1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Oh, they're dead.

Yankees had 2 balls that go out in July that died on the RF warning track.
    Astros had one (Correa's hit to deep CF).

The actual HR's were all no-doubters that go out any time of year, in any ballpark, regardless of conditions.

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Winning games against GREAT teams in the postseason with the bats being this bad is a testament to how good the Astros are.

Bullpen was amazing last night, shoutout to them. Osuna, Smith, James, Harris all with huge outings.

3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I like the deadballs better, just have to treat your at bat like a real ballplayer

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

With the wind though, I can see most the right handed bats trying to go opposite field.

5. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

When you know how the game is gonna go, and you find a youtube of the livestream from game 2... of Yankees fans:

Looking forward to the 6th inning Correa play. The makeup call and of course the game winner.

This should be fun....

K mf G, Uprising and BigShasta like this.
  6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Sure, tactical hits can use the wind

7. Buck Turgidson

It's absolutely noticeable.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Man hit by ball (according to his wife):
    Skull fracture but in good spirits
    He said he shouldn't have taken his eye off the ball
    Small skull fracture & small bleed on his brain; Docs are not concerned
    Couple of CT scans; Testing vision in left eye
    "[Brantley] I don't think he has anything to apologize for. It was one of those freak accidents & my husband recognizes that. He needs to focus on the series & when they're done with the World Series and have that cup, then we'll talk."
    Expects to leave hospital in the next 2-3 days

9. Buck Turgidson

And our LHB are better than theirs.

everyday eddie, Houstunna and Nook like this.
  10. AirPower

AirPower Member

Well, I missed the first two pitches, didn't even realize it was an 0-2 count, thought it was a first pitch liner and hook from Hinch.

Was the first strike a FB or a breaking pitch?

I did see the one that was crushed, it definitely hung middle inside. Was that the same thing that happened in GM1? Hanging breaking pitches?

We really could use a consistent healthy Pressly.

11. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

12. Nook

Nook Member

This.

There is a reason that for well over 100 years teams have not gone to their pen 6-10 times a game except in an emergency or every once in awhile. either team can win this series, but it is very likely true that the team that wins this series gets more than 3-4 innings from their starters at least a few times. The Yankees also have a very good bullpen but it is essentially 5 deep except a few poor starters that can go longer but we likely hit hard.

13. SuraGotMadHops

This was super fun to watch. The makeup call sequence is great - after the Sanchez botched whiff, they knew they got lucky with the bs call..."We've been f***ed all year by the umpires, it's somebody else's turn..." 30 seconds later..

[​IMG]

BigShasta and Uprising like this.
  14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I keep saying that I know little baseball, but I like Astros as a team because this team has the players who are the winners. Last night, one poster in this thread said Astros can be swept by NY after 1-2 down, he kept saying that the players did not have efforts, which is a very annoying poster. I know NY will not sweep Astros no matter what.

Go Astros, they are the winners before, hope they are going to win the game 3 first, then starts over from there. The series are going to be 7 or 6, not 4, not 5.

Nook likes this.
  15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Particularly irritating for a stadium in the biggest city in the country that I'm still tempted to call new.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

This is the bottom of the 6th sequence... OMG they are so hyped for the hit... LOL...

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

It’s funny to me when I hear all of the people complaining about the offense. I have a friend that drives me absolutely crazy with his negativity about the team.

People need to realize that this is the playoffs and winning is not easy. These guys are going up against the best talent in the world every game.

It’s possible that the team has a breakout game and and scores 10 runs, but it’s not likely.

Just hope for solid pitching and a guy or two to step up on offense and that leads to wins. Yes we all want the team to perform from top to bottom, it just doesn’t work out like that in the postseason consistently.

I mean there is a reason that this team has won one World Series in its entire existence. It’s freaking hard.

18. Nook

Nook Member

This is what I am thinking as well.

The Yankees will try REALLY hard to get game 4 in to avoid that scenario but it may happen.

The Yankees would at that point really need at least two of their starters to go 6 innings or more, or would need someone like Happ or Sabathia come in and pitch well for 3-4 innings. Tanaka has the possibility of going 6-7 innings if he is on. Paxton only averaged 5 innings a start this season and has only gone more than 6.2 innings two times all year. Tanaka has gone 7 or more in about 20% of his starts this season. Severino isn't going more than 4-5 innings as he said as much his last start. Domingo German is suspended.

Basically the Yankees may need Happ or Sabathia to surprise, both have a FIP of around 5....... to step up or they need their offense to ring the Astros bell several times.

everyday eddie likes this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I would think you could quantify it, like seeing how a hit with equivalent exit velocity/launch angle no longer travels as far

I might try that. Anyone know where to get all of that data?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It took Astros 7 games to beat Dodgers. Astros won that series because they scored 9 runs on Darvish, Marwin, and Dodgers coach stupidly put Morrow in when he didn't have adequate rest among other things. Bullpen was sustainable if Roberts didn't put Morrow in a bad situation. That was more a coaching fail than a bullpen fail.

The Astros are a freak team, and yes if a team can assemble a team like the Astros, they should do it. Though, it is very difficult to assemble a team like the Astros. The Astros are a historic team, that has been brought to elimination games 3 times by bullpen heavy teams and are tied 1-1 with a 4th.