1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China backs down under fear of american retributions and Olympics boycott

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by malakas, Oct 11, 2019.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Or...build it ourselves. Like we used to.

Here is what is going to be REALLY interesting. As China continues to modernize and industrialize, they both become more subject to the global economy, while simultaneously losing their cost advantage.

What is China going to do when they don't make 'cheap' things any more? The forgotten part of globalization is that it will eventually stabilize wages...globally. There won't be any 'cheap' countries any more. And the ones that took the most advantage of that (China) will both be the ones who lose that advantage first (as they industrialize to meet demand, their wages will go up), and also the ones who will be most impacted by that.

Even now...what does China do that probably couldn't be done in...Bangladesh, for example, cheaper?

This is already happening, btw.

What then also happens is China starts importing more, to meet the demands of its now more affluent populace. Just like what happened here.

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Just as they were told to think. :)

3. Nook

Nook Member

That is because the CCP government does either directly or indirectly control everything in China.

The CCP control all the media outlets in China.

The CCP restricts and censures media outside of China.

The CCP rewrites history in the books and curriculum in schools, which they control.

The CCP controls what and where their citizens go, including putting millions in concentration camps.

The CCP has been a political monopoly for almost 100 years in China.

President Xi has iron control over the Opaque party and the the most powerful ruler said Mao, and has no term limits.

The CCP actually has installed cameras and software so that they can tell who anyone is walking down the street. In some parts of China they check your credentials before you going into any public building.

Look no farther than Document #9 released by the CCP to their upper members that in part states:

"In the spring of 2013, a memo named Document No. 9 that was distributed within the CCP outlined seven threats to the party’s control, including “Western constitutional democracy,” human rights, pro-market “neoliberalism,” and Western-inspired ideas of media independence and civic participation. To counter these, the CCP has sought to further embed itself across layers of Chinese society and the economy. President Xi has done so by silencing dissent; restricting religious groups, media organizations, human rights activists, and lawyers; detaining more than a million Muslims in the northwestern region of Xinjiang; and staking a much harder line against corruption. "
    https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/chinese-communist-party

4. Aware

Aware Member

USA USA USA!

5. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

It's just fascinating that they regard a tweet from one individual as a statement from the whole NBA. I guess that says something about the value we put on the individual versus the value they do.

kubli9 likes this.
  6. Miracle

Miracle Member

Firstly, many Chinese people may not be satisfied with the apologies. Backing down at that point or lifting the ban on NBA very soon could seriously hurt the government's image among Chinese people, especially among the people that do not care about basketball. People could regard it as being 'soft'.

Secondly, if other international businesses follow suit and just emphasize free expression or something like "we cannot regulate our employees' comment" in their apologies, then it could lead to bigger troubles in the future. A precedence where there are no serious consequences of such comments / talks cannot be set.

I do not expect the ban will be lifted within a month, but that's just my personal opinion.

They are definitely unhappy but many people also understand that politics is more important during this sensitive time period (the HK protests are still going on). Meanwhile, their businesses already take a big hit. Even if the ban is lifted, the viewership is going to drop and brands that sponsor NBA could have PR issues for quite some time. So I am not sure how much loss could be recouped after a soon-lifted ban.

Many US businesses have already been aware of this issue and have their own resolutions. I am actually very surprised that someone as smart as and as close to China as Morey would be so ignorant about it. Blizzard has issued rules to ban any player that tries to publicly talk about politics during the officially organized games (I am not sure whether the online activities in social media are regulated though). I had read one article saying that there was one guy that got ejected and banned for his behavior explicitly supporting HK during the games.

#86 Miracle, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This entire episode has made me feel crappy, because although I think Hong Kong should be free and all of China should be free, I've cringed like a coward at the Rockets facing the brunt of the backlash. It turns out that when it comes to sports, I just want my team to prosper and win. So that's a disheartening thing I've learned about myself.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You keep saying this as if the American's public opinion about an American product is irrelevant. It's not. The US Congress has already stepped in here and they did so making a bi-partisan statement, which is a huge deal because you can't get the two sides to agree on anything here. The thing here is that if China keeps pushing then they give the NBA no choice but to speak out about it. Right now, as in right now, they have what they want.

