1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would u give up 15% of your income to support HK protest?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingLeoric, Oct 16, 2019.

?

Would u give up 15% of your income to support HK protest?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    76.8%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The Iraq war was a disaster.

US intelligence agencies for the past century have destabilized many regions around the globe

Donald Trump is a fat orange man who has no business being the leader of the United States

The United States government has committed immense atrocities towards Native Americans, African Americans and Japanese Americans.

I can go on and on and have zero fear of my post being deleted or being prosecuted. I can even post a video of me burning the American flag.

Now go say something critical of Xi Jinping or the CCP.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Yes.
    People are denied democracy.
    People are denied free speech.
    People are being abducted by the CCP off the street and sent of to gulags in the mainland if they are political activists.
    People are being under stasi like surveillance with face recognition cameras so the CCP knows everywhere they go.

The fact that you put " in attrocities shows the quality of a human you really are.
    Anti Democracy and Anti free speech.

fchowd0311 and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  3. AirPower

AirPower Member

Black athletes tweet all sorts of things, make all sorts of statements.... NOT AT FOOTBALL GAMES.... and you don't hear peep about it... because it's not at the sporting event on company time in the company uniform.

Try as you may to conflate the two, what Morey did and what Kaep did are not one in the same. Morey did not protest during an NBA game on National TV, he made a statement as a private citizen. If he were to protest during NBA events then the NBA would have an argument to do something about it.

Keeping in mind, I support what Kaep did, but I also understand why the NFL took the position that they took considering the fact that what Kaep did was on NFL time, not as a private citizen.

malakas likes this.
  4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

This is a bogus question on so many levels.

ghettocheeze, AirPower and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. Lovemachine2000

I get that, but I bet black athletes care a lot more about their racial identity than progressive vs. regressive leagues. And who are we to say what should matter more to LeBron? When LeBron defends Kap, he's doing so as a fellow black athlete in America first and foremost, not as a "social progressive".

6. fchowd0311

The question is hinging on the notion that NBA athletes make the same income as middle class Americans that post here even without CCP money.

malakas and Batman Jones like this.
  7. fchowd0311

You are still using a disingenuous argument. Lebron could ignore the issues of the CCP entirely and I couldn't give two *****. It is him GOING OUT OF HIS WAY to try to convince Adam Silver to punish Morey because it hurts his wallet.

malakas likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Title should read 'Would you lose 15%annually of your salary for your coworkers statement, btw it doesn't effect him cause he gets paid by Tilman?'

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's hypocritical to allow LeBron to fight against Trump, to voice his progressive views then, when it can hurt the bottom line of other teams, and then to say Morey can't do the same. LeBron can get pissy all he wants because he lost some money, this is the league he cultivated, he has to live with the consequences of doing so.

It's like freedom of speech in this country. Sure, it defends our ability to say crap about Trump, to say things about the police and military, it also protects those who want to make p*rn and sell sex magazines. Freedom of speech protects speech we like and speech we don't like. We live with it, because we would rather have a voice and see things we don't like occasionally, than not have a voice at all.

ghettocheeze, fchowd0311 and malakas like this.
  10. mr2evolution

mr2evolution Member

I think Lebron defined his own dignity with the comments he made, I think people were just surprised he would give up some of it for money. He put himself out there as some champion for social justice here at home which would not affect his bottom line, in fact I think it may have helped it, but all of a sudden when there is another social issue in another country he back pedals. If I were him I would have just not made any comments on the matter. I think people just expected him to keep the same standard, he fights for rights here but if its in China then he disregards, not a good look

11. Lovemachine2000

By removing the term limit from the constitution, Xi Jinping is becoming a dictator and is setting a dangerous precedent.

China has an authoritarian government with practically no democracy.

The 1989 crackdown on the student protesters was terrible tragedy.

Mao committed several grave errors during his lifetime, including the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution.

So do I win a prize? Can I throw a pie in your face or something?

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not a good analogy because a big part of that decision for most depends on how attractive their boss is. :p

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  13. Lovemachine2000

Like Doc said, freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. For anyone who thinks freedom of speech is so absolute in this country, find anyone who's somebody in this country who has publicly commented against Israel's genocidal campaign against Palestinians. It's a nasty world out there, and looking at the world in ethical binaries will just expose everyone as hypocrites.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LeBron is not a bad person, he only cares about his causes and obviously his money .

It was wrong for him to say Morey was uneducated about his tweet.

Who protests stuff for not knowing what they are protesting?
    For example, if people are protesting Animal Cruelty, it's because they know that baby seals are being beaten if you ask them.

LeBron's mind: Morey doesn't know why he's protesting, he's just doing cause he has nothing else to do or is bored

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

example

I eat at popeyes
    and i'll protest high taxes

i'm not going to say that Vegans are 'uneducated' when they are protesting for chickens
    they don't want to see chickens getting chopped up

and if i do tell the vegans that they should wait for a week after to protest

everyone knows i said it so i can buy more chicken sandwiches
    and i only give a damn about my cause, which is eating more popeyes

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Hi, you keep missing the point, and dancing around what I'm saying. The consequences you seek are not part of our progressive league. The NBA has gone to specific ends to put principle over money, a policy spearheaded by one... LeBron James. Either you're too slow, or caught in some kind of while loop here, regardless, I can't keep spelling it out for you. If LeBron didn't want this type of league, then maybe he shouldn't have been so outspoken about his activism and his criticisms of the current Presidency. The NBA obliged because, well, that's our league.

malakas likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

It's more about supporting the Freedom of Speech. I thought Twitter was banned in China anyway, so what's the big deal?

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

VPN exists

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  19. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

That's a part of the "slippery slope" that some have referred to. The argument may be disingenous depending on your perspective. But at some point that question will have to answered. And the Chicago deflections may not work this time. This will always come up in these situations because no one really wants to address it. Whataboutisms in this case wont go away easily.

20. fchowd0311

It's hilariously ironic that CCP bootlickers have to circumvent CCP authoritarianism using illegal means to tell foreign western people they shouldn't criticize CCP for their authoritarianism.

It's a beautiful irony.

REEKO_HTOWN and malakas like this.