1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets and Lakers attack Morey in backroom meeting with Silver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Oct 14, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

How many Pro-China Troll Accounts I mean dormant accounts was ClutchFans hit with @tinman

Pizza_Da_Hut and tinman like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Truth

3. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

This segment was broken into 2 parts.

Decent discussion for once. Racial element being brought up by more and more African Americans.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  4. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Very simple issue which people failed to see.

You value freedom of speech, then respect others on their freedom of choice.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

I know some of you aren't as smart as some of us
    but that's life

Disney owns ESPN

If you don't understand how that influences these talk shows, then you don't understand lots of things

It's like we're watching Breaking Bad and you guys are watching Dora the Explorer

6. tinman

Supporting Member

@J.R.
    https://www.si.com/nba/2019/10/17/lakers-fan-raises-43k-stand-with-hong-kong-shirts
    Lakers Fan Raised Nearly $43K to Distribute 'Stand With Hong Kong' Shirts at Season Opener
    ORIGINAL:
    OCT 16, 2019
    • Lakers' Reddit page to announce his plan, sharing the link to his GoFundMe account with a goal of raising $20,000.

"China is trying to censor the Houston Rockets (update: and now the entire NBA) because of Hong Kong," the GoFundMe page said. "Wouldn’t it be hilarious if on opening night in Staples Center the NBA fanbase made a collective demonstration against censorship by wearing “STAND WITH Hong Kong” T-Shirts?"

Lared collected more than double that amount before donations were disabled.

The relationship between the NBA and China was disrupted after Rockets general manager Daryl Morey's tweet, which included a photo of protestors in Hong Kong with the caption, "Fight For Freedom. Stand With Hong Kong." Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta denounced the tweet and said the Rockets were "not a political organization" and that Morey did not speak for the team.

A pair of NBA Cares events in Shanghai were cancelled as the fallout from Morey's tweet continued, and China's state-run TV network, CCTV, suspended its NBA programming due to the controversy. The Chinese basketball federation also canceled upcoming G League exhibition games between teams affiliated with the Rockets and Mavericks.

told reporters he believed Morey was "misinformed and not educated on the situation" when he tweeted in support of anti-government protestors in Hong Kong. James clarified in a tweet afterward that he does "not believe there was any consideration for the consequences and ramifications of the tweet. I’m not discussing the substance. Others can talk about that."

The Lakers will play the Los Angeles Clippers on opening day.

clutchdabear and malakas like this.
  7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

LOL wut?

No, it boils down to this, if LeBron wants to cultivate a league where it's participants value activism over profit, he can't pick and choose which activist groups he supports. Freedom of speech cuts both ways, it protects speech we like and speech we don't like. We as Americans live with that compromise daily and enjoy the freedom even if it comes with the occasional speech we don't love.

Then again, looking at your post history, I don't expect you to understand that.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

please report this china troll to @Clutch

it's obvious the troll accounts have been activated like vinegar on baking soda
    when morey busted a tweet

help terminate their account

9. Miracle

Miracle Member

This post from a HKer basically explains all the possibilities as well as what the protesters expect. China will not send military force unless absolutely necessary (the protesters actually prefer that and reactions from the western world than the status quo).

I get that there were some police misconducts as well. Meanwhile, I doubt CCP has as much control of the HK police as the army in mainland China. I'm not saying CCP is not working together with the HK police. It is just the levels of control might differ. Meanwhile, many HK policemen are not trained directly by CCP either.

No evidence suggests that Jimmy Sham is beaten by someone under the instruction of CCP. Do not forget that there are many pro-China HKers as well. And there had been several clashes been the protesters and them.

It is a fact that the protesters are destroying the city. If the protesters want their rights, what about the rights of other HKers who just want to live a normal life and do not want to be involved?

The US is only using Hong Kong as a political tool for its own interest. It is unlikely that the US will care about the future development of the city after the destruction or pay to repair the properties.

At the end of the day, the protesters are making their own life harder by destructing government properties and hurting the city's international image. Hopefully they will not ask the central government to help cover any of those losses.

What do you mean by "take away all their rights and liberties and enforce they same draconian rules that mainland China"? The controversial extradition bill has already been officially withdrawn for more than a month and the protesters are asking for more. Also, I do not think you understand the bill: (1) it applies only to fugitives who violate Chinese laws in mainland China; (2) fugitives who commit political or several kinds of financial crimes are explicitly excluded for extradition.

Meanwhile, the HKers never had so much freedom when they were ruled by the British government (the British merely started democratization near the end of their ruling only to keep their control over HK). And they are asking for more freedom from mainland China while enjoying more economic benefits.

#169 Miracle, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

There is no question that there are protesters that would welcome the Chinese military because it escalates the issue and forces people to take sides.

My family in Hong Kong wants self autonomy and does not want to be part of mainland China. However they are scared of the carnage and remember 1989 and are very aware of restrictions in liberties in mainland China.

They have hoped that USA would intervene militarily but that will not happen anytime soon.

