1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We probably, literally have the worst defense of all-time.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LorneMalvo, Nov 3, 2019.

1. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

12 points below league average coming into tonight.

That’s several points worse than the worst all-time.

Hakeemtheking and Rocketeer4Life like this.
  2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

The pathetic thing is Rockets seems never think defense is an issue.

They still think their three points shooting is not enough!

jeevinesh, Theking and BasketMAD like this.
  3. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

The offense was pretty hard to watch, too.

4. thekad

thekad Member

Anyone not blinded by flash knew this would happen when trading Paul for Westbrook.

ronclone and jeevinesh like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

CP3 at this point is going to be as bad if not worse in many situations because he's much slower and smaller than Westbrook.

CP3 is more disciplined but at some point, old age and being short overcome discipline.

#5 fchowd0311, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. HRox832

HRox832 Member

I'm so sick of the Rockets playing like offense is the only side of basketball. Sadly, I don't think that's going to change as long as we have D'Antoni as coach.

Kornel87 and PeterKingX like this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Blaming Westbrook for this is foolish. Yes he has his part to play in this, but a 34 year old oft-injured PG isn't gonna solve what's wrong here. Our head coach has made a career simply not giving a **** about defense, our star player has made a career not giving a **** about most aspects of defense, and our owner has shown no willingness to sacrifice any of his bottom line in order to bring in players/coaches that DO give a **** about defense. Honestly, I WISH it was as simple as swapping CP for WB.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If we are going to be tossing around the word "literally" in Thread Titles ... thought I'd add
    • GSW's defense is "literally" ranked last, and 1.1 points worse.

Literally
    :p <-- figurative salute to OP

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This is all a very literal matter.
    [​IMG]

10. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

Dantoni has to GO!!!

Rocket PR and Theking like this.
  11. ballhandling

ballhandling Member

I want to see a new coach who will actually focus on defense.

12. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Before tonight. They just got 122 ORTG put on them.

13. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Actually look up Paul and OKC’s defensive stats. Hell even watch him closely in literally any game he’s played already.

Paul is still BY FAR better than Westbrook defensively and it is not even close.

hakeem94 and PuzzledFan like this.
  14. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

I expected so myself, but watching OKC and watching the Rockets, it’s not the case. So far, OKC with so many young, 2nd year guys playing, a time when they are still expected to be not so impactful overall on defense, they are elite on defense, which is impressive after losing Paul George, and even Adams has been out for a bit. Paul looks great with them defensively, even with his physical shortcomings. Westbrook really should be much better on defense though, that’s why it is so perplexing.

The thing is that he can fit into a solid defensive team, but I don’t think he can help you improve you defense. Doesn’t seem like a defensive leader, and individually he’s not any sort of special defensive player. So the team will need outside help maybe, or something...

15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Bzdelick is sorely missed. Feritta is a ****ing moron.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

You are mistaken and your data is a lie. We don't have a front court.

pr0wler likes this.
  17. mikeshinoda

mikeshinoda Member

They are mentally not ready for playing defense. Our players are either lazy, or with big ego, or lack of heart. PJ is the only exception but this won’t last.

18. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

This was MDA response to loss: "We're not in trouble," Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni said after his team fell to 3-3. "But if we think we're not in trouble, then we're in trouble -- if that makes sense. You've got to have that appropriate fear and understand that it's a new year and you don't start with any games and we've got to work our way back."

Opponents are averaging 128 ppg in 6 games and he does not feel the urgency to point out specific issues, especially defense. The team needs a fresh recipe for success rather than depending solely on lazy 3pt strategy and poor defensive schemes.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

For anyone saying "this is what happens when we traded CP3 for Wesbrook," do y'all not remember the first two months of last season? We were bottom five defense then as well.

It's clearly an effort issue, not a personnel issue. I blame the coaching staff.

hakeem94 and arno_ed like this.
  20. jowman

jowman Member

Organization stinks from top to bottom. Trade harden and Westbrook to contenders for Christ sake instead of wasting their prime get back some picks the idiot morey traded away.

This team is gonna be mediocre for a long time. With no fix in sight.