1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Morey’s Successor?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 13BeardsIN1, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Patrick Fertitta is going to eventually run the Rockets. His brother will run Landry’s most likely.

I’ve heard nothing of the Rockets having internal plans to promote a new GM. If the Rockets were to promote Morey the internal choices would be the two guys Morey leans on the hardest.

Eli Witus who is very good at analytics and is pivotal in the behind the scenes for trades like Chris Paul in the past. He isn’t as personable and not in the limelight.

The second is someone Morey is very close to, Monte McNair. He runs the Rockets analytics and already speaks to other clubs in trade negotiations and has recently become more involved with the draft and development.

My guess would be McNair would likely get the vote of Patrick Fertitta and Morey if he had any say.

Concerning Morey not being popular. He wasn’t popular when he was hired because he was in analytics and didn’t play or grow up in the game. He wasn’t popular because he wasn’t a typical jock and didn’t play by the unwritten rules... he was and is a maverick. Agents didn’t like him because he wouldn’t just take their rejection, he would still try to sign or trade for players against an agents wishes. His outspokenness and social media usage has upset some... he is and has been a misfit.

Unless China continues to blackball the Rockets, or teams blackball him in trade; he should be fine.

Problem is (as I said 30 minutes after the tweet) I don’t think China backdown against the Rockets and eventfully Morey is forced to resign or is given a “promotion”.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No resign, "promotion", or even retirement...Morreee GM 4evah...

mikol13 and Jontro like this.
  3. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Did you notice you didn't even get one like from your post. It's too bad we don't get to vote on threads like we used to.

Morey has consistently put winning teams on the court. He outperforms most other GM's by a wide margin. Hopefully we do not let any government preference anywhere determine who works for your team.

4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Consider these facts buddy. Tillman's circle of billionaire or covertly trillionaire friends benefit from the current Chinese Regime that includes manipulation of their currency, zero to no labor regulations, etc. I know the stigma of Chinese crap at the $0.99 store but then they have a consistent ability to manufacture certain quality electronics, Nike Goods, like no other given the productivity ratios. They have helped these North American / Western Hemisphere Trillionaires become interstellarly rich. America may preach freedom and democracy around the world but it benefits from oppressive regimes with sanctioned military occupancy that brings in $$$$$ especially in East Asia thanks to North Korea. So yeah Morey's opinion is good for truth and freedom seekers like myself but not so good for most other people including fellas like Lebron James... I respect Morey even more than ever.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm a huge fan of Morey's work …. The "random trade" threads wouldn't exist without Morey working his magic , acquiring assets and turning them into superstars time and again and doing it all while never having a season below .500 in his entire career. We all but expect Morey to do something special just about every year.

I'd be tempted to boycott the Rockets should they part ways with Morey.

Just want to point out that freedom of speech isn't applicable in this instance - Freedom of speech is protection from government oppression - Not from your employer. You have that freedom of speech but you don't have immunity from the consequences of that speech.

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

There is Zero guarantee that China will invest again in the Rockets even if Daryl Morey is fired.

Don't trust China, like Yao Ming every year playing in the Olympics, after the Rockets season ends he should be resting.

But China forcing him to play hurt or injured. Chinese people are properties or robots not human beings to the China Government.

mikol13, Plowman and BMoney like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you aren't immune from consequences of your speech then how is that freedom of speech? How can you say what you want to say if you're gonna get shot, beat up or fired if you say something? And it doesn't just apply to the gov't it applies to all institutions as well. That's why critics can make negative movie reviews without getting sued or banned by film companies or workers can rally without getting fired by companies or students can protest without getting kicked out by the schools. Of course there are common sense limits like you can't invent lies or make hate speech or say stuff that incite violence/danger etc. lol isn't this part of basic US education? Anyway, freedom of Speech isn't just part of the 1st Amendment, it's also part of the UN Basic Human Rights.

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."
    -Article 19, Universal Declaration of Human Rights https://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

That's why Morey can't be fired solely because of what he said since he made his tweet on his personal time, the Rox mgt would need other reasons to fire him like lack of performance or w/e. And if Morey wants to burn bridges, he can take that to court and make a mess of everything. If it is proven that sending pro HK tweets is the real reason he got fired then he would be entitled to compensation from both the Rockets and the NBA as a whole because that would be a violation of both US laws and UN human rights.

#67 roslolian, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  8. thekad

thekad Member

He’ll be fired for the disastrous Westbrook trade that Tilman forced on the team.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The first amendment prohibits the government from enacting laws which oppress the freedom of speech.

You aren't protected from your employer firing you or the guy you insulted punching you in the mouth.

You are protected for criticizing the gubmint …. from the gubmint.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am beginning to think Morey wants out because of Tillman - and did the Tweet on purpose to get out.

DD

tycoonchip likes this.
  11. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

RGVs losing..Rocket’s lacks depth and have a stubborn coach who doesn’t use his bench and develop young guys..no aim for the future..need a new replacement

12. DaDakota

Doesn't matter - it will be way worse.

DD

13. Nook

Nook Member

It is amazing how quickly Tillman has turned the Rockets organization into turmoil. The future isn’t bright either and Tillman will fire his GM and head coach to cover up his own screw ups. Honestly it doesn’t matter who the next GM is because Tillman and Patrick are going to go full DD on the franchise and meddle constantly.

I find myself hoping Fertitta’s investments go south and he is forced to sell the team.

14. omgTHEpotential

Mark Cuban can't wait to hire the human rights activist Daryl Morey after he gets scapegoated and fired by the evil Rockets organization.

roslolian likes this.
  15. DaDakota

I could see that happening, Cuban is a good owner.

DD

bmelo, roslolian and tycoonchip like this.
  16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is what happens when an owner forces his hand and ruins something he has worked so hard to create.

Nook likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

ill say this, a group i know sat right next to tilman and pat today at the game and lets just say there was a ton of visible/very vocal frustrations from both of them about westbrick. A whole lot of wtf are you doing moments

Nook likes this.
  18. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Agree with everything you said here. Just wanted to add the caveat that freedom of speech can also be understood as a culture phenomenon that encourages the free exchanges of ideas and where actions, not ideas are punished. From a USA perspective this is the type we should focus more on.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I was more trying to point out the legal aspect - the statement Morey cant be fired because its freedom of speech is just flat out wrong as the protection doesn't exist.

A lot of people misunderstand the first amendment thinking it lets you say anything you want without consequence and that's just false.

The only thing it protects you from is reprisal from the government. The government cant make you "shut up" nor take action against you for your words against it.

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  20. mikeshinoda

mikeshinoda Member

Yes and No. It was but it no longer is. Just don’t act like China never changes & improves. You can’t imagine how much of hatred the govt is receiving from fans after overusing elite players like Yao, LiuXiang, LiNa(5-10 yrs ago?). Ppl are middle fingering the sports administration on daily basis. You see clear trend that the govt is changing bcuz of such pressure. Only your media never reports anything positive rgd China. But yes, team China has a lot to do with Yao’s short career in the Rox. So much that u can find cursing words toward Chinese basketball association in top comments in every Yao Ming news today in China. We miss Yao. Dude I’m not even mad and I respect ur opinion though but..

#80 mikeshinoda, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019