1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Kamala Harris for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 21, 2019.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What do you think practically can come out of both the House and the Senate with 60 votes?

If Bernie won the presidency would you want him to accept that type of deal or stick to his guns on M4A even if it meant potentially not moving the needle on incremental coverage expansion, and fortifying protection from the ACA?

I get that you might just feel like you want someone that feels passionately in what they believe in and doesn’t run with the notion of fluid movement in policy positions, but I just want to know what realistic expectations are for a Bernie presidency when the rubber hits the road.

And honestly, it’s one of the main concerns I’ve had with Bernie (opp here for you to sell me). I just have concerns that anything practical could actually get done in his first 100 days which is when you can actually get one or two big pieces of legislation done.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There’s much more to learn about this plan if it was scored by the CBO and others but the theory here is you’d probably end up saving money in the end. I currently pay well over 1000 a month for my crappy employer coverage for me and my family. So if our family tax total went up by 2%, that’s only 250 a month at 150k total take home which is like earning another income if in the end I’m just swapping who I pay each month but getting the same thing for less.

Plus Medicare advantage is essentially a private health care plan compared to what you’d get with United it Aetna so even if you are in that pool it’s not going to be Medicaid or like VA coverage. My grandparents and my in-laws have it and love it, even though they both are Trumpers that talk crap about Obamacare any chance they get. I’m like ... uh.. you basically just said you love it but I’m not telling you that you have it or your head will explode.

So I’m not opposed to raising my taxes if in the end I’m still getting basically the same coverage which saves me a ton.

But the devil is in the details like always. I need to know Debits and Credits like with any transactional trade off. FYI not a huge difference in what Biden is proposing. Just a bit more streamlined through a centralized Medicare market.

The Real Shady likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Too good not to share

[​IMG]

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

It's not just about putting people in jail for mar1juana violations when she was guilty of doing that herself (while laughingly bragging about inhaling).

It's that trend we see time and time again with her, it's that double standard she has . It's that 'Oh Im better than you, I'm an elite candidate and you're just a lowly 1% poller' type of mindset. She is the epitome of that 'do as I say but not what I do' personality.

To give another example: Harris talks about reparations and how awful slavery was all while she kept people in prison just to use them as cheap labor...

Like.. keeping people imprisoned for the sole purpose of using them for cheap labor is slavery
    She is no better than her ancestors who owned a whole slew of slaves.

Verdict to the prosecutor: Harris is a disgusting C YOU N T of a human

#484 Realjad, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  5. biff17

biff17 Member

I have no idea why Harris gets this much attention and vitriol.

She is a 2nd rate candidate who has peaked.

Not worth it.

6. biff17

biff17 Member

This is almost as bad as a Mojo meme.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

B-Bob likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

One can only hope to achieve the lofty standards set by Ben Garrison

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

::threw up in my mouth:: next....

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

13. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah that's gotta be it

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I like her as a senator and she clearly has a bright future in the party. Might even end up as someone’s (say, Biden) running mate.

....but her campaign is completely toast and she will not recover from this polling free-fall.

FrontRunner and B-Bob like this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is ridiculous. She blew her campaign and now she wants to scream racism and sexism on the way down. Shame on her.

Just accept that you blew and it and move on. She should end her campaign now and begin to rebuild her standing instead of throwing barbs that will sting and be attached to her forever.

Hakeemtheking, jcf, glynch and 6 others like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We have learned a lot about Kamala Harris this year, and I say that as someone who has voted for her in state and local elections.

jcf and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The most damning thing we've learned is that she tells awkward jokes every time she's in front of a camera and proceeds to laugh at them while everyone waits for her to finish.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I had high initial hopes for her and she has supremely disappointed.

FranchiseBlade, B-Bob and FrontRunner like this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

trouble in Kamala-land

https://www.wsj.com/articles/kamala...owa-in-shake-up-11572466111?mod=hp_listb_pos3

Kamala Harris Laying Off Staff, Moving Others to Iowa in Shake-Up
    California senator’s campaign spent more than it raised in the last quarter
    By
    Tarini Parti
    Updated Oct. 30, 2019 4:17 pm ET

California Sen. Kamala Harris is restructuring her presidential campaign to cut costs, including laying off some staffers in her headquarters in Baltimore and deploying others to Iowa from offices in New Hampshire, Nevada and California.

In a memo, which was released by the campaign, Ms. Harris’s campaign manager Juan Rodriguez said he—and all campaign consultants—would also be taking a pay cut.

“These decisions are difficult but will ensure the campaign is positioned to execute a robust Iowa ground game and a minimum 7-figure paid media campaign in the weeks leading up to caucus,” the memo stated.

Ms. Harris’s campaign ended the third quarter with $10.5 million in the bank for the next stretch of the primary and with $900,000 in debt. She spent more than she raised in that three-month period, shelling out $14.6 million while bringing in $11.8 million.

Ms. Harris’s campaign, which has been struggling to gain traction in a crowded field, pivoted to an Iowa-focused strategy in the fall after plummeting in national polls.

While the campaign will be redeploying staff to Iowa, the first nominating contest, it will maintain its operation in South Carolina, where the campaign spent a significant amount of time and resources early in the primary.

Mr. Rodriguez said in the memo that the California Democrat will continue to spend the bulk of her time in Iowa in November, including spending Thanksgiving there.

He also said that both Republican John McCain’s campaign in 2008 and Democrat John Kerry’s in 2004 made similar decisions before winning their party’s nomination. Both, however, went on to lose in the general election. The memo was first reported by Politico.

Write to Tarini Parti at Tarini.Parti@wsj.com

B-Bob likes this.