1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would u give up 15% of your income to support HK protest?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingLeoric, Oct 16, 2019.

?

Would u give up 15% of your income to support HK protest?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    76.8%
  1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Income that Lebron makes is NOT the same as what typical CFs make. False equivalency. It is also not taking money in order to support the US and its values at this point by not bowing to Communist regimes. If my boss was communist China, btw, I would give all of my income up.

malakas likes this.
  2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Damn so many common people say are willing to give up millions when they becaome millionaires, yet the real milliinares didn't. Shame on these real millionaires!!

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  3. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

I this is actually a useful poll, hey put your money where your mouth is.

not lebron or anyone’s money but your own. The result shows

Lovemachine2000 and KingLeoric like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) No I would not because my family relies on my earnings
    2) I don't expect anyone to give up their earnings to stand for anyone
    3) I won't criticize others who do choose to take that stand

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The poll misses the mark. I'd surrender a portion of my earnings to defy efforts to silence my speech. Absolutely. For China and Hong Kong this flap might be about Chinese governance. For me as an American stakeholder in the NBA, it's not about China at all -- it's about what boundaries players, coaches, and executives in the NBA face when they want to engage in personal political speech. If my company told me I can express my political beliefs of subjects X and Y, but not Z, there'd be a problem.

CometsWin, malakas and Nook like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Exactly. To delegate this only into HK is false.
    You think China would be fine with it if Morey tweeted about the Ughyurs?
    About democracy?
    About any other chinese issue ?

It is not only HK.
    It is about human rights, and OUR human right of freedom of speech.

If you are not allowed to talk about something you aren't allowed to talk about anything.

The CCP is already theatening european citizens who live in EU soil when they talk about Ughyur camps.

What about if they threaten you next if you make a comment they don't approve?

Would you be fine with that then?

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

OK sorry I will try to clarify.

I think there are multiple factors that need to be considered here.

How much does the political issue directly affect my life. Eg what happens in Syria does not affect my life, while some other issues do. At the same time the Syria issues may affect a Syrian or Turkish's life, or like the issues around Trump affect American people's lives.

How much does the speaking out about this issue affect me financially. Eg talking about Brexit does not impact me financially, but I work with our Saudi Arabian clients I try not to bring up middle east related political issues with them, when it does come up, I usually hold back a lot.

How much does the political issue affect my values. Eg I value loyalty very much so I get totally disgusted when I see a person betraying me or some other people. Other stuff like courage, kindness I may value a lot less than some others.

When common American people speaking about HK protest, they are speaking on an issue that does not impact their life and does not impact them financially, which is different from NBA celebrities case. So for American NBA celebrities and HK protest, in this case, I guess the question I put up is for when an issue that does not directly affect one's life but speaking about it affect one financially, to see how much people value the things (they think) HK protesters stand for and how much they are willing to sacrifice to support it. Lastly I think NBA celebrities speaking about Trump does not fall into the same category, and that's the reason there is a huge difference in the corresponding behaviors.

#187 KingLeoric, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You can stand for a principle without becoming involved in the issue directly. Lebron should absolutely state that as an American he supports freedom of speech and the right of self-determination for all people and he can also say that he doesn't think Morey understood the ramifications of his tweet. Period. He stands up for American values and he explains his stance on Morey's tweet without directly addressing Hong Kong protests. Instead he went full moron talking about how an MIT grad misunderstood an issue and then he kowtows directly to a communist regime. He screwed up and the reason it is important is that Lebron has many times entered the political arena by talking about sensitive issues in America. In this case he abdicated the role he has created for himself and it hurts his credibility.

mdrowe00, AirPower and JuanValdez like this.
  9. JuanValdez

Then I guess I just don't find this line of argument very interesting. Probably the damage Morey wrought was out-of-whack with how invested he really is in the plight of Hong Kong. He probably wouldn't do it again if he had a do-over. But, the only way in which the story is interesting to me is now will the NBA respect his free expression or not. They obviously chose not to, a cowardly choice I don't have much respect for. When Lebron wears an I Can't Breathe shirt, the NBA is happy to capitalize on it. But when letting people speak their mind risks profits, you see they're the same sort of guys that blacklisted Kaepernick. Instead of burning Lebron jerseys, I think the HK protesters should wear I Can't Breathe shirts. It's the same fight for civil rights, just the nationalities are different.

10. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I see.

What interests me is people's behaviors in general. It's a lot easier to say something than to do something, it's a lot easier to comment on something that doesn't affect me than something that does, and it's a lot easier to tell someone else to do something than to do it yourself.

I once posted some of my paintings online and got great response, everyone was like "I would totally buy one for $100!", but when I actually started trying to sell them online nobody bought them lol. I've had friends that were like bro for life, but the moment there was a conflict in some money, they just turned into different people.

There are some posters here I can tell they would make sacrifices for what they say they believe in. For most people tho, I don't trust that.

MightyMog likes this.
  11. JuanValdez

Sure, I get that. And to your question, I wouldn't sacrifice any of my money to support the Hong Kong protests that were doomed from the start. I sympathize with them, but I can't help them. We unfortunately see it too often with US foreign policy. We cared enough for Syrian freedom fighters to send them guns, but not enough to send them soldiers, so they die anyway. The world would be better off if America stopped half-assing things -- either commit or butt out.

But a cavalier tweet from a corporate exec isn't even half-assing something. It's basically a fart in the wind. I can understand the Chinese Basketball Association complaining, but their massive reaction was not at all commensurate to the offense (to American sensibilities). Our government said we won't do anything. There's no organized corporate or social counter-measure. The only thing coming out of America regarding Hong Kong are our thoughts and prayers -- and we know how effective those are. Maybe China hasn't realized this yet, but Americans really don't approve of how they choose to govern themselves. We're going to keep saying it. If China is going to keep getting their panties in a bunch about it, we're going to have trouble doing business.