1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Daryl Morey and the NBA need to apologize to China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by weopeo9744, Oct 8, 2019.

1. TilmanFinancialWindfall

I got an ad for the movie Daryl on the bottom of this thread

Is that movie Daryl good and is it about Morey?

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Here is the link to event 2, details are in Chinese, I am not sure the English wiki will have the same details but even if you do google translate, you probably will get at least 80% of the details.

https://zh.m.wikipedia.org/zh-hans/谭秦东事件

3. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I don't consider Pakistani as Asian in my book. They look more like the Middle Easterners.

4. mingthething

mingthething Member

I'm just correcting your misconception that this isn't about separatism and secession. The Five Demands are the thin end of the wedge. The protesters would love nothing more than to raise the union jack again.
    Abe Lincoln sent in troops when the South tried that same thing.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's China's neighbor. You share a border. And Pakistan IS in Asia. Who cares what someone looks like? They share Asia with you. Asia is bigger than East Asia. No need to be small minded.

6. magichat281

magichat281 Member

This Chinese fk boy. Apologize to china for what? They need come apologize to us. The nba created revenue for china. We open the doors for basketball for china when we agreed to draft YAO. China didnt invent basketball. Now they have all these viewers and nice teams and stadiums they want to kick the nba to curb and take all the profit.They used up the nba like a condom for marketing and promotions. They were waiting for something like this as an excuse so they can cut ties with the NBA. This is business you dont know then you just SOFT like Kobe says. China been waiting for an excuse to cut ties with the nba so they can take all the profit instead splitting with nba.

SunsRocketsfan likes this.
  7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The NBA should never have formed a business partnership with a country that doesn’t come close to aligning with the league’s core values. This “partnership” was going to go up in smoke at some point because the NBA and the Chinese government are not aligned in their ideologies. It was idiotic for either party to not foresee something like this happening.

Daryl Morey shouldn’t have to apologize for having an opinion on social issues. Likewise, Tilman Fertitta and the NBA shouldn’t have to apologize if they cut ties with him in the name of business.

Some things in life aren’t worth the money they provide. A “partnership” with the Chinese government is one of them. Also, the NBA was a successful enterprise before they found the Chinese market. Sure, losing it is a blow financially, but the league will more than survive without it.

Hakeemtheking, Nook, BMoney and 2 others like this.
  8. 9495

9495 Member

That dude didn't speak for me. I love Morey and the Rockets. - A Chinese fan

9. DooghMaster9

DooghMaster9 Member

If yao ming said California should leave the USA or called morey a cracker, id say 'damn, thats stupid' and move on with my day.

Dude is kinda pushing the free expression to the side as if thats not what the big deal is for the chinese govt yet defending the need for the chinese to be of like-mind on this subject.

Thats called opposing free expression, its not a sometimes kind of thing. Demanding solidarity isnt freedom.

#229 DooghMaster9, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  10. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

I heard some chinese rappers on Sway in the morning like 6 months ago explain that.

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

BS.
    Yes, 那个 means "that" and it sounds like "nagga" or "nayga" or "negga."

But some Chinese are claiming that the words "N****" and "that" are somehow interchangeable?
    "A That came into the store today. . . ."
    "I saw my classmate walking with a That."
    Don't think so.

Nook likes this.
  12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Here's the real deal. The Chinese government (and the American government) are A-holes.
    The Chinese people, though, are not the government. The people are a little sensitive, because--just going back the last 100 years--they've been kicked around 1000 times harder than the American people and they just want a little respect and maybe a f'ing break.
    100 years ago, some Chinese were still getting their feet bound. Chinese were treated like serfs. It wasn't their fault.
    75 years ago, the Japanese slaughtered millions of Chinese. The Japanese literally had head-chopping contests, using swords and Chinese, which the Japanese newspapers reported like sports.
    60 years ago, Chinese were starving from stupid economic models during the Great Leap Forward.
    50 years ago, Chinese were also eating grass soup, during the Cultural Revolution.
    Now, the Chinese have to have shi&&y air and internet, facial recognition, social score, blocked NBA, etc.
    The Chinese people are over-sensitive, yes, because they receive (and put up with) an enormous amount of ****.
    My suggestion is to give the people a break and realize that our governments are dicks :)

Hakeemtheking and DaDakota like this.
  14. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

your understanding of China (totally misled by the MEDIA) makes me laugh.. But i still decide to reply you once.

you ask those protesters if they have bruises, and if they are starving to death.......this is totally absurd charge.

Never mind. Ignorance is not guilty.

15. Rochut

Rochut Member

Lol, I didn’t think I would have to spell this out. You claim that the protestors, who are not demanding secession, actually are demanding secession... ok... i’ll Just leave that right there because there isn’t much to be said about that logic.

Now on to this silly “Abe Lincoln” analogy:

To be clear, Daryl Morey is not the Southern states

Let’s say there was a French fisherman who sold his fish to Lincoln’s Northern states, THAT is Daryl Morey.

Now one day this foreign fisherman expressed his personal opinion {in a way that was banned in the Northern states btw} that he supported the Southern states.

In your version, Abe Lincoln then immediately bans ALL fish caught by ANY French fisherman.

Yup... pretty silly when you think it through, although a 5 year old might do that, it’s behaviour that illustrates an immature and insecure way of thinking.

D-rock and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  16. marky :)

marky :) Member

Do you not have a map? It's literally in Asia.

D-rock and malakas like this.
  17. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

I guess you are the same education level of those considered Russia as not part of Asia because they look white.

D-rock likes this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, to answer his question, about what would happen if Yao said California should succeed.

Nothing. Nothing would happen about it. In fact, we have people in America saying California should succeed, we just laugh about it and tell those people why that won't be happening...in China if you say the wrong thing about Government affairs that's against the law.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hmm... somebody's ripping off somebody else here.

Then again, in a county that thinks nothing of ignoring the patents, trademarks, copyrights, and intellectual property rights of other countries, I guess people aren't concerned about that kind of thing.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

A more apt analogy would be, what if Yao said Puerto Rico should be a state.

And if he did, I would say "damn it, he's right. Hawaiʻi is a state, why can't Puerto Rico be one too?" No one would send him death threats, and no one would ban all Chinese basketball players from their state.

D-rock likes this.