
  4. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

James harden has been ball watching alot. But thank God that House actually plays defense. So we have House, Tucker, and Russ's energy in the defense department. Rockets probably will end up with the 1st seed.

5. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

The Kings are 2-6 and have in fact lost by 30 twice. So yes, what I'm trying to make these stats say is they don't mean ****...to me of course.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Don't think you understand what net rating is or how it is useful.

7. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

If you really needed this stat to tell you Gordon has been complete trash, I have nothing else to say to you.

8. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

He’s not saying that. But he’s right, you don’t understand net rating and that’s okay. Instead of banging your head into a wall how about you just learn.

harold bingo likes this.
  9. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Then please, oh great one, enlighten me on how these stats are so useful and can help us not just squeak by teams we should handle, and lose to the Heat by 30.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why are u being so dense? None of the Kings lineups u even posted are the one that is being referenced when talking about their positive net rating. When the Kings play a certain lineup, they play very well. However, that lineup can’t play the entire game, and when it’s not on the floor, they get killed. Why is something so simple so hard to understand?

*sigh*

D-rock, Richie_Rich and Blurr#7 like this.
  11. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Maybe because they were simply posted to show that the Kings starters were in fact blown out multiple times?? I'm over here juggling 10 different people coming at me yet you're the ones getting confused, too funny.

#91 CircaSurvive, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  12. JackLordsHair66

I get that this stat indicates we are just fine with our starting 5 as a defensive unit, but the eye test tells me something different tbh. Against the Bucks, Heat, and Nets (O) the D (SL and bench) only looked marginally decent in the first half of the Bucks game and frankly speaking the Bucks were missing a fair amount of open shots that they didn’t miss in the second half and you saw a 23 point swing for a loss, no way tat was all on the second unit. The Heat just blew our doors off in the first half, ok so Ego started and he isn’t the best defender against long athletic SGs like Miami has but again, 46 points in that first qtr was not scored on the bench we are down 36-12 6/7 mins in, that can’t all be attributed to Ego being in there vs House. The Nets pretty much got and hit any shot they wanted against the SL and bench, and the only reason we kept that close was their D isn’t that great either.

The other teams we’ve played are not exactly the top tier teams in either conference either, Wash, OKC, Grizz, GS, Pels and we gave up an avg of 122.4 ( yes the Wash game is statistically an anomaly, but it happened) in all those games, that’s not exactly championship defensive material there if you ask me, again the eye test tells me this team is nowhere near the defense those stats say we are, starting line up or not. Morey has to figure out a way to get that fixed as soon as he possibly can, because I just do not see how we hang with the the better teams in the both conferences otherwise.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So MDA is right to try and play the starters as many minutes as possible!?!

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

none of the lineups u posted are of the starting lineup they’ve used that hasn’t been getting blown off the floor...you’re out here posting a starting lineup with Bagley who hasn’t even played since opening night due to injury and think you’re actually making a point...lmao

all u did was post +/- from their 1st 3 games as if they hadn’t changed their lineup since then or played more games since then...also, that +/- info is useless since the starters also play with some of the bench which is why the net rating of certain lineups is used and not +/- for individual players in the starting lineup...all you’ve demonstrated is that u don’t know what you’re talking about

Richie_Rich, Wulaw Horn and Blurr#7 like this.
  15. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Actually the team was only blown out twice (Suns and Jazz) the Suns game got out hand in the 3/4 quarter it was close before then. The Jazz were up 10 in the 1st but then blew it open.
    Sac has actually been pretty competitive. If you actually cared instead of being so obtuse you could go back and read how net rating works and what it uses as parameters.
    I’ll give you a hint tho, +/- uses an individual players impact not taking into account who else is on the court ( which Is why it’s flawed) net rating gives you the impact of a group of players on both sides of the court based on minutes played together.

Wulaw Horn and Reeko like this.
  16. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Pretty remarkable how you all manage to piggy-back off one another but can't even be bothered to follow how the conversation got to where it is.

I simply posted the +/-'s in response to this...

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Not surprised the bench is shyt when you mclemore coming in bricking wide open shots and being natural undersized and abused on defense

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's been like that since 99. He's just not nearly as entertaining in his old age.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

which was in response to this...

I'm simply looking at wins bud, you know the only stat that really matters? But not even to mention I've watched the Kings STARTERS get blown the **** out multiple times, but they're the second best in the entire league?? Got it...This is a classic example of why people hate us and our analytics, flaunting some goofy ass stat when we've yet to prove a damn thing.

none of the starting lineups that were “getting blown the fck out” multiple times are the one that has been producing the positive net rating after changes were made...something you’re still not able to understand

since they’ve made changes, they’be won 2 games, and haven’t lost a game by more than 7...their starting lineup has been producing, so again, u don’t know what you’re talking about

yes, a starting lineup with Bagley, and the ones they used their 1st few games sucked, but nobody is talking about those lineups cause they haven’t been using them since and it’s not what’s being referenced

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

dumb-ass?