1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] How the Bucks beat the Rockets sans Giannis: running the same play over and over again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Oct 25, 2019.

1. malakas

malakas Member

So..instead of being stupid ...the Rockets are just insane?

BasketMAD, Zergling and JayGoogle like this.
  2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I’m assuming they have evidence for this position but idk.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

FIRE DANTONI

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Small ball is some p**** ish and I'm tired of seeing our defense get roasted.

We went small in the 4th and we got killed. Fire Dantoni

BasketMAD likes this.
  5. MONON

MONON Member

especially when that play is working & the other coach doesn't adjust to it. I'm just waiting for some coach to run the same successful play to start a game & then decide to run that play the whole game.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The same thing your eyes tell you.

The average 7 footer wouldn't be able to post up that effectively against PJT.

But Brook Lopez? Yes, he probably can post up effectively, a not-insignificant amount of the time.

MDA apparently thought that the loss we would receive from that specific matchup would be less than the gains we would have from putting 5 shooters on the floor. Last night, that was incorrect. On another night it might work.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

D’Antoni probably should have adjusted in the moment. Jokic does that to us the whole game and we still beat the hell out of Denver. Wether that will work against the Sixers idk. But the Bucks definetly aren’t pulling that for the whole game. They got desperate and it worked out for them. I think the problem is Gordon going cold and the whole shading Harden right thing.

DreamShook and malakas like this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't worry. Tilman will replace him with someone cheaper this off season.

9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I'm convinced D'antoni refuses to call timeouts because he's ran out of things to say or adjust.

He should just retire from basketball period or work as a full-time assistant coach.

It sucks but we should've replaced him in the summer once he refused the extension Tilman offered.

Replacing him now would repeat what happened in 2016.

I see two things happening at the end of this season if Rockets fail to make the finals.

Morey and D'antoni will both be fired. Tilman will probably hire a college coach.

10. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

DAntoni has had plenty of opportunities and it’s getting old

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

For all of you who blame Dan Tony for not doing anything, I beg to differ.

He was clearly pacing the sidelines with his arms folded across his chest. That's a lot, right there.

Well, Tillman's too cheap to pay a coach to not pace the sideline. I would say, "To not coach," but......he doesn't coach, anyway.

#31 ROXTXIA, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    malakas likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Look we all know MDA runs the offense and he lets his head assistant run the defense. It ultimately cost the Bzdelik his job last year that he didn’t make adjustments.

Bzdelik said he didn’t have the personnel to successfully make the changes needed.

I think both are true. The Rockets are NOT going to be a really good defensive team against elite offensive teams until they get get the right type of players for the 3/4 and 4/5. We haven’t done that and I don’t know that the Rockets have the assets to add them.

Turner is nothing special, but he is more willing to adjust on the fly and tweak his system to try to account for his lack of personnel.

I don’t think Rockets fans realize how back the Rockets are 3-5 overall and especially defensively for the system we run.

In our system we need long, rangy/wirey and smart swings to to switch. We only have a 50 year old Thabo.

Having said that, the Warriors defense is possibly worse. People are finally going to see just how BAD Curry is and Russell isn’t going to be able to cover for him on that end.

BasketMAD, Deuce, CCity Zero and 2 others like this.
  13. smp

smp Member

MDA said in an interview a few years ago that analytics show the big man post up is one of the two worst shots in basketball. Only the “toe on the 3 point line” shot is worse.

I completely disagree and last night shows why. Yes- you will lose if you post up the whole game. Over the course of 82 games, running a bunch of postups isn’t a good idea. But crunch time is where that changes. That’s when you abuse whatever advantage you have and mitigate your disadvantages. We have 2 defensive centers sitting on the bench while Tucker gets shot over with high percentage shots and no adjustments made. That’s a damn good shot in the final 2 minutes. Better than a low percentage 3.

CCity Zero, BaselineFade and malakas like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

The mismatch game works EXTREMELY well for the Rockets on offense AND defense IF they have length inside... it plays to our advantage. The problem is that Ariza and his 7’1” wingspan and Moute 7’3” wingspan are not on the roster.

Add length (not necessarily height) and it will look completely different.

BasketMAD, Deuce, DreamShook and 3 others like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

IF MDA puts Tucker on Embiid he might as well also order a coffin and get some flowers for his funeral.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Tilman just pay Iguodala man, we don’t gotta choice, we have no assets left either.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Couldn't agree more. Especially if the big man is also a good passer and can create wide open shots for others when double teamed.

smp likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

I keep seeing Jaymchal Green with the clips and think of how much he would help this team. 7'2 wingspan :(

he was the one i was hoping the rockets would get this offseason

DreamShook and HP3 like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

MDA’s lack of adjustments, Bucks abusing our midgets, Harden struggling with this type of defense, and EG playing like he bet on the Bucks pre-game are why we lost this game

EG threw the game, and MDA let him do it by keeping him out there for so long...-22 when no one else did worse than a -5...that’s incredibly sh*tty play

Zergling likes this.
  20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

This is where D'Antoni is exposed as a mediocre coach. You're down 4 points. You need stops. You're getting killed over and over again by Lopez in the post.

A junior high basketball coach would know to either call a timeout and devise some other defensive scheme or make a substitution and place a better defender in there to guard the offensive player.

Was D'Antoni just hoping at some point Lopez would miss? That's not coaching. That's praying.

PeterKingX likes this.