1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Okay, now it is official, Clemens signs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BigSherv, May 31, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

$22 mil is a HUGE gamble.

World Series last year, hope it pays off this year.

2. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Yep, I actually didn't have much problem with Smith's column (the TO shot was a bit much, tho). Basically, he's calling out Rocket for being an attention w**** -- which he is. But, as Major said, he's our attention w****.

I'm more annoyed by article's like SI's Verducci's where he writes the Stros off already or this blogger from the Seattle newspaper who is already floating the idea that we trade the Rocket.

However, my absolute favorite article in the Clemens coverage is this columnist from St. Louis who wonders whether the Cardinals' owner will spend what it takes to win like McLane has. Take that, haters!

Clemens deal raises ante as Cards look to add power

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Watching Clemens' press conference actually made me dislike him a little. He came off as a prima donna of the highest magnitude. I don't begrudge him his legacy, star power, or right to do what he wants. But I just wanted a little better from Roger.

No, it's not that I wanted him to sign earlier or for less money. Indeed, the end result is ideal in my mind. Roger gets paid his market value, which is fair and right. The timing is likewise right. Everyone needs to remember, the goal isn't to make the playoffs. The goal is to win it all. To do that, we need to have Rocket at his best when it counts the most. Granted, it's a calculated risk because his delayed liftoff might cost us a playoff berth. But it's a risk worth taking because, as an organization, we're looking to take the final step.

What I wanted from Roger was more class. 2 years ago, he signed with the stros because he wanted to bring a championship to his city and play with his boy Andy, and still spend time with family. None of these factors changed. The only things that changed were more tread off his tires and the Astros made it to the world series. As such, all along, the decision was between retiring or playing for the Stros.

He absolutely had the right to handle things the way he did, stirring the pot among 4 teams and garnering all the attention he wanted. In doing so, he made damn sure that he would get paid market. I understand that. But I wanted more class out of Roger. He could have easily told Drayton that the only way I come back is for a prorated 22M and the deal would have been done.

I guess I'm not all that surprised about how this progressed and ended. Indeed, it was quite predictable. I just hoped for more out of our local legend.

This minor disappointment with Roger doesn't really dent my appreciation of him as a supreme competitor and pitcher. And I'm still a huge fan. I just wanted better.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. they're not actually paying $22 million..it's pro-rated. they're paying closer to $12 million;

2. it's a one year deal...doesn't affect payroll for next season...thus, it doesn't affect their offseason;

3. they didn't have to give up any talent to bring him in;

4. they need another starter right now;

5. they need to move nieve to the bullpen -- they need help there in middle relief.

to me, this is a no-brainer.

I'm more convinced than ever that Clemens told the Astros he wouldn't accept arbitration so he could pull this off. So he could take off half the season...see his kids finish the school year...avoid spring training...make sure he's fresher for the stretch. I don't think he even remotely considered going elsewhere.

5. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is the fact that Roger puts people in the seats. If he is going to pitch 18 games, we can assume that, most likely, 9 of them will be at home (not to mention the games he would pitch if we make it into the playoffs). Just him pitching will probably bring about 3,000-5,000 more fans into the stadium. With all of the expenses (parking, tickets, concession, memorbelia...yeah I'm sure I spelled that wrong) that is probably going to make a decent difference. Not to mention the difference he could make if he helps turn the team around and we start winning again. Usually winning puts more people in the seats as well, and not just when Roger is pitching.

I'm not saying this alone is going to offset his cost, but I am sure it is one of the many factors they considered when resigning him.

Pugs

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

pugsly

One of the numerous Clemens articles actually mentioned the extra revenue he would bring in over 9 or 10 home starts. Last year his starts drew an average of 2700 or so more than their other games. The article came up with about $785,000 of additional revenue he would bring in at those numbers, so it certainly is not a money maker for McLane.

7. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I have given up on leaving negative feedback for these sort of articles. Journalists hear only what they want to, and most of them write to cause a stir or catch the attention of the casual sports fan. Throwing a few logical points their way isn’t going to change their ‘opinion’. I used to write to all the ESPN, CBS, CNN etc. writers on their bull**** assumptions about Yao Ming. In the end, Yao was the only one who could shut them up by conforming to what they viewed he needed to be… a dominant low post center (reflected in the stats sheet).

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

You know I can think of a number of occasions where I know exactly what I want, yet I still, for good measure, check out all the options available to me. There's nothing wrong with that. Clemen's didn't play anybody; he was upfront the whole time. Based on the way the negotiations were handled, he didn't use the other teams for leverage. If anything the thing that irks me just a little bit is that he wanted "fair market value" for his services. He's said time and again that money isn't a factor anymore, that he and his family are set financially. So why not come back for a discount then, so the team doesn't have to break the bank on you. Is another couple million that important? Guess it just serves to inflate his ego. But hey it's not suprising in the least. I'm just glad he's back.

9. My Lund

My Lund Member

I think the assholes in the NY and Boston media has spun this totally out of control. To me Clemens seemed really tentative wondering if his body was going to hold up. Remember the guy is really close to 45. Baseball media are a bunch of jackasses that only care about the AL east. Therefore Clemens coming to Houston of all places does not fit their pallette very well. Clemens is an attention w**** but I dont have any doubts as to his dedication and work ethic. You know for sure that this guy when he is on the mound will give you every ounce, every bit that he has in him. To compare him to TO is just stupid. All Astros fans lets just hope that his body holds up because if that happens we all know what we will get from this guy.

10. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Glad to see Rocket is back.

I think the whole idea of a 'hometown' discount is silly when you're talking about a sport with no salary cap. As if we need to protect Drayton's deep pockets.

I think there is nothing wrong with Rocket thinking about other teams - there would be sound and understandable reasons to go to either NY or Boston (although the Rangers I'm not so sure about). He has history with both, great respect for NY and a homecoming/reapproach with Boston.

All major althletes have egos. And?

Comparing him to TO is way out of line. He's been a great teammate everywhere he's been. Even his falling out in Boston was a result of then GM Dunce Duquette attacking Rocket, not the other way around.

Stop the hate.

11. Party Boy

Party Boy Member

He's 43 and still plays at such a high level.

The MLB should check him for steroids.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, the popular conspiracy theory is that he was actually on suspension due to steroids, but that MLB didn't want to tarnish his legacy. You know, just like Jordan didn't really retire those two years when we won the championships, he was really suspended for gambling.

I like to call those people who buy into those theories mentally r****ded.

13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Sorry for the necrobump, but: How right this guy was.

Tomstro likes this.
  14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's a good idea to sign a 57 year old

15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Was referring to the steroids...obviously

marks0223 likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

Could be our guy for blowouts

RustyHarden and RKREBORN like this.
  17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Astros should totally draft Koby Clemens. He's got the bloodline. Seems like a no-brainer.

18. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

This has not aged well on a couple levels, yikes.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  19. txtodd

txtodd Member

Soto's a guy I could really see Clemens throwing balls and broken bats at.