1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. Marteen

Marteen Member

2. Buck Turgidson

So? He can't wait to get back to his home. Family considerations matter to some people. We've seen it before with Astros FAs.

LabMouse and HTown2017Champs like this.
  3. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Being close to home is still a huge thing. Like Trout signed his prime years to the mediocre Angels and his only postseason stint is being swept. It just sucks it seems like half the athletes in sports consider Socal their home.

While it would suck to lose Cole (assuming the Astros actually do make a competitive offer), I'd be even more disappointed if they just stand pat and not even get a replacement pitcher at all.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I know the feeling of missing home oh so well from the Navy. That's why I couldn't wait to get out of California. I missed my family. Home is where the heart is. I know nothing about Cole, but imagine he will go where he is happiest. He has the choice.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Really, the people saying the angels won’t win during his contract are probably wrong.

After 2021 they’d have pretty much just Trout, Cole and Oteni under contract, they’ve got a couple of top prospects, and an owner who will spend big. The angels with Fole signed to a 6 or 7 year deal would look really really good.

The Astros don’t have any good pitchers signed pst 2021, most of their OF is up after 2020, etc. I trust this FO, but there is no reason to believe that we will have a significant advantage over Anaheim post 2021 if Cole signs there.

lw17 and Tomstro like this.
  6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If we win the World Series, I’m fine with losing him. I would make a huge offer... and if that doesn’t work, pray he chooses a team like the Giants or Padres instead.

Rashmon, lw17 and Kendrick Lamar like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros didn't have much big-ticket pitching prior to 2017 either.

Things change pretty fast in baseball in just 2-3 years. We all know there's multiple ways to get great starting pitching... and the Astros front office knows how to get it from all aspects.

everyday eddie, King1 and Nook like this.
  8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Par for the course for that poster.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This exactly. I don't want to lose him, but I'm pretty resigned to the fact that if we win the WS (which holy crap, we might be winning another WS!!!!!!!!!!!!) then he's likely on his way elsewhere. I won't be mad at him or the Astros for that.

Next season we'll have Verlander, Greinke, McCullers, Urquidy, with Whitley and others vying for a spot. The Astros have made it pretty clear they'll go get talent to complement their core.

Rashmon, jklb, lw17 and 2 others like this.
  10. the shark

the shark Member

Nick I beg to differ. There's multiple ways to get pitching but "great" pitching...that's another story.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

It's been a pleasure.

lw17 and Kendrick Lamar like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If I'm Luhnow, I'd let him walk.......

Right into my office to see a competitive contract and if he turns that down, wish him the best of luck to wherever he goes, thank him for his contributions and tell him if he signs with a divisional team, well destroy him.

King1, RasaqBoi, awc713 and 2 others like this.
  14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think we can use some of the money to potentially get a catcher who can hit (grandala is a FA I think) and then you start projecting.
    1) projection 1) tucker will take the step towards stardom and replace Reddick with a much better bat
    2) whitley will be the ace the Astros think he can be. What will make his life easier is that he will be asked to be at most the number 4 starter

Better offense and LMJ coming back should offset losing Cole.

lw17 likes this.
  15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Forrest Whitley, welcome to the big leagues. :)

RasaqBoi and lw17 like this.
  16. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

We did find a replacement for Cole. Zack Greinke!!

lw17 likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Hats off to Cole. He performed great as an Astro and will always be remembered as an all-timer here regardless of where he ends up this winter.

It's extremely hard to find elite--much less THE best--pitcher but I'm sure Luhnow is up for the challenge. As long as Luhnow is passionate about competing for WS rings and Crane gives him the necessary resources i'm not worried. We can't expect ALCS or WS every season but if it takes 2-3 years to get this team right again then that's the least we can be is patient right?

lw17 likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Since 2015, the Astros have either developed it (Keuchel, McHugh to some extent), trade deadlined for it (Verlander, Greinke) or off-season traded for it (Cole).

Nobody here thought Cole would be this good when he was traded for (just like plenty were also hesitant to trade for JV.... "Fiers has been great!").

The point is that this front office has both the ability to get pitching if needed... and they know how to unearth improvement/extended value in pitchers once they're either acquired or developed.

I would really love to keep Cole... and I'm sure they'll exhaust all resources to try and get enough money to retain him... but in the end, he's unlikely to put up another once-in-a-decade like season like he just did and unless the team plans on losing money to contend, there will be others that will have to be let go (or not extended/re-signed) to off-set his cost.

Nook, Rashmon and lw17 like this.
  19. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

They are going to bank on Lance, Urquidy and Whitley. The front office will say they made a "competitive offer" but I bet it is nowhere near what he ends up getting.

AznH-TownFan and lw17 like this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

A "good hitting" catcher is down the list on where they should spend their money.