1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not bringing Cole in the 7th Inning...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by astros123, Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

We were winning at that point dude. We got to game 7 of World Series leaving runners stranded everywhere, we’re that good lol. The only known was that Greinke had their hitters baffled all night and was pulled for a journeyman reliever 9nstead of the best pitcher in the world who wanted to get in there.

everyday eddie and clutchdabear like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

why do people constantly ask for insurance runs? maybe bc 1-2 runs isn't likely going to cut it. the stros squandered numerous opportunities last night with risp. it caught up to them finally. there's no next game to make up for it or the offense is due.

yeah he was pulled for a reliever thats been absolute nails to that point. like i said people will try to use the hindsight role. it goes both ways

3. astros123

astros123 Member

I dont understand why people cant understand this aspect. The Nationals also left 50 runners on base this series. Its the World Series and pitching will always dominate offense. We lost the game in the 7th inning. Plain and simple.

Cole was pacing himself in the bullpen like a sick fk during innings. He had so much adrenaline I bet he would've been nasty.

everyday eddie, jklb and jcee15 like this.
  4. jcee15

I’m ok with players losing the game. I’m not cool with a manger losing it.

5. jcee15

There’s nothing to say cole would’ve given them any runs. 1-0 victories happen all the time.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

nothing? not even after his game 1? or that he's never pitched on short rest or in relief before? And this isn't even a short 3 days rest. It was 2. I'd say those are very significant factors to take into consideration. while you have relievers who have been huge in this playoff run. you're damned if you do damned if you don't

7. jcee15

Maybe he pitches better in relief, who knows. We sure as hell don’t.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

well yeah obviously we'll never know. still those are very significant factors to take into consideration. while you have relievers who have been huge in this playoff run. you're damned if you do damned if you don't

9. astros123

astros123 Member

Like Grienke doesnt need to be treated like a rookie who hasnt seen the postseason. Dude is a future hall of famer, former cy young, era champ, and former rookie of the year. Hes earned the right to pitch that 7th after his dominating stuff. Also, btw Grienke pitched 90 pitches earlier in the series Hinch so yes hes been asked to do this before.

Funny that Hinch leaves Verlander in the game time after time even after he throws meatballs. With the same approach, Verlander should've been pulled after the Eaton home run in game 6.

#109 astros123, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  10. jcee15

You go with your best players always. Live or die with that.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

and that's what he did. his best relievers

12. right1

right1 Member

I just didn't see any reason for pulling Greinke. He threw a changeup to Rendon. The same pitch I believe he hit off of Verlander. 1 bad pitch choice to their best hitter with nobody on base. Otherwise, he was dominant, playing pitch and catch, keeping them off balance on a low pitch count, allowing only 2 hits through 6 1/3. He is paid $33 million a year to do what he was doing. He was careful with Soto with no one on base and actually got screwed on a strike call by the ump. In no way did he look as if he wasn't in control. One mistake changeup to Rendon. Followed by a great sequence to Soto. Hell, he probably would have induced Kendrick into a 1-6-3 double-play. We had the highest paid pitcher in baseball, Cy Young winner, 5 time Gold-Glover on the mound dominating game 7 of the world series. And he is replaced with Will Harris who Rendon crushed one off of the night before, who was already overused in the series. What followed was even worse. I didn't agree with the Chirinos bunt attempt in the 2nd either. Maybe he hits into a dp, but Scherzer was on the ropes. I don't think you give him a free out there. A disappointing end to the season, but it sure as hell beats being a Dodgers, Yankees, Orioles, Tigers, etc., etc. fan. Congrats to DC and the Nationals. I wouldn't mind if Soto got beaned a few times next season, though. I have come to hate that stupid shuffle.

13. jcee15

That’s dumb

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  14. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Damn coaching mistake and I said it long before the HR. Hinch has earned the benefit of the doubt, but inexcusable managing blunder in my opinion

gatsby and clutchdabear like this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don’t kinda any of hinch’s Moves .

Harris has been great all year , he just got beat .

My biggest argument was not walking Soto
    Osuna was already at 30 pitches and was tiring . Walk Soto and get in a new pitcher would have been my call

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

to use your best relievers that have done their job getting the stros to this point? well that's pretty odd

17. jcee15

I agree. You can’t explain your way out of that.

18. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

On Earth 2, AJ puts Cole in on short rest, he blows the game, and the same people are in here b****ing that we shouldn't have made Cole do what he's never done before.

Harris threw a perfectly good pitch, low and outside. Kendrick reached for it and managed to hit the foul pole. Two feet to the right, and everybody's slapping AJ on the back today.

A bunch of our guys made solid contact with runners on base. In previous games, those balls fell far enough from the outfielders. Last night, they didn't.

That's baseball. You can lose 4 games out of 7, even when you're the better team.

19. jcee15

You use your best players dude. Relievers relieve because they aren’t good enough to get multiple styles out multiple times. They saw Harris too many times and Kendrick was on that 2 seam.

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure what this has to do with the topic. they relieved. they didn't start the game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.