1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden & Westbrook being silenced??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UrbanEnterprise, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Same amount of people voice their opinions when US drones mistakenly killed innocent people when they missed ID them.

2. onreego

onreego Member

Ah Gotcha. My bad.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Want to add a little context:

1.) I understand why this issue is so sensitive for many people, but it's important to note that there's ALWAYS censorship to some degree. Not everyone that wants to ask a question gets to ask one at a media availability, otherwise the players and coaches would be up there for hours. Instead, it's 5 to 10 minutes, tops. This happens every game, practice, etc. In this case, there are also reporters who want to ask about the game and other basketball topics. It's really not that uncommon for PR reps to make a certain topic off limits for a certain session, especially if it's been discussed before. In this case, the Rockets and Harden took questions on the subject on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and I suspect they'll address it when they get back to Houston, too. But I do think it's understandable that they want more of the coverage to be about the basketball.

2.) In this situation, it's probably better for a relatively anonymous PR person to take the heat, rather than Westbrook or Harden giving a viral "next question" response. Look at how far the mocking of Kerr's video has gone (all the way to Trump), and it wasn't even his team!

3.) I don't think all of this is about fear of China. For perspective, the Astros had a fairly similar dynamic play out last year, when Astros' PR cut off an LA Times reporter in April 2018 who was asking Yuli Gurriel about the Darvish/eyes incident from the 2017 World Series.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-angels-astros-hernandez-20180423-story.html

The Astros' position was that Gurriel addressed it at the time, and for those that wanted to ask how his offseason went (i.e. his sensitivity training, thoughts on his suspension, etc.), he was made available early in training camp and after the suspension ended to discuss it. The team PR's position was that the storyline can't go on indefinitely, and if it was that important to the reporter/media outlet, there were plenty of other known media availabilities that they could have attended to ask that line of questioning.

There are definitely some parallels to this situation. The Rockets (and especially Harden/Westbrook) took questions each of the last three days in Japan about the issue, and PR is tired of the ongoing storyline and wanting to get coverage of other topics. Moreover, unlike the Yuli situation where he was the person who did the controversial act, Harden and Westbrook were innocent bystanders in this!

I'm not saying I 100% agree with PR in either case, and I certainly think the reporter today had a right to ask the question. However, I also understand exactly where PR is coming from, and it's more complicated than just cowering in fear of China.

FWIW, I expect you'll see a very similar question to that one asked (and answered) once the team gets back to Houston.

gabion, heypartner, TMac'n and 3 others like this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'd prefer they be allowed to comment and similar to your statement be their comment. Reply with "that's a loaded question that I won't answer because I won't allow my own words to be used against me, everyone knows where I stand and how I feel, next question" :D

heypartner and SF3isBack!! like this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It ain't over till you fapped to that photo above :D ^^^

Jontro likes this.
  6. TheSource

TheSource Member

Feel bad for James I can’t remember one time where he has gotten political the dude just wants to hoop now he has to deal with this bs

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I feel like James said his piece. While I didn't like his initial "we love China" thing, since then he's had a message I like. His comments, if they change, then necessitate discussion and the press questions should be answered. As it stands, if this is his position, there's no need to constantly assault him or WB about these types of questions. Now other star athletes, that are quite outspoken, coaches and GMs, they can chime in anytime soon...

malakas likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I await the leak of that memo.

topfive likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It doesn't matter what harden does, he always seems to step right in it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

The question she asked has been asnwered- by actions.
    Actions speak louder than words.
    They obviously feel more reluctant now to speak up about issues.

I understand what you are saying and thanx for explaining the process and the situation however when you say PR is tired what do you mean?
    If they are tired, sorry but they need to go.
    We are in emergency situation now, the team has made national headlines and everyone is having their eyes on them.The Rockets should have the best PR personel available. Hire the best.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You guys do realize as employees they need to tow the company line, if the company asks them not to comment they need to honor that.

DD

Lovemachine2000 and daywalker02 like this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

Our PR needs to hire some PR.
    :rolleyes:

Deckard, Duncan McDonuts and J.R. like this.
  14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I said tired of the ongoing storyline.

hakeem94 and Lovemachine2000 like this.
  15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

More Christina Macfarlane pics.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

If the league was smart, they just made a bunch of phone calls. Still, someone will at some point say, "Yeah, we were told to not give political answers to questions about China."

malakas likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

That PR person gonna be fired. :D

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Costs money.

malakas likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

Yes I got that.
    They aren't allowed to be tired though. What is PR for? When everything is good and noone pays attention?

Am I the one crazy here? Shouldn't this be handled with the outmost care because it's a mega crisis?

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

RasaqBoi likes this.