Many young think they can force outside intervention if China attacks.

I firmly believe that Hong Kong police are having pressure to control the situation from the CCP.

There are some reports of mainland Chinese orchestrating or being involved in some of the actions. Similar to the Russians in Crimea. My point was that there is violence on each side (as is always the case with lengthy protests).

That is what happens when protests are lengthy and you have people wanting a revolution or evolution. The same thing happened with Mao and with Washington in the USA.

No the USA would not and should not pay for repairs if Hong Kong remains part of China. Why would the USA pay? If (hypothetically) Hong Kong got it's independence, they would have no problem getting aid from the USA and UK and the West.

You feel this way because you do not understand their mindset. This is no long about the extradition bill. This is about many people in Hong Kong not wanting to be governed by the CCP. The CCP will attempt to acculturate Hong Kong like they have other parts of China. That is not what many there want. Many want self determination. The idea of self determination is especially popular with those that are under 40.

This is not just about the extradition bill anymore. This is about many people in Hong Kong not wanting to lose the right to express themselves, to have freedom of press and to have a form of government that they value. This has been brewing for a long time. Look no farther than the huge turnout and memorials every year for Tiananmen Square slaughter. The level of freedoms in Hong Kong and China are vastly difference in practice.

it isn't a comparison to Britain as they would not go back to being ruled by Britain. Many want (but know it isn't likely) to be their own separate place. Those people would gladly give up any financial benefits from China. Lets be clear, if Hong Kong was not part of China, they would have ZERO difficulty in getting investment from the West and would do very well financially.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

12. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Those are stupid comments and poor excuses. First of all, Hong Kong is part of China whether you like it or not. There is no question or doubt in that. That’s like saying I am black the south discriminate me so therefore I want to separate the north from south. Oh yea, the civil war happened. Your family can leave Hong Kong if they don’t like living there.

The protest was started because of the extradition law but since it was killed why are the protesters still rioting??? No one has thought perhap the goal wasn’t about the law but the timing of it with what’s going on around the world may have something to do with it?

stop supporting riots as they have no basis or ground to stand on. You are just a minority in number who thinks Hong Kong is not a lovely place to live. Rest of the Hong Kong people loves and enjoy their lives.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Just attack them back on the basketball court.

Would love to watch Lefraud suffer through another miserable year in his misguided quest to catch Jordan's legacy.

lulz.

malakas, AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  14. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

care to explain this to Donald sterling? Where was his freedom of expression or speech? Sure his speech and attitude wasn’t the greatest given the majority of the people in NBA are blacks.

Lebron said what he has to say. He didn’t pick side and he basically said Morey made an uninformed tweet. What you now think you know what is going on in Hong Kong that Moreys tweet is right? I want to hear about that!

you just pick sides before you even know a thing about what’s going on. Stick to basketball, leave the rest to those who can comprehend.

15. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

seriously is that the best you can come up with?
    Like a little girl running to mommy and crying for help.

you really need to grow up, you have to be in your 30s by now.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Troll accounts getting paid for trolling
    Hope it buys you a cheap LeBron tv shirt

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Shut up troll
    You never were a rockets fan

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

OK, like I explained, LeBron and Co have worked toward a progressive league, one where activism is ahead of profit. Sterling is the antithesis of activism, and, if you knew anything about sterling it wasn't just what he said that did him in. He for years had done shady practices with his housing projects, ones where even his wife pretending to be a government official. It was a large body of work that painted a bigot and cheapskate.

Nice try though, your troll powers are strong. Too bad you have the intellect of a roomba.

clutchdabear and malakas like this.
  19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Hey, trolls, stop equating Morey's tweet to sterling. It's not even close. Maybe look up all the crap Sterling did, the lying, the cheating, the posing as government officials. Listen to the 30 for 30 podcast on how Sterling cut corners with his players health. Maybe look at his record as an owner. It wasn't just like he said the n word and was out, the guy was short of being a klan member.

Morey sent one tweet.

Yeah. Not. Even. Close.

20. Miracle

Miracle Member

What makes HK unique for the USA and UK to aid HK if it is independent? What interest can they get from HK? One reason might be to curb the increasing power of China. But HK is dependent on mainland China much more than the western countries: water, electricity, oil & gas, vegetables, etc. (see this article for more details) There is no way that HK can turn its foreign policy entirely towards the western countries.

I understand their mindset. I had summarized some opinions related to the issue in another post.

Major industries in HK have many customers from mainland China. If HK is independent, some of those customers could look for alternatives. If mainland China is involved politically (e.g., tighten the economic policies), the situation will be much worse. China will also develop other cities to replace as much functionalities of HK as possible.

The central government also played some roles in the 1997 and 2008 financial crises (see this article for more). If HK is independent, it will lose a strong support in those situations.

It is unrealistic for the western countries to replace all the functionalities of China.

Meanwhile, why would the western companies increase their investments if Hong Kong is separated from China?

#180 Miracle, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019