1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] MDA plans to use Sefolosha at the 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Oct 15, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

His highest rebounding season was averaging 4.7 rebounds. I'm worried that our pf is weak at rebounding. It really was a strong weakness last season and gave opposing teams so many unnecessary extra possesions.

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok now it makes sense, you don't really good basketball knowledge..

Only Kawhi should be talked as a HOF right now there is no way Lowry or Serge is a HOF.

Maybe Gasol but I dont think so.

Siakim has a lot to prove.

This is just a terrible take.

Name the top 4 teams in the playoffs last year who had an actual PF in your definition?

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We have Westbrook and the team has to gang rebound better.

It's a lot more than we are sacrificing 3 inches at PF.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Westbrook gets rebounds based on design not because of capability. He's going to get out rebounded if he's in the paint fighting for position against bigs.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

My hope.....

1-3 offensive rating
    8-12 defensive rating

Should be good enough for top 3-5 net rating and that’s good enough to win.

I don’t believe our defensive smarts are going to be as good as last season, but I do think our defensive rebounding is going to be a lot better to offset and maybe even make us overall better on defense.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ok, I'm sorry this is complicated for you. All of these guys are better PF options then Sefolosha and frankly most are better than Tucker. But you do you... no need to expound any further.

7. JayZ750

Sigh...

Clearly you have absolutely zero f'ing clue how the basketball hall of fame works... but again, you go ahead and keep being you. You'll learn one day, lol.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Westbrook gets rebounds definitely on ability.

Yes he got some gift rebounds but don't act like he cant get them by himself and he is definitely a better re bounder than Gordon, Paul and Green.

You are just looking foolish now.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So please explain to me the HOF case for Lowry and Serge.

Since I don't have a f'ing clue.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Most are not better PF options on this team than Tucker and most don't even play PF.

Jarron Jackson jr averaged 4.7 rebounds last year and is a terrible defender, he will also end up playing mostly as a stretch 5 in his career.

You don't have a clue.

manlisten likes this.
  11. JayZ750

Kyle Lowry has a 65% chance of making the HOF per basketball reference.

Serge... well, he's not likely to make it, got me there. If he ever gets any kind of meaningful international (olympics, world cup) experience it might help his case. Otherwise he'd have to give another 8 solid years a couple rings, yada, yada... and even then. So he shouldn't have been included. you win on that one!

But then I forgot about FVF and Jeremy Lin. 1,000% likely HOF guys!!!!!
    jk

12. bmd

bmd Member

Like who?

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. JayZ750

He played 70% of his time at PF last year. He's going to be a really solid defender. He's basically the same rebounder as PJ/Thabo. DM and pretty much everyone on this board except I guess you would trade either or both of those guys for JJJ.

Which guys on the list would you not trade PJ Tucker for straight up? Much less Thabo.

14. JayZ750

Like everyone I already listed?
    Compare those guys to Thabo.

Yes, I get it, they're not ALL 6'10. They're all at least as "big" as Thabo and do everything basically as well as him.

15. rockets13champs

Kid is only like 5-7

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

positionless and interchangeable. he'll spend plenty of time at the "3" also. this isn't a surprise

17. bmd

bmd Member

The point is, defense is not purely 1 on 1. If the NBA had the old illegal defense rules, then it would make much more sense to match-up accordingly. But in today's NBA, defense is truly a team effort.

Therefore, you want versatile guys who can guard multiple positions. Can Thabo defend a 6'10" PF as well as another good defender who is a 6'10" PF? No, but that's beside the point. The point is that he can defend them well enough while also being able to switch onto other players of different sizes and guard them effectively.

You also have to take into account that PF's don't play back to the basket like they used to years ago. So a guy like Sefolosha can be much more capable defending a big PF in today's game than in the past where he would just get bullied on the block.

The advantages out-weigh the disadvantages.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He is 6'11 and rebounds about the same as the guys you are b****ing about.

Really?

And no is he not a solid defender especially for what we need a PF to do.

So you are operating under the fantasy that we could trade for any of those guys straight up.

19. JayZ750

I suspect many are overrating Thabo's defense. Is that the best part of his game? Probably. But this is a guy that played 88 games the last two years. 12 games last year at just 12 mpg. For a team that really valued defense.

And indeed, I don't expect him to play a ton this year anyway. Which is part of my point... even for a team that needs as much defense as possible, I'd much rather a backup PF that was an exceptional rebounder but not that great defensively relative to how good Thabo might be. It's backup minutes, it's an area of even bigger concern, etc.

This team has almost zero lineup versatility. It's small, and its guards and centers. There's a reason why they were 29th in defensive rebounding last year, and as much as it'd be great if Russ changed that, I don't see that being the case.

20. JayZ750

I'm not sure which words in my posts confused you. Was it the part where i said that indeed not all of the guys excel in every area - as that's a crazy expectation, not even Harden excels in every area??

I listed a bunch of PFs that are, effectively, better than our PFs. That I would trade for straight up if given the opportunity (maybe Covington is the one exception there, though of course Covington over Thabo every day).

The point was not that you could trade straight up for them. The point was simple - our PF rotation is our weakest spot bar none, and having Thabo be the backup PF only strengthens that conclusion, and that I'd much much much rather have found a "legit" Thabo-like PF, instead of a Thabo - an actual SF that because we just can't find anyone else.