1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are missing a leader.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Nov 3, 2019.

1. rockets13champs

Losing CP3 for Westbrook May have been an upgrade basketballwise but this man. Legit, was the heart and soul of the rockets. You lose your “soul” you lose your identity. And this team has no identity. One thing harden thought he has, but he doesn’t is the leadership cp3 had. I don’t think he’ll ever have it at this point, he’s become a narrow minded basketball player. There are more ways to win that to Chuck 3s and chase fouls. We gotta look at other ways to win. Harden or Westbrook need to step up and become the leader or leaders. This team can win, but it needs a lot of HELP.

1. Effort on defense
    2. Ball movement
    3. Leadership

Three things need to be fixed.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We are also missing accountability. Too many people blaming others on defense.

JW86, bmelo, Lawlruschang and 4 others like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Paul became a whiny b****, showed up out of shape and performed poorly most of last season.

You're just being selective about what you remember. Having flaws doesn't mean you're not a leader. Also, you can win it all without a clear intangibles leader.

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm pretty sure we are missing a scheme too

Lawlruschang and Richie_Rich like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It appears that we have decided to deny that 2018 ever happened. I don’t blame y’all, because CP3 was more MIA on the Rockets than MIA was on the Rockets tonight...

#5 RudyTBag, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

CP3 didn't come in out of shape. He came in with old legs. He was lean and in shape. He also came into a team with some system shock with how absurdly unaccountable Harden was.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If we got CP3 back right now we would have the same record or worse.

Bo6, xtruroyaltyx, sammy and 2 others like this.
  8. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

I know one in Oklahoma city

9. fchowd0311

Yup. CP3 is done. He has a great basketball mind and is a extremely hard worker but the dude's legs are done. He wouldn't help this team.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kevin McHale: James Harden is not a leader

Leading a team not part of James Harden's personality

"James can see all the passes and do everything, but James is not a leader," McHale said. "He tried being a leader last year, tried doing all that stuff. I think Chris Paul is going to help him just kind of get back into just being able to hoop and play and stuff like that.

"But on every team, you have to have a voice. On every team, you have to have somebody that when they say something, people listen. Like if James tells you, 'You've got to play better D,' are you going to listen to him? Like you've gotta be kidding me. I lived through it. Believe me, everybody in the locker room did this," McHale said, putting his head down with his hand on his forehead. "Every time he mentioned defense, everybody would put their head down."

McHale believes Harden will benefit from Paul's leadership ability as well.

"Chris Paul is going to push him, too," McHale said. "When he does that stab in the backcourt, doesn't get a foul, looking at the referee, not running back, Chris Paul is going to jump his butt. That's going to make him a better player.

"I just think Chris Paul will be good for James Harden. It will allow him to just be what he is, which is a phenomenal basketball player, not trying to lead a team. That's just not his personality."

Vivi, Air Yordan, cheke64 and 2 others like this.
  11. mastan

mastan Member

Before or after Chris Paul Rockets are a mediocre team in Harden era...they were an elite team only with CP3... 2017-18 Chris Paul was superb.

And what you're calling 'whiny' was probably legitimate complain from him.

12. fchowd0311

I really wonder what Harden's teammates are thinking in their heads when he shouts at them over a bad defensive possession.

13. Mr. Space City

The leader was bzdelik.

Remlap likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

In there 2018 run it was a combination of CP3, Ariza and Harden. 2017-2018 Harden was the most engaged(outside of iso plays), in shape version of himself I've ever seen. The only year where him shouting at teammates for defensive lapses was merited because he was actually engaged most of the season.

2017-2018 Harden was peak Harden for me. I know people really love his last season's scoring outburst but he was far more one dimensional this past season.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Annoyed. Frustrated.

Like he looked at Chris, "You can't even beat your man. Just shut up and watch me."

They probably tell him, "You can't even guard your man. Just shut the **** up!"

and then they're traded away. ;)

Chris wants to coach James," a source described as "familiar with the stars' dynamic" told ESPN. "James looks at him like, 'You can't even beat your man. Just shut up and watch me.'

Vivi likes this.
  16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Leadership is so overrated. CP3 choked on that leadership countless times

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@J.R. do you think a coach can be the leader ?

I dont know Harden's personality , i dont know how the other guys see him/respect him/ follow him .

Do you have to be the best player to be the leader ? Could WB be the leader ?

I do think CP3 is a smarter player than WB and we will miss that. That being said, WB can do things CP3 can no longer do physically , and all the smarts in the world wont save you if your body cant move fast enough.

That being said, WB can't shoot nearly as well , which, in MDA's mind might be the only thing that matters.

I just think that if the team lacks leadership or vision ... well, harden has some blame , but thats more of an organizational failing IMO to not help your player develop that. Many young players come into the league immature ( both in their game and in as a professional)

Personally, i think the coach should be the team's #1 leader.

18. Red Nation RGV

I'm starting to cringe when Beard berates players on the court in front of all. It's one thing going up to a guy and talking to him angrily but its another when you yell from the basket and the guy is at the top of the key with plenty of players in between.

It'll start to wear on the "others" as Big Diesel says.

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

no leadership. no identity. no accountability. this is what you get when pieces are questionable fits.

mastan likes this.
  20. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

No. 1 should be coach. Every team knows MDA’s game plan of out-scoring opponents by barrage of 3s (contested & uncontested). When its not falling team is doomed because there’s no Plan B. Defence is non-existent under MDA. Leadership will develop when team have proper strategic game plan. Every game its the same iso with hardly any ball movement so opponents knows exactly what to do. It’s just Hardens greatness that saves Rockets at times.

Bearded13, cheke64 and snowconeman22 like this.