1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe vs Pro

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Ego better than tmac? Hell no

2. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

What are you babbling about graham?

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Morey built the ONLY team that ever had a competitive series against the durant warriors. If he’s “bad”, then by that logic so is every other gm in the nba

D-rock and clutchdabear like this.
  4. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

lack of success? so consistently making the playoffs year after year as a legit contender, top 3 team isn’t enough for u?
    u do realize the entire nba changed bc of moreyball? teams are valuing the 3pt shot bc morey’s analytics and the rockets success has proven so. the warriors, your beloved warriors even copied the rockets 3pt philosophy... before when they had mark jackson, even with steph and klay they were a middling 3pt shooting team and were always getting destroyed by the rockets. remember the warriors and their pettiness of not wanting to allow the rockets beat the 3 pt record on them? im sure u dont.

the fact that morey has fielded a contending team all these years without being able to go over the luxury tax is a massive achievement in itself. warriors and cavs were all way over the tax.. and even then, without the referee bias or injury luck, they wouldn’t have made it to the nba finals to begin with. u should be blaming tilman more than anything.

and cp3 injury prone as a reason not to trade for him?? so then gsw mustve been idiotic to max steph.. who is more injury prone than cp even. what about lakers mortgaging their next 10 years for an injury prone AD?

the hell is wrong with u

D-rock likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Further, @ballgame's logic dictates Myers lucked into Cupcake, which any Joe could have done.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. ballgame

ballgame Member

THANK YOU...YOU JUST MADE MY WHOLE POINT!! Morey invents the whole 3pt philosophy and then he lets someone else (GOLDEN STATE) take all the credit by putting together a better roster than he did! Morey has had plenty of time to deliver a Championship but he doesn't know how to put together a roster. He's extremely smart, I give him that! But I think he's so smart, until he's dumb to certain things and one of those is how to build a NBA roster!

Also, it's not hard to field a contending team when you have a top 5 NBA Player on your roster, it's hard to field a NBA Champion, which he's never done.

By the way, I've watched every Rocket game since 1980....The Warriors would not let Chandler Parsons take the final 3-point shot to break the 3-point record!

7. xaos

xaos Member

Not sure how this thread has so many posts. OP is so clueless

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Agreed! Say no to Tracy McGrady! That dude was a failure in every sense of the word. Best thing that came from him was Kevin Martin. KMart's 58 TS% was way better than having a ball hogging chucker like TMac.

9. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Morey is operating under a system that demands he sells what limited assets he has for Luxury Tax Savings.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Most of DM the GM’s (apparent) marching orders come from Le Famille du Ferteat.

11. MystikArkitect

GSW built the greatest sports team we've ever seen. So simple.

Why dont other teams do this? They must not be trying.

CDrex and D-rock like this.
  12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Honestly, an average joe could probably do a decent job with the right staff around him/her.

You, on the other hand, are about as close to being an average joe as an average joe is to being Daryl Morey.

You wouldn’t recognize a good trade if it slapped you in the face, since you apparently haven’t recognized any good signings in the past few years.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Morey has one thing we don't …. an owner who wont spend much beyond the luxury tax line. Its like an anchor around his neck.

If you look back on Morey's work historically , he would turn a nickel into a dime into a quarter …. Right now , he's throwing all those nickels and dimes he turns into quality assets away to avoid the tax.

Just look at what they did last year -

Ryno and Melton out the door for Chriss and Knight.
    Chriss , Knight , 1st rounder 2nd rounder for Shumperts expiring contract.
    Dumped Ennis to duck the tax.

They'd have been better off just keeping Ryno on the end of the bench and kept all those assets , paying the tax then trading Ryno at this years trade deadline when he was a huge expiring and had all those other assets too … 1st , 2nd , Melton.

They let Shumpert's bird rights and a manufactured expiring contract go to waste.
    Their TPE's are rotting away on the vine.

None of these are Morey type moves …. He's heavily limited by the tax line despite Tilman saying otherwise. Its obviously just lip service on Tilman's part.

Us fans , we can dream up trades and pass that threshold without a care in the world …. We aren't limited by such insignificant things.

D-rock, clutchdabear and HP3 like this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

The Orlando T Mac is not the same T Mac that left us after quitting time and time again. The NYK T Mac was even worse. Which T Mac is being compared to modern day E Go? In the comparison is E Go having fun because that makes a huge difference.

