1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parking your stupid big ass truck and backing it in everytime wtf?!?!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by IBTL, Oct 29, 2019.

1. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Google some pictures to show us what you mean.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I don't get the logic that you don't want to wait for someone to back in. You either have to wait for people to back in or you wait for people to back out. It's a zero sum game. Does it take longer to back in than it does to back out?

I (almost) always back in my SUV. Theory; I know the conditions around me while I'm parking and I'm not in a hurry now but I won't know the conditions when I leave. So as the cliché goes, a bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush. There are a million reasons why I might want to quickly leave (wife calls with bad news, beat some weather, a flash mob in the lot, Rosie O'Donnell starts singing, who freaking knows). So I'll take the extra 10 seconds to park now cause that'll save me 10 seconds when I want to leave. Takes me 2-10 seconds either way.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

From my observations it takes much longer to back in than back out.

I don't care, you do you. I can go around if I need to. I do get amused though by people who have to keep adjusting in the parking spot.

It's also true though that a lot of people are scared to death of backing out, lack depth perception and/or don't know how long their car is and take forever to back out because they think they will hit the car that is five feet way from them. THAT annoys me.

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I rarely back my big ass truck into a space, but it usually isn’t necessary. I park as far away as I can from all the low life’s this city has to offer. I don’t mind a little walk. If I DO have to park amongst the unwashed masses, backing in would only be considered based on surroundings. IE.....the only available space has some moron parked on or right at the line.....necessitating that I will NOT be able to park dead center in said space. Then my concern is that the greater of the less desirables would leave while I’m outside of my protective bubble and some other moron will park too close to me on the other side. In such a case, pulling straight out is desirable.

5. Buck Turgidson

I like my stupid big ass truck.

Never felt the need to back in to park. I pull through and take up both spots, 'cause b!tch is long.

Nook, cmoak1982 and IBTL like this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member

Also if you back it in and and the parking lane is one way now you are going down the parking lane the wrong way you safe jackass

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Well played

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

My main annoyance is when small sedans take up two spots.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

This method is actually easier for vehicles with a longer wheelbase, especially when the spaces are tight or the lanes don't give you much room. Your steering axle (front) gives you more control this way.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Maybe "UCB" driving lessons? o_O

DonkeyMagic and Killatron 2000 like this.
  11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I'll go out on a limb and call this B.S. I'm pretty sure you haven't taken any measurements. It takes ~5 seconds to back in or out. Heard of confirmation bias? Seems like you are just ranting.

btw, do a search for what is safer. I literally cannot find a single article that says parking forward is better. 100% of the articles I found say unequivocally that backing in is safer. Actually several articles say pulling in forward and driving into the next spot is the best option. Then backing in is next best. Pulling forward into a spot is unanimously the worst option despite that 70% Americans always pull in.

It's the lazy instant gratification people that like to pull in. You put off the hard task of backing up until later rather than take the hit up front.

12. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

So you’re pissed at people who can’t park or people who drive big trucks, because the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't mean to derail, but...

The other day I was driving behind a big ass truck on west alabama and the driver slammed on the brakes to traverse every crack in the pavement like they were driving a lowrider on the surface of the moon.

I was slightly annoyed. Pretty sure the convoy of commuters lined up behind me wasnt thrilled, either.

14. Buck Turgidson

Pull into the Bama Ice House and wait them out. Might have to park a block away, dunno.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  15. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

The point that it’s easier to back into a spot with a long vehicle has been made several times in this thread and is absolutely true.

Parking lot behavior that is much more annoying:
    • Being too lazy to return your cart to the stall.
    • Waiting to take someone’s front spot while they load their car even though there are several other spots open.
    • Leaving your trash in the parking spot or shopping cart.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I get annoyed because I feel like the people who park all the way in the back and walk are doing a service for their fellow shoppers but yet no store puts a cart stall in the back for us good samaritans to return our carts to. I still make the walk to return my cart but would it hurt to throw us a bone?

17. likestohypeguy

What about when you're not even at a crosswalk, but still yield to pedestrians who instead of walking directly across, take the longest slowest diagonal path to where they're going? Ore those who don't follow pkg lot lanes, and just race across rows to get to their spot or exit, everyone else be danged? Yeah plenty to rage about before someone's vehicle of any size taking to long to park. Btw for every time you suffer one backing in, you will statistically benefit from not having to wait for one to back out, when he quickly pulls out the front.

And I don't ride but wonder if motorcycles similarly get mad at waiting for cars to maneuver, as cars do for big trucks? Anything smaller just needs to wait for me, anything bigger is stupid and I don't have time for it- only MY vehicle is the right size.

Some parking rage revenge for OP

#57 likestohypeguy, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I like it when there’s a cart in the parking lot. I grab it and go in.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

That’s what valet is for. And curbside pickup.

Nook likes this.
  20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You either must back-in or back-out. It takes more skills backing in so if that's your thing, practice the craft (away from others) if you're struggling. If you need to load/unload your vehicle from the rear, pulling in is better obviously. I first started backing in when one car was too *low* to the ground. The front bumper would hit the concrete. Didn't matter anyway, I always had swang skills.

Consider this. How about not always salavating to park closest possible to the store's entrance in the first place? People end up wasting more time trying to park close than if they just parked a little farther away and walked.

cmoak1982 likes this.