1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Ask the concierge that reported the event. The police reported “significant injuries” to his girlfriend at the time of his arrest.

Further MLB gave him the third longest suspension in the history of their domestic violence protocol.

The Blue Jays organization stated that they supported the leagues decision to suspend Osuna for violating the domestic violence policy.

Jeff Luhnow said he believed Osuna was “remorseful”.

BTW she was his girlfriend, they lived together and had a child together... I consider that a spouse.

MLB does not suspend a player under the DVP without strong evidence because they risk a defamation suit. Further Osuna has never sued MLB for defamation or lost wages.

The Crown dropped the case because they could not legally make her comeback from Mexico to testify.

Her actions after his arrest are consistent with someone abused.

Roberto Osuna is a piece of ****, he beat the mother of his child. It really isn’t debatable.

foggy94, rhino17, Wulaw Horn and 3 others like this.
  2. aroundtheblock2

Yes and that would include being accused orinvestigated. It doesnt require that hes guilty of any crime. It's a PR punishment. the mlb is not a real judicial system, it's like a company.

If you were accused and investigated for child p*rn then youd be fired from your job. That doesnt mean you are guilty of the crime.

I thought this was common sense.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  3. aroundtheblock2

Source that isnt a message board rumor?

4. Nook

Nook Member

Are you serious? They are his lawyers.... they are paid to defend him. The concierge disappeared and the abuse victim went back to Mexico after Osuna met with her family.

Here is a simple thought.... don’t hit a woman, don’t hit your gf/wife.... don’t hit the mother of your child.

He got away with because he was rich and she was scared to testify.

Roberto Osuna is a piece of ****. People that defend men that hit women or make excuses for it are pieces of ****.

rhino17 and rpr52121 like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Try reading newspaper articles. Further out of all of that, that is what you came up with?

Shortly after he was arrested video of him in jail was released. Someone from the hotel called the police.
    The police confirmed he was arrested on a domestic battery charge and noted “significant injuries” to the victim.

Other details are sealed because under Canadian law they remain sealed until there is a trial.

He beat the wife of his kid in a hotel... that’s what all the evidence points to. I hope he never lays another hand on a woman and if he does I hope someone breaks his neck.

6. Nook

Nook Member

No. It isn’t PR.

The league investigates the allegations. The league talks to the victim, to the police, prosecutor and defense attorney.

The league then discusses it with their attorneys to ensure they meet the legal threshold and they suspend according to the evidence and severity. The league suspended him without pay for nearly half a season. That is a very serious punishment. Osuna and his lawyers never contested the suspension. They never sued for defamation or lost income. Indeed they said they would honor the suspension.

The Blue Jays said they agreed with the suspension. The Blue Jays dealt a pitcher under multiple years of control for pennies on the dollar because they didn’t want an abuser on their team.

The Astros own GM said he believed Osuna was remorseful.

The victim went back to Mexico where the Crown didn’t have jurisdiction.

He beat her. Because it was at a hotel I highly doubt it was the first time (although I cannot prove that). What he did was horrible and speaks to whom he is as a man.

His punishment is he lost about 2.5 million in salary, everyone now knows he is a piece of **** and someday he gets to explain to his child why he beat their mother.

I hope the Astros win the WS, but I won’t have any warm and fuzzy thoughts about him when he is no longer an Astro.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. dannah

dannah Member

All you have to do is go through this ladies' twitter account to see she is as salty as all the other yankee fans...she was happy to get back to yankee stadium, quote:
    "It's nice to be back at Yankee Stadium, where the fans loudly boo as the Astros' assistant athletic trainers are introduced"
    "Yankees fans are booing the jumbotron proposals, which is the correct take."

I doubt she was even close to Taubman and knew what he was talking about.

ps: i agree with Taubman, Thank God we got Osuna! Imagine if we still had Giles.

8. dannah

dannah Member

Wow ! Are you god ? He probably did hit that woman, otherwise he would have at least denied it. But you even infer it was a repeated behavior when you don't have the slightest clue.

People make mistakes and are still allowed to live normal lives. I personally believe he's paid enough for his mistake. His suspension, his lost salary, whatever he paid that woman to stay in Mexico and not testify, the abuse he's been getting ever since.

Damn, he still has people like you who will call him a piece of **** for the rest of his life...If you try hard, i'm pretty sure you can find in your own life some things that you are not very proud of, maybe even ashamed of...

ps: you can call that defending him, i don't. i think he's paid enough and deserves not to be called a piece of **** for the rest of his life, or have a salty yankee fan who acts as a reporter use him tarnish the Astros organization

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Unless I missed something I have yet to see any actual context.

Were they interviewing somebody about Osuna or were they interviewing Osuna and he was supporting him. Was he just randomly screaming it and they overheard. I really don't have an issue with this. Regardless of previous events he is currently an Astros player thereby worthy of support.

