1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Chiefs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

You do realize that the Texans could have won yesterday and end up missing the playoffs, right? Jags beat the Patriots last season and missed the playoffs.

Nope not downplaying it. I'm putting it where it should be. It's a big win. Huge to see the coach and the QB pull a win like this yesterday. I hope they can build on it and go further in the playoffs. And if it is the reason they are able to secure a 1st round bye in the playoffs then it is even bigger. But as of right now, it's a big conference win (Texans are undefeated in the AFC) which counts less than a big division win.

You're talking about you want a championship and then get on me about not hyping and celebrating a week 6 regular season win as much as you'd like. How?

Blatz likes this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure if injuries derailed the Jags last year (vague memory recalls Bortles falling off a cliff), but the Jags made the CF the prior season. I'd gladly take ONE terrible season and a CF than TWO worst playoff team seasons.

As for my hyping comment, you see how you now called it "a big win" and didn't brush it off as "a win" like you did previously. I think you understand my exact point.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

All I did was say the Indy win was bigger. I never said it wasn't a big win.

4. Houstunna

Supporting Member

If "big" was added to this post, I wouldn't have said it was downplayed.
    We're still homies though :)

Blatz likes this.
  5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Great win!!

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

One thing I am curious about is a couple times Mahomes was able to draw us offsides for a free play. But then when the Chiefs went early they called neutral zone infraction? Not sure what the difference there is but they blew the play dead for us while they let KC have two free plays (one led to a TD)

I think the NFL needs to get rid of those free plays. It’s way too much of a reward for what should be a 5 yd penalty. As a defender if you jump offside you should just continue the play and force the play to be dead.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Also consider the fact that the Texans may have a one year window to win the super bowl considering their draft and salary cap situation moving forward

Houstunna likes this.
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

One year window?

With Watson and a decent defense it will be open in to his late 30’s if he stays healthy.

Two Sandwiches and Blatz like this.
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If you cause the OL to jump, then it's a neutral zone infraction and the play is blown dead.

10. Mr. Clutch

Will the defense be decent?

Free agents: reader, mercilus, both corner backs. Cole as well (restricted)

Next year Cunningham will be too.

Watt is 30. Can't rely on him forever

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

#1191 Houstunna, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But they do have the chance to get back on-side.

Most QB's aren't smart enough to go for the HR ball on a possible free play... Rodgers is the best at it.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

We've got plenty of cap to pay whomever we seem necessary.

We should have enough cap to spend big on a free agent or two, or acquire cheaper depth to offset the lack of draft picks.

The future isn't as bleak as people seem to think it may be, so long as we can develop talent in house.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

When the Texans were relatively quiet during free agency, all we heard was "build through the draft" or "good teams don't win free agency", etc. Now we all of a sudden expect them to be big players the next two years.

My suspicion is most of that money will go to resigning players Fuller, Reader, and Mercilus. They will need to get creative to get adequate depth.

15. Mr. Clutch

Watson and Tunsil alone will be $50 million per year. Reader is now playing himself into a big contract as well

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You don’t understand how contracts work, do you?

Watson and Tunsil will not be $50 million in cap because of the way contracts are structured. There will be alot of structuring to lower the cap figures.

Also, Texans may wait a year for the new CBA. QB salaries may be separated from the CAP.

17. Mr. Clutch

The top QBs, like Wilson and Rodgers, have cap hits over $30 million annually.

Do Seattle and green bay not know how contracts work?

gucci888 likes this.
  18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Russell Wilson and Duane Brown will have a combined $44M cap hit next season. Hell Goff and Tyler Higbee will have a $45M cap hit. With the contracts the league has been handing out, especially to QBs alone, it could be $50M easily.

Nimo and Mr. Clutch like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Also if the guy is so offsides that he'd get a free shot at the QB if the play continued, they blow it dead. "Unabated to the QB". That happened in the Chiefs game, probably the play he's referring to.

gucci888 likes this.
  20. Texanstradamus