1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Series] Watchmen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 18, 2018.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Is this surprising? the education system doesn't educate people about this stuff.

Some people don't know there where black cowboys

There is still medical text in circulation that says black people have a higher pain threshold than other races.

The ignorance around black people in general shouldn't be surprising.

#41 DreamShook, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    JeffB and Big MAK like this.
  2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I saw on I believe CNN there was an article about it (Tulsa Riots). I assume there was significant uptick in that google query after the show. Yup, quite sad.

3. omgTHEpotential

Are there any superheros/supernatural stuff in this show? Or just regular people masked as vigilantes.

#43 omgTHEpotential, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The comic on had 1 superpowered individual. I suspect the show won't have that many

Rocket River

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

In the comics, there was one character who had what you'd call superpowers. Another character claimed to be super-smart, and he was definitely smart, but exactly how much smarter than average is unclear. Other characters used training, weapons, and technology to do their "costumed adventuring" or "masked vigilantism." The word "superhero" was never used.

In this HBO show, it's basically still unclear who, if anyone, has "superpowers," although there have been strong hints that super-powered guy and smart guy from the comics are still out there. If superpowers do appear, they will likely be exceedingly rare—i.e., there probably aren't a bunch of superbeings out there. A bunch of Batman-level vigilantes, maybe.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think it is very close to the movie.....might be wrong there.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

It wasn't what I was expecting. Visually interesting opening. Regina did nothing for me. Think I would have preferred more backstory, but I'm sure it's coming. I don't understand anything for the most part... probably because I'm trying to link it to the movie.

8. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

There was a scene that showed a television report of Doctor Manhattan on Mars. Maybe he comes back to earth.

9. val_modus

val_modus Member

Do people not get that there were zero super-powered people in the comics besides Dr Manhattan??

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Not everyone read the comic. Some folks just want to watch a cool-looking new HBO show.

bobloblaw likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I thought it was too weird. Interesting, but very odd.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I don't think so. Since the show is called "Watchmen", what you'll be getting is a bunch of Easter eggs that reference the comic (like that TV scene of Dr. Manhattan). This show is not so much as in the universe of the Watchmen as it is flavored with Watchmen imagery. After watching the first episode (which left me muttering "WTF???") the preview sequence gave me a disturbing sense that the show will end up with Ozymandias pulling the same BS he did in the comic which is/was a giant copout.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you only saw the movie, the weird squid rain scene makes more sense in continuity with the comics. In the comics replace Ozymandias' plot to frame Dr. Manhattan, with a hoax to make people think a giant space squid was coming. The squid rain is maybe a tangible example that the world is still trying to deal with the events of the comic book/movie.

I'm kind of intrigued by the cops having a version of Nite Owl's Owlship with the flamethrower. Are characters from the comic going to make an appearance, beyond the implied Ozymandias?

One of the reviews I read indicated there were extreme twists and turns to the plotting that you wouldn't predict based on the direction of the first episode, so it might not be very fruitful to try and predict where they are heading.

#53 Ottomaton, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I disagree entirely. Minimal spoilers:

He was shown in a trailer on Earth. I won’t be too specific in case you don’t want to know the details. It would be impossible to do this show without Dr. Manhattan. Damon Lindelof is a huge Watchmen fan. If he’s going to build this show into something that lasts, Manhattan will only make small appearances this season.

How do you go from saying it’s not in the universe of the Watchmen and then cite a character from the original story (Ozymandias)? If the story is repetitive of the plot of the comic isn’t it actually more in that “universe” than if it only had Easter eggs? You can’t say they are just Easter eggs this early in the show. Give it a chance.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Was that too much of a spoiler? They included it in a few trailers.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

I posted about the Astros. Had to delete it. Your good.

18. Buck Turgidson

Remember Lost?

I liked the first episode, curious to see where it goes.

19. Beezy

Beezy Member

It seems like the race riot intro scene is being setup as the origin of one of the Minutemen -
    I'm guessing the strong ass old man in the wheelchair is Hooded Justice.

Rashmon and Ottomaton like this.
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I assumed he was the kid in the back of the truck that got way, but you're right, he's probably both.