1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

amazing discussion in that case. explains the nonsense and name calling.

cml750 likes this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beto ruined himself for ever running statewide in Texas again with his desperate appeals to stand out in the Democratic primary. He could probably run for mayor of El Paso or hope for a post like DHS Secretary (after positioning himself as a gun control + border candidate) if the party wants to keep him visible. However, I think he's cooked. It's a shame because he ran the best statewide campaign that a Democrat had run in decades through sheer willpower.

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree. His gun stance is just a non-starter now in TX, even though (emotionally) I understand where his sentiment came from, after seeing all the bodies in El Paso's awful mass shooting.

T_Man likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It is pretty amazing. Right wing gun nuts’ insecurities have been coddled for far too long. It’s not name calling... it’s the reality that should have been realized long ago... that reality that Dems should stop caring about the reaction of gun nuts who would never vote for them if their left but depended on it. Dems should say F them and be strong in their convictions.

Dems should start representing THEIR base.

If that statement offends you I’m sorry. You must associate yourself with right wing gun nuts who were the only real people who cared that Beto said he would buy back AR15s. Because that’s who I was talking about.

5. Bandwagoner

I never said offended. I just thought it amazing to have a discussion as you are whilst saying you don't care about anything that I type. Seems misleading at best. I think the first problem with your train of thought is you don't accept there are a ton of democrats who really dislike trump and own guns. The second is you don't accept the AR is a run of the mill rifle these days.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I was addressing right winger trump voters like Commodore and Texx... do you consider yourself a likeminded kin?

I’ll say it again that Democrats shouldn’t bend themselves backwards to worry about what they’ll say on Twitter or facebook if you believe something about gun control that will set off a gun nut insecure Trump voter who was never voting for you anyways.

Are there gun nuts who also vote Dem occasionally .... sure there might be a few, but still... it’s time to stop coddling anyone by pussyfooting around on guns. Those people cannot be allowed to be so incredibly ignorant.... nobody is taking away your guns. Stop being so insecure where you feel like you need an Arsenal to feel safe. Get a security system, and look to technological advances to secure your home. Hunting rifles, shot guns, and hand guns are legal and will continue to be. AR15’s and AK47’s are assault riffles that can be modified easily to shoot up a school or restaurant and we need you guys to get with the program and help shape regulation that makes sense. If that makes someone get all sensitive about that, I’m really sorry but it’s time to grow up.

Gun nuts cannot be continued to be coddled. Stop being so insecure and help support a real solution to help the problem. Dems and the media suck at allowing the conversation to delve into coddling people who are just straight up ignorant about what gun regulation really means. We have to be able to tell those folks (not the Trumpers but the select few gun nuts who might vote Dem) the hard truth and not coddle their insecurities.

Also I grew up and live in Texas. I had a family farm growing up south of La Grange and have had guns most my life up until recently when I had a kid. I enjoy shooting for fun and hunting. I know plenty of true gun nuts as well. Never have I ever seen an AR15 used to hunt or been seriously placed in the home where it could be used to ward off an intruder. AR’s are for target shooting for gun nuts. I get that it’s a fun gun to shoot and it’s fun to mod them. However your fun isn’t worth it to me. We need to be able to tell our friends and fam who love their AR’s to find a new hobby like spending time with your kids, golf, or something.

My entire point is that it’s time to tell hard truths to gun nuts and it’s time to ignore Trumper trolls whose opinion on Dem policy positions simply does not matter. Disagreeing with Dems is sort of the point of their existence.

#646 dobro1229, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    mdrowe00 likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is ahead of his time, Gun control will be gaining in traction over the next decade, the country is headed his direction.

DD

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Beto should not challenge Cornyn, at least not yet. I think he's politically wounded, and his resume was never all that robust. He should lay low and build the resume. He can take an assignment from whomever is the new Dem president; he could be an executive in a large non-profit. He should pick something with a little prominence but that will give everyone a break from his white knighting. Then maybe he can come back and run for a less ambitious post in 5-10 years rebranded as a humbler, older, wiser, more experienced Beto.

RayRay10 and joshuaao like this.
  12. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Totally agreed...

But Beto started his entire campaign off wrong.... If he would have went straight into his stances or issues and policies that would have helped a lot. he started off by dancing around questions and doing more preaching instead of stating who he was.. What he was about and these are my policies..

People want to hear substances and getting to the point of where you stand on things... Too much Jibber Jabber and attacking....

T_Man

mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

14. Bandwagoner

Not unless video games and first person shooters along with action movies go out of style.

On one hand the news media and talk shows are completely against guns, on the other hand, movies and games are hugely pro guns. Probably a far bigger influence.

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Goodnight sweet Prince Beto.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Oh, I guess I never saw the stats showing that the United States did not lead most of the world in gun deaths before first person shooter games.
    Can you cite those stats for me?

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Beto could try to rehabilitate himself as a politician by endorsing Sanders. This would give the appearance of being serious about policy rather than desperately trying issue after issue hoping one might help him. It would also appeal to Texas Latinos and Latinos among which Sanders is running very strongly.

18. Buck Turgidson

What polling data are you looking at? Haven't noticed this.

19. Bandwagoner

Hi Glynch. My post was about media influence on the public opinion on gun control. Not the idiotic idea video games increase gun violence.

As my post reinforces, the gun lobby attacking video games is doubly stupid because that is the only gun friendly media there is.