1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Rose: James Harden is playing like Russell Westbrook isn’t there

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Starvela, Oct 18, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

well yea, which is why it was a stupid trade. CP3 got him inches from a title and 65 wins, Harden was playing more team ball then too. The stupid 30pt streak got to his head

ronclone likes this.
  2. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

This is the damn problem here!!! He starts walking back just like when CP3 had the ball...Freaking cut, move, do something, don't just walk back because the damn ball is not in your hands, it's like playing 5-4 ball man!!! Harden is great, but he can be greater!!! Instead of learning a new stupid move, learn how to move without the ball!!!

Y2JT and IvanLCPM like this.
  3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I like Jalen, but you don't expect ESPN analysis to actually be based on solid research, do you? I mean, who has time for that?

Personally, I still think they'll be fine. I'll keep thinking that until, maybe 30 or 40 games in, and it clearly isn't working. THEN there will be some basis for conclusion.

A good way to look at any long term analysis is to break the season into quarters. ie, you don't really know how a team will do until you have at least a quarter of the season to look at. Then you can see if they fix the issues from the first quarter in the second quarter.

You CERTAINLY don't know anything by watching one preseason game. But then knowing anything was never a prerequisite for them to open their pie holes.

Stephen_A, Vivi, DreamShook and 2 others like this.
  4. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I think dantoni offense runs a whole lot better than what is currently displayed. Harden is the culprit. I all he wants to do is stat pat. It's james that got to make the biggest sacrifice.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Harden is not going to show any off ball movement and he's not going to dig in consistently on defense.

This is his world and Westbrook is just living in it.

But I think they are still going to coexist well. I still expect them to find the right mix.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

If I didn't know better, I'd think Jalen knows that a take like his will resonate with all those NBA fans who hate Harden.

It's almost like a TV or radio personality knows that "hot takes" that ignite a large segment of fans mean better ratings.

#26 topfive, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    malakas, Deuce, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

It’s on the coach as well.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wish Russell Westbrook wasn't there.

J Sizzle likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Not really, but when the Rockets are in the handful of teams with Championship aspirations, I expected them to watch a little more closely.

10. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

That’s exactly correct. Harden is a scorer but he’s also the facilitator. A backup PG is all we need when he takes a rest. What Harden needs, and has always needed are guys that can spot up and shoot the 3, especially since this offense is almost entirely run to set up 3 point shots. Yes, RW can facilitate plays and eventually I expect to see him throwing up lobs to Capela, but as pointed out already, he’s not a 3 pt shooter, which doesn’t bold well for a playoff run.

Personally, I don’t see this team as real contenders unless we bring in a PF or center that can shoot. Capela will never be a shooter. All he’s good for is lobs and dunks, and of course he a solid defender and rebounder against smaller teams. I know it was just preseason but the game against San Antonio showed just how deficient this team is without a big man that can post up or defend against the likes of a big center. And given that Portland, Denver, Dallas, the Clippers, and the Lakers are much bigger, I just don’t see the Rockets going anywhere unless we make a trade or change coaches. Just my two cents...

#30 RocketOrg, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    fattz and Reeko like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

I said it before, but it’s Harden’s game that needs to adapt.

amaru likes this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

“Harden and Westbrook chemistry disaster” gets clicks on ESPN so they will push it regardless. This is known.

malakas and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Much a do about nothing.

WB is rusty, returning from injury.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  14. riko

riko Member

They looked pretty good tonight till Russ dislocated his finger.

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

“Yeah.... James, we know you are one of the 3-4 best offensive players in NBA history.... buuuttt.... we need you to change for us and adjust to the guy that is a 40% shooter. Now don’t get mad, we know you have worked on your game to the point you drop 35 points a night but... do it for the team.”

justtxyank, Deuce and ElPigto like this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beard keep Bearding. Y’all shut your traps.

cbass likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

He looked pretty damn good to me dropping 40+ points in his sleep and leading the offense to 145 points.

The issue isn’t James or how he plays. The issue is that Westbrook is not a great or efficient shooter and outside of Gordon, the Rockets have very limited role players.

Westbrook needs to defend, rebound, pass the ball, trigger the fast break and penetrate.... if that means 15 points, that’s fine if he has 10 boards and 7-8 assists and a couple steals... the Rockets will be extremely good if that happens. If anything Westbrook is lucky he can concentrate on things other than scoring a lot... James is an absolute monster and makes Westbrook’s job a lot easier

cbass, Deuce, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  18. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

100% agree...Harden is a legit superstar, he's on another planet offensively. Russ needs to adapt and realize he's not need needed to muscle the offensive anymore, focus on being a facilitator and attacking the basket when his shot is off. If this team trades for a legit 4 and fully commits to defense, game over.

Nook likes this.
  19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

They will stagger the minutes. Both will go off. The Rockets will win. Jalen Rose will move on to another topic.

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

harden can do whatever he damn pleases. dude looks even better than last year... like how!??!?

deb4rockets, fattz and hakeem94 like this.