1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the defense fixable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Oct 31, 2019.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Harden has been a plus defender for the last 4 years according to all available metrics and 5 of the last 6 years.

2016 was the last year you could credibly say he was below average.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

or howbout mda, his staff,and the rest of the players step up so we don't have to run PJ to the ground and have him injured or run out of gas for the playoffs

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This team more than any other reminds me of the old Nash Suns. They would basically gift layups and then sprint down and shoot a three.

Yao and Stacy and JVG would cry at the tempo and it feels like we were always blown out. :D

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We did not, not even close actually, we scored 105.3 per 100 during that time. I was so intrigued by what @Nivos posted I looked up the offensive, defensive, and net ratings for all our guys so far and the results are pretty shocking. I know these are REALLY small sample sizes, but it's all we've got so far. It's still interesting.

Highlights:
    -With Tucker we are +10 on court and -30 with him off court. Yikes.
    -Ryan Anderson has a 163 drtg
    -I can't believe how bad our bench players have been
    -House is very important for us, according to these numbers, which is what I expected from the eye test, but I know a lot of posters don't agree
    -Eric Gordon is worse than I thought, almost a reverse PJ
    -I didn't realize Clint hurt our offense so much

Code:
    James Harden
        ORTG    DRTG    NETRTG
    ON      119.7    116.9    +2.8 
    OFF     106.4    114.0    -7.7

Russell Westbrook
        ORTG    DRTG    NETRTG
    ON    116.4    111.4    +5.0 
    OFF     113.3    118.4    -5.1

Clint Capela
        ORTG    DRTG    NETRTG
    ON    110.7    107.2    +3.5   
    OFF     123.9    125.3    -1.4

PJ Tucker
        ORTG    DRTG    NETRTG
    ON      119.8    109.5    +10.3
    OFF     105.3    135.4    -30.1

Danuel House
        ORTG    DRTG    NETRTG
    ON      115.8    107.2    +8.6
    OFF     117.4    129.9    -12.5

Eric Gordon
        ORTG    DRTG    NETRTG
    ON      114.8    123.3    -8.4
    OFF     123.0    98.6    +24.4

Austin Rivers
        ORTG    DRTG    NETRTG
    ON      121.8    134.3    -12.4
    OFF     114.1    107.4    +6.7

Ben McLemore
        ORTG    DRTG    NETRTG
    ON      131.3    115.9    +15.4
    OFF     114.6    116.5    -1.9

Thabo Sefalosha
        ORTG    DRTG    NETRTG
    ON      100    122.5    -22.5
    OFF     120.8    114.2    +6.5

Tyson Chandler
        ORTG    DRTG    NETRTG
    ON      112.5    139.3    -26.8
    OFF     117.2    113.1    +4.1

Ryan Anderson
        ORTG    DRTG    NETRTG
    ON      127.3    163.6    -36.4
    OFF     117.5    116.0    +1.4

#104 harold bingo, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Well that really sheds light on PJ's value through the first few games. House and McLemore may need to see a little more time on the floor. Good post.

FrontRunner likes this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Ego's not having fun again

smp, FrontRunner and BaselineFade like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you for posting. Clint isn't the problem defensively, It's our dreadful bench defense.

We need to go get Luc Mbah a Moute If Thabo can't fill that void, or give Gary Clark a shot.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

I don’t think the team really see it as a problem, just with more time it will improve but we’re definitely not about defense first and that cannot be fixed. There’s too many offense minded guys on this team to make it a team mentality. That 17-18 team had at least 4 of which 3 starters. This team has 2 at best in Tucker and House.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

I have doubts about his one-on-one defense in space and his rotation D, but yes, he has improved.

10. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

Yeah they should hire the guy that fixed it twice before by the name of Bzdelik... oh wait they begged him to come out of retirement and then fired him. He probably isn’t going to come back again after that disrespect.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

If there is one big concern on this team, it’s PJ breaking down. We are absolutely toast if that happens.

I think a defensive forward addition should be a sooner rather than later thing.

GotGame15 likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

It is early and adjustments will be made.

Offensively Capela was a liability in many cases but that is going to only get worse with Westbrook on the team as he is not going to shoot from the perimeter as well as Chris Paul did. Capela has to be anchoring the defense to be worth it, and he honestly is not. Adding someone to play the 5 that is long and can shoot open 3's would take this offense to an even higher level and very well may be an improvement defensively.

Some of the guys on the bench like Gordon and Rivers I believe will improve and be quite helpful. Even Thabo I believe will be useful as everyone gets familiar with the defense and another rotation piece is brought in.

FrontRunner and hakeem94 like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Based on what data set? The ol' eye test?

14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Holic was right all along!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I re-watched the game (condensed) and surprise surprise, we have major issues and it's not just one.

The worst offenders...

1) nobody can stay in front of anyone on the perimeter either because individually on the ball we suck and/or we are intentionally funneling
    2) we have no rim protection at all which is ridiculous when you think we might be funneling
    3) no rim protection is terrible but at least we have weakside right... yea no, our weakside rotations are also trash. way too late or worse they never happen
    4) our effort and communication on transition is terrible, constantly sending 2 or more to the ball and losing runners and screwing up matchups

I'm curious to watch tonight and see if we focus on any of these especially the weakside rotations and transition.

hakeem94 and BaselineFade like this.
  16. ipaman

re-watch the game and you will see that the opposing teams are sending their "5" to the corner pulling CC way out. each time they are able to do that they drive opposite side putting him behind the play. like you said, CC is not able to punish the other team offensively for doing that. dare i say that in today's game CC is becoming outdated.

FrontRunner and Nook like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The issue is the core group got burned twice in the post season. With Harden leading the way, they are all trying to play energy conserving and thus the defense suffers. They will bring it when games matter more and in the post season if it's not too late.

19. Nook

Nook Member

The addition of Westbrook plays a big part of it truthfully.

Clint is a square peg being shoved in a round hole. He would be productive on a team that isn't built like the Rockets. The Celtics for example would do well but the trade would have to be a three team deal. Also there is the chance that the Rockets want to hold onto Capela and see what shakes free closer to the deadline.

20. ipaman

on my re-watch, i didn't see it as an "effort" thing. looked like a MENTAL thing to me and that gives me hope as the chemistry grows with these new players. just look at MDT's rotations and you can tell he's trying to figure personal groupings as well. again, that should improve chemistry and D will improve. has too right.. i mean it can't get worse can it!?!?

Nook likes this.