1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Jump] Adam Silver: China requested Daryl Morey's firing; We said "No Chance"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Oct 17, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

It crossed my mind Morey made that tweet with the intention of getting fired. Maybe he thought he had played all his cards in Houston, made the team as competitive as he could but didn't see a route to a championship and thought, "I'll let myself get fired and move on to another franchise after it blows over."

IDK if that has any validity to it but it did cross my mind.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. BreakYoSelfFool

DM probably thought that Chinese people don't use twitter or something :confused:

3. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

A couple of thoughts about the misinformed blow-back on the Morey tweet:

(1) At some point -- on a macro level -- money means nothing. We all live (if we're lucky) approximately 80 to 90 years on this earth, then we die.

Taking the side of freedom and democracy and, invariably, a stand against a regime that currently has over a million muslims in what are ostensibly Chinese concentration camps (and has routinely persecuted persons of faith, Christians or otherwise...) is not simply a "subtle difference in the way two cultures work" the way the NBA and LeBron are low-key insinuating.

This is a totalitarian regime who's long-game is to create a global system whereby western society bends the knee because we've financially sold out in such a way that we now are somewhat dependent in 'suckling at the communist-teat' of the Chinese government.

(2) Martin Luther King, Jr. once said "...injustice ANYWHERE is a threat to justice EVERYWHERE".

It's not just our 'communities'. Or our 'own country'. That's a cop-out.

"....a threat to justice EVERYWHERE".

The hypocrisy of the NBA and some of it's players to essentially stick their heads in the sand while millions are getting persecuted by a government who imposes state-run media, forces Apple to deactivate certain apps that are not in concert with government alliance, and is arguably more intolerant regarding different religions, LBGTQ rights, freedom of speech, and other human rights than almost any other country in the world.

Let's say, for instance, similar to North Korea.

Except North Korea doesn't manufacture shoes, pay huge money to the NBA for TV deals, or give out endorsement money to players. Again, money drives everything. It may be reality, but it doesn't make it right.

(3) There is no 'nuance' here. This isn't simply the difference between, say, a "parliamentary government" vs a "democratic republic". China is a communist regime like Russia. Just as bad. Worse in some respects.

They own us in so many ways. Again, they've played the long-game since the mid-1990's here -- purchasing interests in US corporations and creating intellectual property partnerships with some of our biggest tech companies, etc....

And the unmitigated gall to gerrymander and cherry-pick which issues we're going to sell out on is appalling.

It's easy to be a "social justice hero" when you're picking low-hanging fruit like stupid “bathroom laws" in North Carolina (... and, thus, moving the All-Star game to another location and not affecting the NBA's financial bottom-line in the least), yet quickly play dumb and claim “I’m uninformed” on the most basic of well-documented, human rights-violating countries.

Do we really think that Kerr and Pop don't follow the news or are THAT uninformed? That's idiotic....

(4) If LeBron is self-admittedly "uninformed" and "uneducated" on the Hong Kong topic, then how could he POSSIBLY know the level of Morey's knowledge on the subject?

In other words, if I willfully admit that I have know idea about, say, the machinations of becoming a Rhodes scholar, then how would I have the ability to comment on SOMEONE ELSE’S knowledge on the subject? The answer is that I wouldn't.

Yet LeBron is brazen enough to claim Morey (...an MIT graduate) is "uneducated" on the subject.

Granted, graduating from MIT doesn't inherently make anybody an expert on geopolitical issues....but I suspect Morey has enough intellectual curiosity to study the issue -- even on a basic level -- and have a personal epiphany that "freedom is good".

Both LeBron and the NBA (Kerr, Pop, etc...) are not only intellectually dishonest but also have lost the moral high-ground to selectively speak about injustices if they only choose those that don't affect their profit margins.

Again, how much are we going to sell out for.....$10,000? $30,000? Millions? Billions? Whatever the amount, the simple fact is we're selling out.

Or, I should say, have already sold out.

We have a moral duty to help those that cannot help themselves to the best of our ability.

As human beings.

