1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fourth Democratic Debate OCT2019

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DreamShook, Oct 15, 2019.

1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Been in and out on this, seems like Warren is getting massive time.

Enjoyed Tulsi ripping CNN

Biden is out of sorts, Beto is a complete joke.

The Midwestern woman seems to be having a decent night

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Winners: Klobuchar, Mayor Pete, Bernie

Losers but will clearly survive: Warren

Losers and wasting our time: Beto, Gabbard, Steyer

Didn’t take any hits and still in it: Biden

No impact: Yang, Harris, Booker, Castro

3. jcf

jcf Member

I'm a little time delayed in watching this, but the segment where Biden said he might offend others on the stage but that he was the only candidate who had done big things was really good. Biden, Bernie and Warren all argued against each other and then Mayor Pete came in to try to say this was the problem with the old discussion.

My take: the four of them all appear to be really decent people even when they are trying to score points. (I would extend that to most of the people on the stage -- I don't get that vibe from Castro.)

It is a shame that only a relatively few people are watching (watched?) this because it is a very nice reminder of how people used to engage with each other civilly even in disagreement.

joshuaao, Deckard, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Lol this post debate show is insane lol

I never watch cable news , got damn they know how to hype up the horse race lol

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

AOC, Ilhan, and Rashida endorses Bernie Sanders. wow. What's the cut off for Vice President?

#25 DreamShook, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It’s pretty clear CNN picked klobuchar to win before the debate even started

They fed her tons of questions , had the “postgame show” declare she and the moderates did well , and now they have her on as the first candidate guest .

This is why no one trusts the media anymore

7. baller4life315

LOL oh ok

Yeah, they risked a rare moment where Democratic voters actually pay attention to try to tip the scales for someone that’s polling at 1-2% nationally.

Go to bed.

joshuaao, justtxyank and Nook like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

All the moderates are on their last legs. CNN desperately wants a moderate to win. Warren and Bernie are running 1 and 2 nationally now. You got Hilary out here threatening to enter the race.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. Zergling

Zergling Member

I think it's pretty clear from how much Warren was targeted that she's now considered the front runner.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Tulsi was out there frothing at the mouth trying to attack Warren and screwed up her own answers. Klobachar and Pete were on one attacking Warrne trying to lift themselves out of obscurity.

RayRay10 and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

This ..... doesn’t really help him... not sure anyone really wants that support at least publicly.

Invisible Fan and King1 like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Oh I’m not saying they picked her to win to WIN. But to say that she won the debate tonight

All the post debate coverage has been letting moderates have a voice and propping up klobuchar and now Butti as the leaders of that movement

It’s all to create interest and further the horse race in my opinion

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This absolutely helps him. Everyone, for some reason, can't make the distinction between Bernie and Warren. If Warren got this endorsement, everyone would be going nuts. Come on, man.

jcf likes this.
  14. baller4life315

Call it like it is: Klobuchar and Mayor Pete had great nights. As did Bernie. It’s not surprising the post debate coverage is reflecting that.

The moderates made compelling arguments against Warren, while Bernie made you forget about the rough week or so he’s had. He looked sharp as ever.

You might be letting your personal stances/preferences frame the way you’re perceiving this. To suggest a network is going to slant this thing for a candidate currently polling at 1-2% is silly.

15. Major

Major Member

joshuaao, ThatBoyNick and Nook like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh I honestly don’t think everyone would be going nuts if Warren got her endorsement. AOC isn’t someone that will make much difference IMO. She is left of Sanders (hard to do) and most people that care enough to let AOC influence their vote were going to support Sanders anyway.

In the general election having AOC is a negative.

17. jcf

jcf Member

Amy and Pete both did really well in the CNN post-debate coverage. I thought Pete knocked it out of the park.

Deckard likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think debate night hot takes are kind of silly. It’s not really a horse raise that is won or lost on one response on something like guns, or healthcare that has been debated to death.

The truth is campaigns are won based on pop culture, or a stream of consciousness “feeling” that people get when they think of that personality. Obama didn’t win because he had the best healthcare insurance bill... he won because he became a cultural phenomenon and he drew people in both with who he was and how interesting he was, and the way he provided powerful speeches that legit moved people to think bigger about our country as a community instead of just a game of win or lose.

Trump inspired people but it was for all the wrong reasons. He didn’t win any debates by a long shot. He’s the worst president of all time when it comes to actually governing and certainly on policy.

So when you look at tonight’s debate and take a long step back who really moves the needle in terms of charisma and intrigue that is needed to really capture the attention of Americans who only only grasp onto a candidate for those stream of consciousness moments that stick?? I dunno....

Kamala just has all the elements to be that candidate but for whatever reason she just cannot catch on. She’s pulled some stunts like tonight that make it seem as though her campaign realizes she’s a long shot.

Beto was that guy running for the Senate but his loss I think really impacted that mojo. I think people are still kinda let down by that and it feels like he’s grasping to repeat that moment.

Not sure who out of that group can really capture that buzz. Maybe Mayor Pete.... Can the three frankly.... old candidates really culturally capture the attention of ADD America??... hate to sound ageist but that’s my biggest concern in a nutshell.

The debate hot takes are meaningless... you are better off getting on Ellen or sitting front row during the World Series with a Astros hat on. Those moments make a much bigger difference in your ability to capture the attention needed.

Invisible Fan and Major like this.
  19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Buttigieg and Klobuchar had the best night, easily. If this energetic version of Amy Klobuchar had showed up in the earlier debates, then she might be polling slightly better. (But still not well enough to really matter, though.) These debates don't really matter that much when it comes to learning about candidates or influencing the average Joe's vote. They are moreso designed to entertain an audience and drive TV ratings.

Steyer came across as kind of creepy to me. Hopefully this is the last time we see his face.

I'm glad that Tulsi called out CNN and the NYT to their faces. The smears against her are ridiculous. With that said...her overall debate performance was mediocre. And her attempts to ask Warren questions came off as really awkward. I like Tulsi, but it may be time for her to start focusing on holding her congressional seat. She does have a primary challenger and I think he'll get a lot of support nationally. There are a lot of people that badly want her completely out of politics.

Castro and Booker had good answers on the "mandatory buy-backs" topic. There are plenty of Black and brown people in this country that own guns. I suspect most of them would be very uncomfortable with police going door-to-door.

Yang is an engaging and very bright person with some interesting ideas, but I'm increasingly getting the feeling that he's just not the right kind of person we need to be President (or VP) at this time. He still hasn't shaken the vibe that he's a non-serious, two-issue (UBI and automation) candidate. Perhaps a Cabinet position would be a better fit for him, or maybe shoot for mayor of a decent-size city or governor of a state first and then pilot-test his ideas there.

Biden...well, the concerns about his "fitness for the job" aren't going to go away after tonight.

I was disappointed (but not surprised) that there wasn't a topic on China and Hong Kong.

#39 Cold Hard, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Rashmon likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

I didn't watch the debate, but from everything I've read online, if there's any impact, it seems like it will be to further jumble the race.

Sanders seemed to have a good night, which works in Biden's favor if Sanders can claw back some of the Warren vote in the progressive lane.

But at the same time, Pete and Klobuchar seemed to have good nights, which may test the strength of Biden's support in the moderate lane and could really help Warren.

I still think this ultimately comes down to one progressive vs one moderate (likely Warren vs Biden), but this may have extended the timeframe until we get to that point.