We as Joes think the other teams would do the trades we proposed. If this is the case think of all the stars DM chased over the years. If played fare DM gets all the stars because he dreamed up some **** just like we do.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Morey is doing the best he can with the financial limitations placed upon him by the league / CBA and … Tilman's reluctance to go into the tax. That last one is the real kicker.

He has two MVP's on the roster and a very solid starting 5 with Capela , Tucker and House - and a decent 6th man if he ever wakes up out of this slump.

The problem is everything else on the roster is veterans minimum salary.

Nine (9) Veteran minimum contracts on this roster along with the Two 2ways.

D-rock and clutchdabear like this.
  16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

If you are using how much someone gets paid and how many years of experience as the basis of your argument you must not know how the real world works. You can just observe stupid things all around you from overpaid decision makers. Keeping it sports, the Texans hired Bill Craterchin as a head coach and he can't even spot that his offensive play calling is extremely redundant but yet he kept at it. Same with the offensive line.

Being highly paid and highly experienced doesn't mean you are even concomitant at your job. Having said that I don't have a problem with Morey at all, I think he is a decent GM.

roslolian likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Obviously he didn't mean in his prime (see PJ Tucker is better than Luis Scola).

Scola didn't even play in the NBA in his prime, he was banished in Euroleague by the Spurs.

As for the OP the reason Morey is getting paid millions is because he is a nerd from MIT. Even if he didn't become a GM he would have been a millionaire regardless on some other high paying job. That's what happens when you graduate as a nerd from one of the most prestigious universities in the country.

18. ballgame

ballgame Member

I agree EDUCATION is valuable!! But what I'm saying is, anyone can put together a roster better than what Morey has put together this yr and in previous yrs for that matter! I don't think he has done as good a job as everyone is making it out to be.

If I were the GM, I WOULD HAVE NEVER GONE INTO THE SEASON RELYING ON A 35YR OLD 6'5" PF!! And then to combat it, he signs 34/35 yr old Ryan Anderson who didn't have success here the first time around.

Guys, all I'm saying is it does not take a genesis to build a competent NBA roster!!!

IN MOREY WE TRUST.... PLEASE!

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Before you response to this thread . . .. . I need to know who was hear the PRE HARDEN years?
    The PRE MOREY YEars?

Then we can start to have this conversation.
    BE AWARE - We had not been to the second round on over a decade (Until Yao - Artest year - Artest was a great pickup)
    We had not been to the WFC longer than that
    We were literally a hamstring away from the finals

He has made some powerful mistakes
    just ffor the record. . .what teams A. have better records that the Rockets in the Harden/Morey era B. Have championships (esp from the West)

The current Rockets look ugly
    But
    1. I know i did not but . .. who predicted Capela would turn into Crapella?
    We thought we got a steal and morey drove a hard bargain
    2. Who though EGo would just be EGO? He may come back but he has been consistent
    3. Morey cannot pay DAN and TONY without the owner's permission . . . I think DanAndTony has checked out somewhat and that is on Tillman - get a f*ck deal don't or get that man the hell out of here
    4. Morey cannot play the players. . . DanAndTony and McHale and JCG have all had several problems. . .1 is player development and 2 stubborn as hell . . .. Capela or Chandle should be getting at least 90% of the minutes at the 5 . . but no .. . we want PJ Tucker to do every d*cking thing

Rocket River

20. ballgame

ballgame Member

Morey worked under Danny Ainge, before he came to Houston, so it doesn't take a (no pond intended) Rocket Scientist to figure out the route to obtain a Superstar athlete. Continue to draft players, let them play and build their value, make smaller trades to add draft picks and when a Star Player comes available you make the trade....SIMPLE!

And at the time, the Rockets were the team with the most assets in the NBA. Same when Boston traded for KG and Ray Allen. Once again, you are not understanding what I'm saying. I am not saying Morey didn't do a good job of obtaining the Superstar player....HE DID!

I'm saying, he DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO BUILD A CHAMPIONSHIP ROSTER. HE DOESN'T DO A GOOD JOB OF GOING TO THE NEXT PHASE! He has the players, now who do you put around them.