1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey might resign on his own.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 10, 2019.

1. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

The Texans don’t deserve his greatness!

Thank God this was started by an insider like Cyber

clutchdabear likes this.
  2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

You are late with this opinion. NBA is already back playing ball. Things are on the come up already.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What sort of things?

DD

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Whether he resigns or not, the damage is, (IMHO), not repairable.

What Morey's tweet uncovered is that: (1) NBA players and staff are free to tweet & say what they want, while (2) China cannot stand for that when it comes to certain "third rail" issues. Morey resigning changes neither of those two things. I don't see how the NBA could move forward with an order that all employees avoid any statement on Taiwan, HK, or human rights in China. Impossible.

5. WNBA

WNBA Member

I noticed the same thing. Chinese national media is criticizing the overreaction subtly but I don't think that was because of how Americans are anti-china. Chinese government is (and should be) worrying about the power of their internet mobs are having... their overreacting can reach and dictate the companies and even national organizations so quickly and blindly... Imagine one day, the mobs see something unfair happening in China and act out ..... freedom of speech of Chinese fans is no good. I think the whole thing will be settled soon.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think that poster means that they're going to go ahead and awkwardly limp through the two exhibitions as scheduled pre-tweet. The players are already there, etc. Tsai, etc. But I see no path beyond that, as stated in my last post.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Morey's replacement is in the building right now. Who is his right hand man?

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Morey is protected for a while... Tillman doesn't want to be dragged in front of a Senate Intel Committee

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. DaDakota

If he resigns, there is nothing to answer for......it allows Morey to save face with the Chinese market - and come back a new man later....and the fans who are bothered over there can get their NBA and feel that their love of country has been respected.

Not the way we would do it, but if we are taking global monies, we have to play the global game....the other answer is we walk from 15% of revenue - which is a big ask of NBA teams and owners.

It could also be that China doesn't want to pay for the NBA anymore and will simply steal the games and broadcast them without paying anyway.

DD

thedopefiend likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's $3b for 5yrs. Did they pay that all upfront? I'm trying to track revenue loss, so if we already banked it, then I should probably adjust the numbers.

11. kanariya

kanariya Member

I hope he doesn't. Need to wear a "I STAND WITH MOREY" T-shirt to the game.

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

I considered this, too, @DaDakota. It would have made more sense early on, when only Daryl was online being the "American dissident." Now that other entities (in particular, Silver speaking for the league itself) are on record as saying that his right to speak freely is more important than the Chinese government's right to never be questioned, his resignation might now be enough to mend the fences.

Add in all the politicians on both sides of the aisle angling to use this issue for political gain and I can't imagine this actually happening.

clutchdabear and DaDakota like this.
  13. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Morey isn't going to resign. Not everyone has DD's white liberal guilt.

raining threes and Pistol Pete like this.
  14. Pete the Cheat

gotta spin the issue, Rockets stand for America baby. America's team

raining threes and Mazulis like this.
  15. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

If he feels like resigning, I'd think it's better for him to just take like a "sabbatical" and come back to GM the team after a year or so.

I'm hoping he doesn't resign or take a sabbatical or even leave at all, though

clutchdabear likes this.
  16. DaDakota

I hope he doesn't there is no guilt just common sense, in business, an employee costs you millions in PERSONAL income - you don't keep that employee around.

DD

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  17. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Fair argument to make. The blanket statement that businessmen care only about money over morals/values doesn't always hold, though.

18. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't like this phrasing being repeated, Morey didn't cost his boss money. Stop blaming the irrational actions of the Chinese on him.

clutchdabear and Mazulis like this.
  19. DaDakota

We are talking about Tillman though, right?

DD

20. WNBA

WNBA Member

freedom of speech is a big thing in USA and assume NBA never put a limit on this basic right......my question is:

How many NBA players and their assistants, relatives, team officials and employees, referees, agents or even NBA sponsors have made statements on Taiwan, HK, or human rights in China?

Obviously Morey is the one with one deleted tweet total in a decade........ Is that the only one in the trade war under the most official hatred toward China by Whitehouse........ I wonder why?

If anything, China should reward NBA with bigger $$$.