1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, May 10, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Well if Kendrick Perkins says so... :rolleyes:

Those of you wanting us to fire MDA during the season, keep in mind that Tilman is not going to open his wallet to bring in a high-priced coach, especially when his GM is on record as saying that the head coach is one of the least important factors when it comes to winning a title. And if he's still paying MDA for the rest of the season, that wallet opens even less.

Do you really want to bring in a Walmart-discount coach?

BenjaminChen, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Wright says he wants to keep coaching college ball; but Nick Saban said he wanted to keep coaching
    the Miami Dolphins a month before he bolted to college.

Wright or Bennett would be the equivalent of Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan or Hoiberg

Yes a chance, but I’m tired of the same old retreads like Thibs, JVG, SVG. They seem outdated to today’s game.
    The college coaches have more of a grasp of it. Harden and Westbrook are good enough to adapt.
    MDA is still living 2005; which was ahead of its time then but puts us behind the 8 ball vs today’s
    wing focused schemes. Hopefully Morey can bail MDA out by acquiring another wing or PF (moving Tucker
    to Wing).

Take care my friend.....it will all be worked out by season’s end, if not sooner.

saleem likes this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks dear Apache. I will take care of myself. Let’s hope for the best.

daywalker02 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

As defensive assistant coach, big YES.

But as HC, not a good idea. Bringing in rookie coaches with zero pro experience is signal that team is rebuilding. You will lose both Harden and Russ if things go south due to growing pains.

Harden and Westbrook's window is right now because that window is small and shrinking.

Fans just do not understand how much players, especially vets, love playing for D'Antoni.

Gray_Jay, FrontRunner and kjayp like this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

but do players love playing for MDA bc he gives them all the green light to chuck - while not holding starters accountable for doing the dirty work - like defense, boxing out, rebounding... Meanwhile starters get their minutes (typically and then some) regardless of certain efforts... vets can get minutes bc MDA doesnt typically trust younger players...

I mean is it like when you were in school and loved the teacher who let you loaf and have fun - while dreading the ones that would push you and hold you accountable?

Sure, MDA helps enhance players offensive stats - which typically results in better future contracts - so players gotta like that... but is he doing what is best for our goal of actually winning a championship?

I mean there are so many fundamentals that we oftentimes seem oblivious to... i gotta attribute it to effort and accountability... I'm sure every professional basketball player knows how to box but we dont seem to do it with any regularity...

I just really think we need an authoritarian who's gonna push guys... an RA or JVG type...
    I think at this point, MDA has been fired enough times that he isnt willing to risk future paychecks by pushing guys to do the dirty work... he just keeps his mouth shut and runs his offense...

[​IMG]

smp and Gray_Jay like this.
  6. alethios

alethios Member

kjayp likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Because JVG is likeable as a commentator and because he's become such a great rep for H-Town over the years, people forget how painful it was watching his teams crawl at a snail's pace up and seeing his dour countenance on the sideline, grimacing at even the good plays.

Besides, it'll never happen. Tilman would never pay enough to get JVG in. If he decides to change coaches, expect a low-cost replacement.

8. vick

vick Member

No new coach this season.JVG would be great,but Tilman won not pay for 2 head coaches this year. So Listen, and shut rhe Hell up. Damnit.

topfive likes this.
  9. alethios

alethios Member

You're right - I thought it was comical how JVG admonished NBA teams for doing minute restrictions.

topfive likes this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes players like playing for D’Antoni because he pushes offense and no defense (his reputation over the years).
    One gets you paid while the other is hard work.

But players like winning as well and D’Antoni hasn’t proven to be able to get beyond WCF’s.
    I’m a believer that his system could win with true SF’s, but it’s just a gimmick and unimaginative Offense
    while using guards predominantly. Very beatable in many facets of the game.

This notion that you can outscore everyone without defense gets you by in the regular season; but an early exit in the playoffs. With me it’s a matter of the Rockets getting another true wing to go with House and D’Antoni having
    the backbone to actually play them major minutes. D’Antoni pulled the rip cord on House (Faried also) way too early last playoffs imo. Will D’Antoni have enough confidence in House by season’s end or revert
    back to his Suns days of going small......which couldn’t get past the WCF’s (sometimes as the favorite and number 1 seed......winning 60+ games a year).