We can't save the world, but if we have the unmitigated gall to take measures to rightfully disavow states (North Carolina) over 'bathroom bills' that supposedly offend us enough to disrupt their commerce, then disavowing nations (China) that clearly cut against the moral fabric that we've fought world wars to protect should not only be compulsory, but simply the right thing to do.

Yet we do on one (North Carolina), but not the other (China). Hmm.....interesting. I wonder why [insert sarcasm and dollar signs here].

Nike, the NBA, the players, and our big corporations getting in bed with a communist regime that has no compassion for human beings that dare to have different views than the state itself is not doing our moral due diligence to sway regimes to change.

Instead, our human greed has us bending the knee to a nasty government while they persecute dissenters.

That's not the way humans should comport ourselves. That is simply cowardice driven by greed.

Dr. King would be ashamed.

tl;dr Go Rockets

4. LjGarci

LjGarci Member

At the last minute, Morey will end up dismissed if the Rockets are a 6-8 seed or an early exit in the playoffs. That will be the perfect excuse for tilman to justify his dismissal.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

China is reminding us all of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect.
    The more you try to quash something, the less you quash it.

iXnal and clutchdabear like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i don't like that Daryl Morey used his platform to weigh in on Chinese politics, especially because the situation in Hong Kong is far more complicated than most Americans even know. And i honestly think that things are really screwed up in this country, and we don't have the moral authority to call out other countries for their politics.

That said, i couldn't agree with you more Clutch. In this country, people are free to publicly criticize things they don't like. We have that right. As a privately owned business, Tillman has the right to fire Morey for the controversy he's brought on the team and upsetting his Chinese fan-base, but no one should fire or discipline Morey because the Chinese government said so. PERIOD. Folks have to be united on this.

For Lebron to say that is beyond selfish.

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Lol ... Perkins is a Lebron buttlicking commie douchebag!!! :cool:

(P.S.) When Perkins speaks, it makes ALL humanity sound/look bad!!!

#67 BamBam, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  8. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Tilman is lawyering up to see how he can get out of Morey s contract to please his overlord$####$$

HP3 likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Even if Tilman wanted to fire Morey, there's no way he can do it now. Not without alienating the HOUSTON fan base.

10. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

He did stop him from tweeting, or maybe its just DM being cautious. He hasn't tweeted since the incident.

11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

This is what I thought. Morey is not dumb. He knew what he was doing. But why? The only thing I can think is he was trying to stirr things up before he got himself fired, the same way someone walks into a office & creates chaos before they leave the building

12. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

He made sense to me. All these social issues happening in America, yet we're saving Hong Kong? Ppl getting killed in their own homes by police

13. Aruba77

Would you?

14. dischead

dischead Member

Morey should be fired.

15. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Has Yao given his thoughts on all of this?

16. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Fuq LePuss. Hope every team shoves it up the Lakerz’ azz. The decision might have looked kinda dumb but I didn’t think he deserved the vitriol he received for joining the Heat. What he said about Morey being uneducated on the topic and how he hurt his wallet is absolutely egregious. He deserves ten times the vitriol (minus any disrespect towards his fam— that’s never okay) of that time. Hope the Lakers are booed everywhere they go, with sellout crowds chanting sellout sellout!

17. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

The Warriors’ were a great f’ing team. Just respect it and let it go. We got really close to beating them but we didn’t get lucky enough... it sucks but we didn’t get screwed either. No other team even got close. It took every injury to KD, Klay, Loony, etc., for a fully healthy and stacked Raptors team to barely beat them. That should tell you that team was no joke. I’d still rather avoid them more than any other team.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's not that complicated.
    There are people in the US that have MLK JR's mindset, and then there's people in the US that (ahem) have the mindset like you and LeYuan.

Some people have more empathy than others, it is what it is.

#78 DatRocketFan, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    busta_cap and Elephant810 like this.
  19. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Highly doubt Fertitta is broke. But he is annoying and distasteful...

20. foofo

foofo Member

Situation in Hongkong is complicated economical and political matter. Assuming protesters/rioters get what they want, what is their next step? How is that going to make Hongkong/China a better place?

Using freedom of speech as a shield here is just hypocritical.