1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron: Morey wasn't educated on issue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Miracle

Miracle Member

Several people on the forum considered the apology appropriate and sincere. While there was a PR element in the reply, what he said was also the truth. He absolutely had little to no idea about the Chinese perspective on the situation in HK, otherwise the tweet would not be deleted so quickly once it drew attention of Chinese on Twitter. Lebron had been in China for a week and it is definitely possible that he knew more about those differences than Morey did when the tweet was sent. To me "educated" means an understanding of different perspectives on an event rather than taking for granted one perspective that sounds right.

#401 Miracle, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    dlite316 likes this.
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

James is a dufus, no surprise. Bottomline, there are millions of people (mostly Muslims and Christians) in Chinese prisons, one near a basketball practice facility. Liberty is a basic human right; that is what the Hong Kong protests are about, freedom. That matters, it is life and death. Basketball is a sport, a leisure activity, by comparison to liberty issues it is meaningless.

clutchdabear and malakas like this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

The most influential player in the league you play for is basically saying what's happening in China is fine, with the primary motivation being money. Enes is close enough to the situation - one that mirrors his own - to comment on it.

Seems kinda random to bash Kanter for anything, atm.

clutchdabear, BigShasta and malakas like this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

WOW I didn't know that Lebron int that one week in China made a tour to concentration camps and visited with the HK protesters! What a true SJW..So educated!

clutchdabear likes this.
  5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

You'd have to be naive to think that "apology' wasn't anything more than disaster control/PR right after Tillman came out with what he did. If any logical human is standing for something and retweeting something, he knows the stance he's taking on it. Did he take everything into account as far as what financial implications it might have? Probably not. Did he have everyone's perspective on it? Nope. Does it make him wrong for having a stance on it because he didn't? Not at all. LeBron still doesn't have a grasp on any of this -- him spending a week in China doesn't do anything, it especially does NOT validate that he has any grasp on the situation. He has admitted as such himself.

clutchdabear and malakas like this.
  6. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

7. malakas

malakas Member

Erdogan is different than the CCP but human rights are the same everywhere.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

They brought it up on SC just like 30 minutes ago. They were doing their best to smooth things over for LeBron.

malakas likes this.
  9. liveguy

liveguy Member

'BRON IS A STRAIGHT UP COWARD!

10. mightybosstone

Huh? Since when does me agreeing with part of Lebron's statement make me a "Lebronstan" and mean I'm a "nephew" and "can't think for myself?" That's totally absurd. Believe it or not, despite popular belief in this era of partisan opinion and social media feuds, you can disagree with something that a person says and agree with something else they say.

I can agree with Morey's take on Hong Kong and his right to tweet about it while also thinking maybe he should have thought about the repercussions of it a little bit, just like I can disagree with Lebron's overall take on the situation while still agreeing with his statement that Morey wasn't totally thinking through how the tweet would impact the league and its players.

See, between the black and white on every issue where most people seem to live these days, there's this gray area where we can be in the middle and don't have to hate or love every single thing that a person says or does.

jcf, clutchdabear and BaselineFade like this.
  11. Victorious

Victorious Member

Lebron: "you f✓¢€ing up my money man!"

[​IMG]

12. liveguy

liveguy Member

I wish the reporter would have asked Lebron to elaborate....

"Mis-informed about what?"

"And also, do you have any things you would like to bring clarity to for Morey to make him more informed?"

13. JazzLakerHater

LeCommunist

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Give me an effing break man. Morey is a highly educated individual with degrees from Northwestern and MIT. LeBron, on the other hand, is a superstar athlete who didn't attend college and likely can't even remember the last time someone said no to him. Seriously, between those two, whom do you truly think keeps up with foreign affairs?

Also, to your point, what 'Perspectives' are you talking about? Do you even understand the issue at point here?

Do you understand that people in China are sent to prison (at the very least) just for expressing disagreement with the government. Do you understand that people in Hong Kong are protesting against legislation that would allow the Chinese government to extradite citizens in Hong Kong who do the same thing? How would you like it if you were sent to jail for criticizing the president of the US? As an American (I'm assuming you are an American), how would you like it if you were sent to prison in Mexico, or Canada, or China for criticizing their government or its policies?

LeBron, who has considerable financial interests in China, is the one saying Morey is 'not educated' on the issue is absolutely laughable. I'm not saying LeBron is a bad person. However, it does kind of put into question his motivations for speaking out on domestic issues. At the very least, one can wonder if he would speak out against Trump or police brutality, if he stood to lose money, for doing so.

#414 Elephant810, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  15. macan

macan Member

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LeBron has a weird idea about education.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Reporter: What do you think of Morey's tweet and LeBron's comment?
    NBA personnel: I am too uneducated to comment on this.

heypartner likes this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Espn reporter Dave McMenamin appears to be in Lebrons camp. Possibly on the payroll. Doing his best to make LeBron “right” on this issue.

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. Miracle

Miracle Member

I was merely saying that he knew more about how different people perceive the topic differently (e.g. from Silver and his business partners), not what really happened there. Had Morey known those, there was no way he sent that tweet in the first place. It was possible that Morey talked to some HKers that supported the protest. But then if he asked any Chinese he had contacted with on the topic, he would immediately know the consequences of the tweet. He was "uneducated" in that sense.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member