1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. dejamike

dejamike Member

I’m certain that China is behind this ....hahaha

2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

While they obviously did it too late to make any difference on the public opinion I'm still glad they did it.

I love this organization. I think they are top class, but I just can't defend this entire situation. If you trade for a guy that was in the middle of a suspension for domestic violence, you can't get mad at people that bring it up when he pitches.

Taubman was stupid for doing what he did I dont care how many times the reporter has tweeted about it. I'm glad the Astros finally caved and got rid of him.

Major likes this.
  3. AstrosRockets1818

I wish he would. Because we all know how he would grab those reporters lol

Houstunna and airflights92 like this.
  4. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

After reading the latest Astros statement (especially the part about intent), I'm ok with the decision to fire Taubman. I doubt he'll get another job in pro sports anytime soon, if ever.

Now, there needs to be an investigation into the Astros PR department, some policy improvements in how they handle incendiary situations, and possibly some terminations there. Whoever drafted and whoever approved the initial statement a few days ago needs to be in hot water.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Sexual assault and rape. LMAO amirite?

vinsensual, Nook, H-Town Info and 2 others like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is the PR Department drafted or recommended drafting a statement that Taubman apologize and take full accountability for his actions. My guess is that one or more of Crane, Reid Ryan, Luhnow, and Taubman pushed for the language issued.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Like the inane thing that Alyson Footer used her platform with MLB to taunt Osuna and the Astros then used her media buddies to keep her name out of the story though she's precisely who Taubman was taunting and they all know why? Not your best take.

Leaving out relevant facts in a story to protect your buddy is lying and misleading.

Houstunna and J.R. like this.
  8. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

this world is actually sad

sensitive world we live in

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  9. airflights92

airflights92 Member

I suppose he can find work in the Trump administration.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Brandon Taubman, Martin Shkreli, and Donald Trump Jr should form a boy band.

Edit: maybe throw in Brock Turner too

11. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Was Taubman a George Costanza type or did he have a lot of influence in the front office (regarding drafts, trades, free agency, etc)?

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Poor Astros and their thin-skinned front office and DV apologists. Oh my God, she tweeted about women getting help with DV problems. Women victimized may have read her tweets and actually lead a woman to get help and get out of an abusive relationship. The horror. The horror.

TheFreak and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jeff Luhnow said the Astros' original statement "should have never been sent." He will not reveal who wrote the statement, only saying a group of people were involved.

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow says Monday's statement "was wrong and we own it as an organization. Many people were involved in reviewing it."

Jeff Luhnow said the Astros decided yesterday to take action against Brandon Taubman unilaterally, ahead of MLB taking any action

Jeff Luhnow said he saw the original statement before it went out.

Luhnow on if he had role in statement: "I saw it before it went out. A lot of people saw it before it went out. In that respect, I did (have involvement)."

Jeff Luhnow: "This is not endemic. This is not a cultural issue."

Luhnow said initially they understood the reporters overheard one colleague was talking to another, and issued a statement accordingly. Later learned the words were directed at a reporter. Would not explain the decision to suggest the reporter had fabricated what she heard.

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow: The truth is Brandon made inappropriate comments... They are not something we stand for, or we're going to tolerate.

Behavior was “out of character” for Taubman, Luhnow said. “This is not a cultural issue. We have a lot of really good people in our front office, our coaching staff, and our team.”

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow: "We acted as quickly as we could."

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow: The apology is for (the reporters) having to witness the incident and certainly for having the reaction the Astros had, which was inappropriate and wrong.

Luhnow says that in the immediate aftermath of the incident, and before issuing the first statement, they relied on Taubman’s view and one corroborating colleague. After the statement and before the new one, they interviewed everyone who would have been with in earshot.

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow asked if anyone else will be disciplined for what has transpired since Saturday: "I don't know what's going to happen in the future."

Luhnow said it was “devastating” to learn what really happened. “I wouldn’t wish it on anyone in this room, just like I wouldn’t wish it on anyone in this room to sit up here and answer these questions either.”

Jeff Luhnow said that, before the team issued its original statement, only Brandon Taubman and another Astros employee were spoken to for their perspective.

Jeff Luhnow said he has not reached out to any of the women to whom Brandon Taubman directed his tirade. He said he plans to.

Jeff Luhnow on why: "I have been traveling up here. I had to have a pretty tough conversation this morning with someone that's worked with me for a long time. But I will, as soon as I can."

Sports Illustrated's Stephanie Apstein was among the reporters at the news conference

[​IMG]

#493 J.R., Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So... fire Jeff luhnow? He did oversee the original statement.

look, I’m completely supportive of the Astros taking action against an employee for an outburst and lying... but this seems like a much bigger story than warranted.

there have been far more serious transgressions from front office executives (DWI’s, physical altercations, directly calling out media members and assaulting them on camera) that didn’t receive anywhere close to this sort of coverage.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, I'm sure her MLB twitter feed resulted in a rush of women to call a DV hotline rather than just a lot of men becoming annoyed that she continually injected her own personal issues into her job. She was so proud of her behavior that she asked her buddies to keep her name out but reminded them she was wearing a DV bracelet that nobody knew or cared about. The fake news apologist over here.

16. MystikArkitect

Just....stop....

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I will say, one person I do have a lot of respect for in this situation is AJ Hinch. He certainly knows how to handle himself.

The Astros should have let him write the original statement.

elrond, Invisible Fan, Nook and 4 others like this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

A locker room full of guys drinking and celebrating after just reaching the World Series is about as laid back a "professional setting" as it gets.

It was basically a party.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Well a lot of people are really mad about this. Genuinely mad for sure. Not fake mad. But definitely real mad.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That’s fine... so mad enough to fire JL?

fiersdownbelow likes this.