1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

The Facebook/CBS Sports broadcast was a lot better than I'd imagined. I thought it would be like ESPN3 with the bad angles and announcers that sound like they're doing it remotely from a studio in Connecticut. It was like a game you'd see on television, maybe even crisper. Weird.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  2. RequiemForATeam

Any fellow Coogs in Orlando, FL area? If so, any watch parties for games? Anyone planning on going to Nov 2 game @ UCF?

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Kyle Allen made to sportscenter for interview. unfreaking believable.

4. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Poloshirtbandit

6. Poloshirtbandit

https://gocoogs.com/justin-murphy-leaving/

This season, just days after D’Eriq King and Keith Corbin announced their intention to redshirt, Murphy was involved in an altercation with a teammate during a workout and was forced to sit out the UNT game. At the time, it was said to be a knee injury flare-up.

Within hours of the GoCoogs report, Murphy was deleted from UHCougars.com. Not just removed from the active roster but fully deleted.

Nook likes this.
  7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Rumor is that the altercation was with King. I'm sure he isn't the only one frustrated with the situation. Gotta be galling for a senior transfer.

8. Poloshirtbandit

Not sure how long this stays up but:

Hippieloser likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Murphy just went nuclear on Holgerson. Wow.

So it's true. They really did give up on this season.

I knew the seniors who couldn't redshirt would feel betrayed.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

Can't blame the guy for being pissed. Tanking in college ball is just wrong.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I hope this doesn't gain national traction as the story itself (Dana being a prick and UH being the first program to deliberately tank and abuse the redshirt rule) is terrible but the reaction by UH fans has been predictably awful and childish. I'm embarrassed.

Edit: Counterpoint -- if the team succeeds next year everyone will struggle to even remember this happened, plus hey this is a multi million dollar business so play to win amirite.

#6111 DonnyMost, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  12. Poloshirtbandit

I'm thinking NCAA is going to amend this rule for next season. Maybe limit it to freshmen and sophomores... Not really sure.

DonnyMost likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Add another reason to pay college players - ethically challenged (state employee) coaches gaming the system to line up another multimillion dollar payday.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think we're at the dawn of a second Gladchuk era. I may re-enroll just for the free-ass tickets. Maybe they can have Carl Lewis "run his last race" like they did during halftime at the Pitt game (sorry, dad).

Nook likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-takeawa...liating-loss-whats-next-at-usc-062436192.html

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Houston president Renu Khator once issued the most short-sighted, unprofessional and self-destructive presidential comment in recent college football history. She told a group of supporters in 2016: “We’ll fire coaches at 8-4.”

There’s a good chance that Houston could end up 4-8 in the first year under Dana Holgorsen. The Cougars were blown out at UCF, 44-29, to fall to 3-6 and 1-4 in the AAC. The loss continues the spiral of what started as a promising season.

The biggest story remaining at Houston will be the future of talented quarterback D’Eriq King, who accounted for 50 touchdowns in 2018. King announced a redshirt earlier in the season after Houston’s 1-3 start to preserve another season of eligibility.

There’s little chance that King will return to Houston, as he’s expected to enter the transfer portal in the postseason and garner interest from top programs like LSU, Georgia and Florida State. (Former Houston OC Kendal Briles is the offensive coordinator at FSU, and wherever Briles is coaching next year would loom as a potential landing spot for King.) Don’t discount LSU, which will need to replace Heisman favorite Joe Burrow.

As for the current Cougars, they close against Memphis, at Tulsa and Navy, which means they’ll be heavy underdogs in two of the three games. Holgorsen has heavy guarantees in the five-year, $20 million contract he signed upon arrival, so his job is in no danger.

Holgorson’s quarterback acumen will likely allow him to find a solid replacement on the transfer waiver wire and kick off what amounts to a rebuild. But his first season has been an unmitigated disaster after taking over a team that went 8-5 in 2018. For Houston administrators, this year has been a karmic boomerang for the gaudy displays of administrative arrogance.

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I really think Pete Thamel is starting to come around on the program, guys.

DonnyMost likes this.
  17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It was an odd comment that absolutely no one called her on at the time. If you think back to twenty years ago when UT replaced their football and basketball head with major conference coaches and rebuilt both programs over a single winter, while UH hung on to Brooks and Helton; I think just having our own Red McCombs, Joe Jamail or whatever Khator got a little giddy, or Fertitta told her upfront he was going to help bankroll Holgorsen's hiring. It probably won't really sting unless Applewhite can hold on and rise in Bama's staff, or quickly transition to the head job at another Power 5 school.

#6117 Dairy Ashford, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  18. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like this year is why it was correct to fire the previous 8-4 coach.

Nook, Jturbofuel and Poloshirtbandit like this.
  19. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

If the coach we have now does not quit ranting and pacing the sidelines like a deranged idiot and make questionable decisions where he can impact the season in a significant way, no sane parent is going to want their child to play here. I hope I am wrong about Holgerson but so far I am not impressed.

20. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I hope you are wrong too. There are many reasons to hope he works out. One of which is UH is wedded to him. Made a real commitment and I think, for good or bad, he is our guy for the next five years. If he does work out, he could be a lifer, which would be a real plus for the program.

One of the keys in hiring him was that he was a head coach. Instead or reaching on a coordinator Coogs stepped up in weight class and hired a 'proven' HC. There are about 60 Power 5 teams, so assuming Dana to be middle of the pack he is about the 30th best coach in college football. Presumably that person knows some things about running a program.

I see Dana's situation a bit like Gruden with the Raiders last year. With the security of a long term contract, you can make long term decisions. Trading Khalil Mack seemed a poor decision, and John certainly was a ranter. But a year later Raiders seem on a track. Where the track ends is still to be determined, but they do seem to have some sort of cohesive plan and direction.

Dana, who looks awful on the sidelines (get a haircut!, looks like he came from the beach, and I've never been a visor fan) is taking his medicine this year with an eye on the future. Good article in the Chronicle about who comes in next year. I think the entire freshman class red shirted. Some good transfers. Red shirting King is a risk, we will see if it turns out. Active red shirt management of Car and others is a chip toward the future and at the very least is innovative.

As I said, Coogs are all in. The money is an issue. I don't see how UH can keep up this level of spending on sports without a better financial package = IE power 5 TV contract. Packing the stadium is all that we as fans can do right now. If at the end of this contract things are as bad as they are last year/right now I fear we will drop from the Dana Holgorsen era back to the Dana Dimel era.

Link to the red shirt status
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp... (Mobile)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

And speaking of visors