1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Bucks @ Rockets 10/24/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Frustrating loss.

Gordon was awful

Officiating was inconsistent

We had no answer for Lopez

First 3 quarters we looked good

Didn't get to watch 'live' due family obligations- but caught up on DVR only to be crushed at end.

#1661 Tfor3, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. riko

riko Member

I’m watching in disbelief the small ball nonsense when the bucks are clearly raking advantage it with lopez in the low post. Jesus Mike put in Tyson if you have no confidence in Clint. Take house out and go

Harden
    Westi
    Gordon
    Tucker
    Chandler.

Instead he was standing like a dummy making no adjustments. This stubborn streak he has is annoying .

Harden terrible game let the refs effect him. I rather Harden go 2-29 with the majority of his misses being at the rim then lazy threes. He will bounce back but that was not good.

Russ just a brilliant debut. He busted his ass off. This man is the definition warrior. Very encouraging start

Gordon pathetic

House disappeared in the key moments on defense

Chandler loved his hustle . If he was 5 years younger I would start him over the disappointment that is Clint

Deuce, MrSabotage, Tfor3 and 6 others like this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

My analysis

The negative first and will start with one that was obvious if you paid attention:

1. Harden was atrocious on defense, downright awful. He was hiding at one point behind Tyson and his man just got to the basket way too easily. There was also the fast break where he just got out of the way around the FT line - Bledsoe I believe - and if you want to argue he did that just in case the guy would euro-step then go ahead and believe whatever you want. The rest were all the common problems: ball watching, lazy rotations, late help, leaving his man or losing him, not getting back on fast breaks, which is point #2.

2. Fast break defense: this was a problem last year and it needs to be cleaned up. There should at least be one guy back and a few times it was actually the guy who shot it like Westbrook or House. That cannot happen. Also perimeter defense, we dared them to shoot at times but at least get close enough to get to them. More importantly though, we gave up open threes simply because of getting there late by going under a pick, switch or just bad awareness.

3. MDA and his lack of adjustments, especially to their size. It was clear we were struggling because of it and even after all our missed threes and clear struggles on the perimeter, he just refused to put in Tyson Chandler. What a ****ing stubborn idiot, my doubts are confirmed every single time with this guy. I like him as a person, he seems like a fun guy, but my god is he awful at recognising what's going on in the game. More worried about whining like Harden.

4. That's my other point, the whining. Harden, Gordon, Tucker to a degree though he had very good arguments and just stated his case. Just play the damn game, this throwing your hands up on offense whenever someone touches you and you feel you should've gotten a foul called is getting old. The thing is not just the whining, but actually not getting back on the play because of it is unacceptable. Harden of course had his handful of those and Gordon should be more worried about his dribbling and penetration.

5. Focus on threes: I know it will not go away, but that stretch where Gordon and Harden were shooting every single three they could get to get themselves going - even heavily contested - was detrimental to the team. We were trying to shoot ourselves back in the game instead of just looking for the best opportunity to score.

Now the positives, which were also plenty:

1. Westbrook was very solid, especially his energy (late). He was the only reason we were in it late with his hustle, which is something we've needed since the loss of Beverley. He was everywhere, on rebounds, fast breaks, drive and kicks and had some nifty passes to Capela and Tyson.

2. Tyson Chandler looked very good, actually has the size to finish those plays that Nene couldn't. This makes the choice by MDA to go small even worse. I think Morey has a hand in this too with the belief that size does not matter and small ball is the way to go.

3. Our starting line-up is solid with some great defense by Tucker and House to start with to pick up for Harden and Westbrook to a degree, though at least the latter brings the energy. I loved both guys' play, especially House penetration off of a pass to at least put pressure on the defense. Tucker was just all over the place and he really tried against the big guys, but you cannot teach size unfortunately.

4. Our bench was very solid too, though we haven't seen much from Rivers. McLemore brought the shooting touch left by Green, Tyson was great, Thabo get some rebounds and at least we went deep.

5. Our offense: surprisingly it was very good, lots of quick passes and several picks set to guys open but we got away from it late when Gordon and Harden decided to shoot every 3 they wanted. I am not too worried about it anymore, with Westbrook and Harden on the floor it can definitely work.

