1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe, Just Maybe, Bill O’Brien knows what he is doing.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr.Scarface, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

O’Brien has his flaws, but he can coach. He’s stubborn and absolutely terrible at clock management, but that offensive line is looking GOOD right now. Credit where credit is due. He’s made some good moves. I thought this would be a below average team at the start of the season, and they seem to be better than that at the moment. Hope he can keep it up.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nah. Thomas played in the 4th preseason game. He was healthy enough to play against scrubs. His injury did set him back and dropped him in the depth chart because of the time he missed. But he could have played this season. Jerrell Adam's was the 3rd TE. Fells catching the way he is, erased the need for having 3 tight ends on game day. He was supposed to be the blocking tight end but he has been much better That would have been Jordan Thomas fate too. He would have been inactive on game day and possibly eventually released or IRd.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So... this is what we're going to do, huh?....

Enjoy the win; it was awesome. The Texas are 4-0 in the conference & currently have the tiebreaker v. Baltimore and Kansas City. Beat Indianapolis this weekend and you'll have the division under control.

What a great day for the city's sports franchises.

BMoney and Uprising like this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes I am considering whether it's sustainable

Nook likes this.
  5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

and that is valid. remember, we won 11 in a row last year only to get curb-stomped at home against indy. this team NEEDS a strong post season performance.

Nook likes this.
  6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

No you weren’t “considering” lol you are entrenched and unrelenting. A Texans loss is a win for MrClutch and you have 45 thousand posts to prove it

joshuaao and Hey Now! like this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Yes though I was thinking more to next couple years without first round picks and expensive extensions to sign

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They've won 15 out of their last 19 regular season games, and are 15-7 overall since 2017. But, sure - let's talk about the 2020 NFL DRAFT! Anything to not begrudgingly enjoy the current state of the team. Do you have a mock third round we can dissect?...

Uprising likes this.
  9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Give credit where it's due.. BoB has been a plus coach the last 2 weeks.

We could have put up 50 again if it wasn't for the drops

10. Mr. Clutch

We don't have to, but the thread is about whether O'Brien knows what he's doing, and he's the GM. This isn't the KC game thread I'm posting it in.

The Rockets and Astros have been good at salary cap/draft management to maintain sustainable contender status through the primes of their best players. With the Texans, not so much. They have to win now.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I guess it wasn't sustainable after all....

His greatest win ever followed up to lose to a division rival.
    Sigh.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So every week, huh? What happened to the end of the season? LOL. Make sure u post negative stuff when the win.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Lol go find negative stuff that i post when we beat the chiefs. Stop making sht up, i'm not like u who only post positive bs even after a disgusting loss. when we lose i criticize, when we win I praise.

Why should i wait until the end of the season when u post all these positive BS supporting a sht coach especially after a stupid loss.

red5rocket and Mr. Clutch like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Well... that was not what I wanted to see... but predictable based on history.

Somewhat sad that we lost to them after their franchise QB retires and their #2 comes in and performs. I believe he only had 4 touchdowns so .:.: it’s maddening being a Texans fan.

red5rocket likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

It's a mediocre team with no first round pick for two years and some very expensive impending free agents.

Is this how the Astros and rockets built contenders?

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Eh?
    I think Astros built well, but honestly Rockets are glued together by a guy name Harden. U add him to any team basically instant contenders.

17. Mr. Clutch

They got harden by smart asset management. Accumulated picks to trade for him.. They still refuse to pay for anyone who isn't a star. They have maintained as much flexibility as possible outside of their big names.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

There are 2 expensive FAs and they have $90+ million in cap room. They will be fine.

Astros tanked for 4 years to get HIGH draft picks, traded away every decent player for other prospects...then signed Morton at $14 million (first WS) and Brantley at $17 million a year. And traded for VERY EXPENSIVE Pitchers. Almost no team in any sport can build like that again.

Rockets traded for Harden, drafted Capela and filled with Role players by trade and FA.

You really don't know what you are talking about.

Texans have built thru the draft....with very few FAs and trade until this year. They will add more FAs next year.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They got Harden because OKC was CHEAP. $4 million dollars would have kept Harden in OKC. They traded 2 mid-first round picks for Harden plus Martin. Wasn't that hard...to do the trades Morey did to get him. People still say the Clipper trade to Paul was too much.