1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets at serious height disadvantage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Oct 30, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Given our lack of size and MDA’s use of any that we do have, think about going against these guys:

Clippers - Zubac, Montrezl, Patterson, Harkless, PG, Green

Lakers - AD, Dwight, Javale, Kuzman, Lebron

Mavericks - Porzingis, Kleber, Boban

Nuggets - Jokic, Hernangomez, Grant

Jazz - Gobert, Davis, Green, Ingles, Bogdanovic

Blazers - Nurkic, Whiteside, Gasol

Spurs - Poetl, Aldridge, Samancic, Lyles

That’s guys 6’8 and over that we have to guard with Tucker (6’6), House (6’7), Capela and 2 old guys in Thabo and Tyson who might not even play and or cannot offer much resistance.

As much as I love Tucker and House, we need size desperately. A proper PF / C and not a wing on my opinion. I know lots of people will think I’m overreacting and we have the advantage in the backcourt, but tell me who are going to guard those guys? We trouble with OKC and the Pelicans and they are not close to having the talent and size of most teams above.

2. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

As long as we run our offense and execute we dont have to worry about any of that-Mike D'Antoni

BasketMAD, smp, TheRealist137 and 9 others like this.
  3. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Yes size especially at the wing position would be helpful, so that guys like Brandon Ingram have a tougher time dropping over 30 on us.

That said the defensive scheme of switching is just as much to blame and basically list us the Milwaukee game. MDA stubborn attitude on defense and lazy approach to adjustments are IMO the Rockets biggest concerns for this season.

BasketMAD, Highlyrated and ak99999 like this.
  4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

we are going to do the same thing we've always done, go small, give up the mismatch inside the 3 point line, switch everything, beat them down the court and hit a 3. this is our game. We are selling out to guard their 3, giving up 2, hoping to outscore them....

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.....

Highlyrated, houston19519 and tinman like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

the advantage from the 3s gets mitigated more each year. Everyone shoots 3s now and most shoot better

apollo33, BasketMAD, JW86 and 3 others like this.
  6. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

it is what it is, until a major trade happens, this is the only way we can play....

we live and die by the three...

BaselineFade and tinman like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

our real disadvantage is our headcoach's abilities

PeterKingX, amaru, malakas and 7 others like this.
  8. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

We have the height, but MDA doesn’t utilize it

PeterKingX, smp, deb4rockets and 2 others like this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Even if Morey wanted to make a move and bring in a legit big man he won't be able to do it until December for obvious reasons. Looking at the teams after an extremely small sample size of games played who are looking like ass:

Knicks: Portis? Gibson? The latter would have been a great fit years ago; just not sure what he can provide in 2019/2020 on the defensive end. I've always loved Portis but he might be out of our price range.

Bulls: Thad Young? He's probably the only frontcourt player worth mentioning though he's 6'8" and probably have seen better days. Of course the OPM could be revived and we double down on small ball.....

Hornets: Zeller? He's looked awfully good this season without Kemba. 44% from 3, 16ppg, 13 rpg. Probably a mirage but could probably also be available.

Grizzlies: Valanciunas? His Per 36 stats are ridiculous this year but .....I don't know...I'm just bias and not a fan of the guy

Kings: Dedmon? Holmes? The former has been atrocious this year (same for his team). The latter is compelling enough...6'10", pretty athletic...I'm not too sure he's the defensive big we need though

Pelicans: I don't think they'll be sellers as their schedule has been brutally hard and it should get easier soon. However, Okafor has been looking fairly good to start off the season, especially on the defensive side. he's actually average now compared to ungodly bad during his Sixer days.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

All fair points lol

Highlyrated and Jontro like this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Technically he's right over an 82 game season. In a short series or a single game not so much. 0 for 27 is historical proof of that fact.

Highlyrated likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have been saying that since this roster was completed....

We are TOO DAMNED SHORT......it is why I wanted Bennett on the team - a legit size guy that can hit the 3, or DMo, someone that is above 6'8" and is not wearing concrete sneakers (I see you Ryan).

DD

Highlyrated and Air Yordan like this.
  13. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

You had me at Dmo

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Anthony Bennett is 6'7.

topfive and DreamShook like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You forgot the Suns have Ayton, Dario, Frank and Banes.

I just want to see how the Rockets play against these teams. Before the three was the Rockets's advantage, maybe now the Rockets speed with Russ and Clint at center is the advantage.

These teams can shoot and are big but the transition points could be the Rocket equalizer.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

in other news, water is wet.

RealRocFan47, Highlyrated and tinman like this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We drafted some bigs but they suck

18. rockets13champs

It’s a new era tho. Idk if Morey understood. Idk if this is a live and die by 3 era

19. 1Deep

1Deep Member

If Capela didn't play so soft this wouldn't be so much of a concern.

smp likes this.
  20. realonemo

realonemo Member

They could definitely use someone to bang with other frontcourt guys. Or even a skilled 4. Really wouldn't mind Thad Young tbh.