I don't want to draw any conclusions just yet, but Westbrook clearly tried to get that triple-double by not looking to score for a while and just making passes. At some point he said **** it and just went to work, which paid off. While it's good for him to get guys involved, if that becomes the focus and stop looking to score then it becomes an issue. If it motives him to play better, then I have less of a problem with it.

As far as the Bucks go, they simply made their open threes and rode their big guy. I was impressed by Ilyasova, his position defense was outstanding and he cut off our trio of Gordon, Harden and WB several times and once cut off one or two in the same possession. Bledsoe tried to get tough with Harden and WB told to him to **** off, which I really loved. He did not really have that impact like last year, that's why Harden's pathetic play was even worse.

Right now, I am most worried about MDA and Harden. The former for not playing bigs, lack of holding guys accountable, just allowing guys to shoot threes, the usual. Harden's defense, struggle with physical defenders and focus on his push-offs are definitely a worry. He does not handle it well when things don't go his way. Westbrook is the least of my worries.

The challenge is something I definitely hope will be expanded, one per quarter would be great, but the a jump ball is just awful. It should be going to the team who was awarded right, just like when a call is overturned. And referees did not ruin this game, it was not rigged or anything like that, they were just not calling Giannis for his offensive fouls but that's nothing new.

#1663 JW86, Oct 25, 2019
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One aspect that we may prolly overlook is the fact that Brodie has less pressure than in OKC, I mean he isn’t the Number one option.

If he does not work out, he can be moved.

It is a bonus to have him. However, Harden has to deliver every night.

5. JW86

JW86 Member

When Harden is checking out like tonight at times, you need a guy like Westbrook / Beverley at least energy wise and Brodie can score and create so it's a NECESSITY! Not a bonus..

lw17 and deb4rockets like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For you maybe, I have no real high expectations, he will really do well. I meant we didn’t draft him or he didn’t play here multiple years, he is a friendly mercenary for now till he can become that hero.

Harden on the other hand, can’t chill because his friend is a superstar in his own right.

#1666 daywalker02, Oct 25, 2019
  7. eman

eman Contributing Member

Maybe if MDa had played Clemons at the 5...

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes to all of that!! On the bright side, EGO and James will both bounce back. They are both capable of magic. As for MDA, that was inexcusable, and at the point of a quick fire button. As almost everyone has stated with so many nice adjectives, the small ball fixation is the game killer.

If he can't or won't change when the opposition dictates the necessity, then that big ole sized boot at the Texas State Fair might be the right size to kick him clear outta Houston once and for all

9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

It's a game we should've won, but Harden's shot selection was horrendous. Every time he forced a stepback 3 the Bucks went on a run. Gordon's 3's were makeable & I'll live with a bad game from him. But Harden's literally doing anything he pleases without any pushback

solid and jboslett like this.
  10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Agree to disagree. Never too late to start rooting for the clippers

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

Westbrook was always going to be a hard sell for me and every loss we have will keep confirming that. Chris Paul got us wins.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good writeup

BaselineFade likes this.
  13. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

We need more effort from harden on defense, stop the nonsense 3 point shooting, stop the small ball crap when your getting your ass kicked. Coach needs to make adjustments that dumbass said adjustments are overrated no wonder he never won anything with stack teams.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

We just needed to hit every shot, since we gave up a free basket every time :D:oops:

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Pretty much perfect.

16. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

MDA cost the rockets last nights game (even though gordon and harden sucked big time)

WB was great.

PeterKingX, Mkieke and J Sizzle like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

At least we can say Westbrook was pretty good, probably better then anyone expected.

PeterKingX, daywalker02 and linvetb6 like this.
  18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously the 2nd half offense was trash, but we know that Harden and Gordon will have better efforts.

The defense was most concerning, just as it was most of last season.

19. macan

macan Member

this is Gordon's way of saying *** you MDA for taking me out of starting lineup..

20. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

Harden doesnt want to say it but Bucks has his number and I'm sure its pissing him off