Kerr is scared to touch it, Lebron has said nothing, NBA won't let reporters ask questions about it, the NBA has received the message, what more can China get but its silence? Its unrealistic to ask an American company to basically spit on the very first amendment of the US constitution, which is what we're expecting here? It seems that's what they expect, which is way overstepping their boundaries, they can rule over their own citizens, not US citizens.

I expect the ban to be lifted because they said it was temporary, they wanted to send a message, I think the NBA understood their message and are behaving as if they understood the message, so they will try to move forward as best they can. Will there be some fallout? Sure.

It's not just that the guy was banned, it was that they took his winnings away from him and are trying to act like he doesn't exist.

Again, China can dictate and rule over their own citizens but these things will continue to happen when they try to dictate what citizens of other countries can say or do. For them to try and bully the NBA to punish Morey is way overstepping their boundaries here.

The more the truths come out about China's human rights abuses the more it will not exactly be good business to submit to China and do whatever they want. Yes, US Businesses have been aware about it but the difference now is that the US citizens are starting to find out that not even their businesses cater to them any more and that is going to draw backlash and rightfully so.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's impossible to build things like iphones in the US. We can't mobilize hundreds of thousands of workers in a few months like China does.

10. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I feel the same on this. Enough to where it's jeopardized my fandom, I just have a hard time not feeling hypocritical trying to enjoy/root for the team and game I love while ignoring all the other stuff going on behind it. In one way I'm glad for it, because it's forced me to evaluate my priorities and beliefs. I just have to reset my expectations for myself when it comes to being a fan knowing capitalism both helps it to grow and pollutes it as well.

kubli9 and malakas like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mentioned land
    And that’s really important
    All the rich people from China
    Guess where they live ?

12. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Same. I was happy being blissfully ignorant holding onto these fuzzy memories of Yao Ming making bridges with China. Looking back, I realize we sold ourselves out and turned a blind eye to it because we liked seeing a 7'6" guy dunk the ball. :(

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

After a long talk, silver and china both realized as dictators they have a lot in common. Just ban the rockets and any player speaking about it.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Actually, we do...but...how prominent is China in the Winter Olympics? Figure skating?

15. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Clearly part of the trade negotiations.

16. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Trump agreed to a partial trade deal with China. China will back off the nba now. However, the nba could possibly be used again as a trade chip for future negotiations. I personally hope this trade war ends soon. With the risk of recession looming, a lot of people including me could get badly hurt. Particularly farmers and agriculture.

Morey if he’s smart should stay silent and let things blow over.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/pol...beijing-pledges-8m-winter-sports-lovers-games

malakas likes this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. Miracle

Miracle Member

My take is that a bi-partisan statement is made because the stance they take has mostly positive political consequences for both sides but very little negative ones if there are any. The NBA itself does not have much influence to the politic. And most US people are siding with the right of free expression. The parties disagree on things that different groups of people in the US would disagree.

They probably do not expect more from the NBA. But they could still keep the ban for a longer time (e.g. half or one full season) to show the consequences to its people and other businesses. The NBA could still remain silent for the prospect of coming back next year. I understand that there is a strong backslash within the US but I do not know how much worse it can get as time goes on and after the media cool down on the topic. My other guess is that the ban won't be lifted until everything is cooled down (including the HK protest) and few people are still talking about it, or an agreement is reached in negotiations with the US government.

Well, from a business standpoint, an organization can choose to stop cooperation with a business partner that shows support to an employee that posted a comment that disagrees with the organization's value, even if that comment is on a foreign social media. If the comment does not have enough influence, nobody is going to care about it.

You are right that the global backslashes from other countries are now becoming a new issue for these companies when they try to align with Chinese core values. So let's see where all these will eventually end up with.

#99 Miracle, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If this is how you look at the Rockets situations, get ready to feel bad about EVERYTHING you use or root for on a daily basis. Thanks to capitalism, pretty much everything is compromised in some way.