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stick to the side of Kendrick Perkins and Jay Williams and see what happens. Richard Jefferson too.

Hate to see you tards joining the clown car...

RustyHarden likes this.
  12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

just curious what you think, which of this players last year shouldn't have been given the greenlight by their coaches to "chuck" from behind the arc?

Ego, Lillard, Beal, Doncic, Lowry, Mirotic, Covington, Mccolum, Josh Richardson, Cp3, Gerald Green, Oladipo

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Under MDA, Rockets are 2nd to only the GSW in wins. Same GSW that pundits claim to be the greatest team in NBA history.

Let that sink in.

Ronkol and RustyHarden like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Rockets with Ariza and Luc MaM went to the WCF’s and should have won if Luc did not dislocate his shoulder
    and CP3 did not tweak his hamstring..............very competitive

Rockets (last season) without Ariza/Luc or a real SF platoon lost in 2nd rd ......looked very weak and over matched

Don’t lump the 2 together. Last season enforcement of freedom of movement put smaller guys at a disadvantage
    from holding/ pulling/ pushing defensively...especially at the rim Times change, even in the short span of time you
    are mentioning.

Coaches need to move and game plan to the times, not revert back to 15 years ago and hope it works.
    We are taught history for a reason, so we don’t repeat what does not work. Waste time.

Again I believe Morey recognizes the error that D’Antoni is making and will hopefully correct our SF/Wing
    deficiencies by trade deadline. If not D’Antoni, the HOF’er, will be gone by summer. Just MHO.

I guess I didn’t make myself clear, my apologies, but I’m saying their are two tales of Mike D’Antoni.
    The champion of the regular season (using a small lineup to win tons of games while with the Suns).
    and the bust coach who fails miserably in the playoffs. So please don’t quote regular season records.
    I’m well aware of D’Antoni going small and winning 60 games a season by having his small lineup
    run circles around those big lumbering PF/Centers of the early 2000’s.

But his best playoff showing was 17/18 playoffs with Ariza and an injured Luc.......but was it an anomaly?
    D’Antoni using real SF’s (he did not trust House last year after sporting great numbers as a starter).

#494 ApacheWarrior, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    daywalker02 likes this.
  15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Agreed that bringing in a rookie head coach to a team with two very established headstrong veterans, like Harden and Westbrook, is going to end badly. But the guys can like MDA all they want: if they don't start playing defense, MDA will be the first guy fired. And it will be the players' fault. So if they love him, start working harder for him.

This Warriors game was an excellent continuation of their improvement on defense. Under 40 for both 3s and the field, essentially tied in rebounding. True, it's not your older brother's Warriors anymore, but it's better than say, another Wizards performance. Now let's see them do it against a mediocre to good team.

JW86, HP3 and D-rock like this.
  16. bmelo

bmelo Member

Bruh this Warriors squad is Euroleague level

Gray_Jay likes this.
  17. smp

smp Member

Haha. I remember. You are absolutely correct.

18. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Then wouldn't it have been really bad if they let this team shoot over 50% on them? Or get crushed on the boards by them? Neither of which happened. Baby steps.

I did say, 'let's see what happens when they play a mediocre to good team.' But to just bag on them regardless of whether they perform well or poorly, just makes you a blind hater. No one wants to read a hater. Well, unless you're really creative with the insults, but I'm no Dave Chappelle.

D-rock likes this.
  19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

jus thinkin... MDA + JVG would either be the greatest coaching duo of all time - or a miserable train wreck that would have somebody getting pissed off and leaving the party early... lol

Think about it...
    MDA running the offense and pushing the offensive tempo...
    JVG preaching defense and holding guys accountable for lack of effort...

Like i said... greatest duo ever - or a train wreck... but i'd love to see it! lol

Maybe somebody can tell Tillman that ponying up for that would fall under the heading of "whatever it takes..."

Coaches salaries is just straight dollars... no luxury or repeater taxes there... we dont even have to sign guys to fake contracts to falsely inflate their trade value... lol

20. bmelo

bmelo Member

But see it isn't effort thing. They can put an effort all they want but this roster as constructed with this coach is not winning championship in todays NBA and that's what you aim for having two mvps