Did he just randomly go to them and start heckling? It sounds pretty clear to me this reporter has been itching for a chance to post an Osuna story, but depending on the context that doesn't make Taubman's behavior OK if this is the case.

Until I hear an actual outline of the events it's hard to feel to strongly one way or the other.

Nook likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Nope. I don’t think he has paid enough for beating up the mother of his child in a hotel.

I highly doubt that he decided it was suddenly a good idea to beat his girlfriend after years together and in a hotel. Even it was the first time, he is still a piece of ****.

No he didn’t pay his debt to society the girlfriend went to Mexico.

There are certain crimes that make you a POS for life... rape, molesting children... beating the mother of your child.

He has no criminal charges against him and he is a free man.... but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a bad person.

Also no.... I can’t say I have ever done anything like beat my girlfriend and mother of my child and then cover it up and take no accountability for it..... searched again... nope.... maybe you have but I haven’t.

You do and I will do me.

rhino17 and Invisible Fan like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

At this point it really shouldn’t involve Osuna. He may be a POS but there is no indication he has said or done anything wrong since joining the Astros. Women and fans have every right to even hate Osuna.... but this is about an executive possibly misbehaving. I find it really hard to believe there is no video somewhere.

BonziWellsGOAT and whiskeyred like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Oooooooooooh

Jina gonna ban him.

13. mightybosstone

I'm a journalist, and I take serious ****ing offense to this. Just because you don't want to believe the article or have your own preconceived notions about journalists, don't lash out and spew ignorance about an industry that's supposed to be about honesty, integrity and informing the public. We get enough of that from a certain administration right now as it is.

Whether this was taken a little out of context or not, clearly Taubman's comments were ill-advised. To so boldly and obnoxiously support the guy the night in which Osuna blew the biggest save opportunity of his life in the presence of multiple female reporters, including one wearing a domestic violence shirt--the guy has to have better self awareness than that.

14. likestohypeguy

Must be fired.

Screaming anything in the general direction of women, is problematic.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You should. It wasn't a compliment. Generally speaking, journalists these days are just trying to stur up fake outrage for clicks. This strikes me as probably that since no journalist can provide context for the comment (only the astros have).

Yea seriously. Why didnt the the guy check what bracelet everyone was wearing before supporting his player who just had a bad outing? What a monster. Unforgivable.

16. mightybosstone

Again, you're generalizing an entire industry of people who take their jobs and roles in society EXTREMELY seriously based on your own preconceived notions of what you think journalism is. You're not a journalist, and it doesn't sound like you know very much about journalism at all. Do I go to your place of work, see one guy who is a jerkoff and say "Look, every human being in tallanvor's industry is a piece of ****?" No. I don't.

Here's a take: If the Astros didn't want to deal with this story a year later, don't go get Osuna in the first place. Whether it was a year after they signed him or five years after, it's ALWAYS going to be a story. The guy beat the hell out of his wife, and you're paying him millions of dollars to throw a baseball every once in a while (and not very well, I might add). If you make the decision to add a guy like that, you need to always be hyper-aware of how you talk about the guy and the context in which you're talking about him.

Speaking out in support of domestic violence awareness, donating some money and sending the guy to counseling does not make this story go away. If they have a problem with that, then don't let him be a part of your organization. Get rid of him and play with a roster of players who didn't beat up women, maybe?

#76 mightybosstone, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  17. tallanvor

So are you with this comment.

Got it. This astros staffers real crime wasn't supporting his player, but being part of the astros organization. Guilt by association.

18. mightybosstone

No, I'm not. I'm an actual journalist who went to school for journalism, works and converses with other journalists, and has worked in the industry for over a decade. You're a pissed off fan who disagrees with a story and decides to lash out at a profession he doesn't understand. Big difference.

If you're a part of the Astros organization and you talk to a journalist and say anything especially insensitive as it relates to Osuna and/or domestic violence, you ought to know better. And if this was just the one SI writer making the claims, maybe we could question the story's legitimacy. The fact that multiple writers from competing publications have already come out and confirmed the legitimacy of the article definitely adds to its credibility.

19. tallanvor

You just generalized journalists as 'people who take their job extremely seriously'. I generalized them as something else.

He made no comments on domestic violence. He commented hes happy they traded for the player. The only context we have is from the astros org saying he was supporting his player after a bad outing. Your super serious journalist friends havent provided any other context or contradicted the astros claim. Probably because your super serious journalists friends a garbage journalists.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not to interject or cast any doubt on an entire profession, but what makes journalist so honest and worthy of respect as a whole?

They’re humans and capable of speaking/writing based off of emotion. In fact I’d say the majority of “reporting” today has too much opinion and not enough fact. Reporters are not meant to push a narrative or guide viewers thoughts. Supposed to report the news and let their readers come up with their own opinions. To say that this reporter didn’t have a bias or possible vendetta is a little disingenuous.