1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NLDS & NLCS 2019 Game Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 3, 2019.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Adopted Nats fan here.

Nearly woke my wife up on that grand slam.

I was like... This is DC sports. This isn't supposed to happen. He was supposed to ground out into a triple play so badly that they award the Dodgers a run.

P. S. The only Cardinals fan I know is a total douche so this is gonna be fun.

everyday eddie and weakfromtoday like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dave Roberts getting plenty of heat on reddit. LOL.

If I were the stadium manager, I would order the lights guy shut them all off, than watch another team just celebrate on the field. Do that **** in the locker room.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Astros can hit anyone. The Nationals are good, but shaky for a long time running, and now without their best player. We should handle them easily in the world series at the plate and on the mound.

4. vonbock

vonbock Member

Astros can hit anyone?

JayGoogle likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I told everyone who would listen that Harper leaving would have a Patrick Ewing effect on the team and they would have their best season ever.

raining threes likes this.
  6. vince

vince Member

I must admit I’m shocked the Dodgers got eliminated so soon!

The one series I thought would be more competitive was a sweep, as Yankees rolled over the Twins. The other three I thought would be relatively easy for the favorites, have gone into five game series. With two heavy favorites already knocked out of the post season.

7. SemisolidSnake

Damn it, I'm running out of sacrifices to keep reversing jinxes like this. Guys, let's just take it easy and look at things one game at a time. Or let me go restock at least.

Eric Riley and conquistador#11 like this.
  8. donkeypunch

So are you an Astros fan that adopted the Nats cause you live there or are you just an adopted Nats fan? Either way- Cheers on beating the dodgers.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I was never much of an Astros fan while in Houston, so when I moved to DC, since I wasn't going to stop following the Rockets or Texans, I figured I'd pick at least one local team to follow that wouldn't supplant anyone else. The Nationals seemed like a good fit for that.

rockets13champs and donkeypunch like this.
  10. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. rockets13champs

Clayton KershAw is basically like Giannis in the playoffs

12. donkeypunch

The dude that caught the last out, Michael A Taylor, looks like an Ethiopian marathon runner.

raining threes likes this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

Pedro Martinez is ripping Clayton Kershaw apart like a coyote does a dead kitten.

14. SemisolidSnake

That's a really interesting article that I now have bookmarked. Makes a lot of sense. Would be good for betting.

I don't know if you'd call it irony or coincidence or something else, but that article was written in May 2001 and used the Mariners as an "ongoing" example of the Ewing Theory working. It ends with: "Finally, what would be the greatest triumph for the Ewing Theory? The Mariners somehow winning the 2001 World Series -- nothing would top that one on the Ewing Scale."

I'd be curious to know what Bill Simmons thought AFTER the 2001 Mariners set the all-time MLB wins record and then got bounced in the ALCS. Did it confirm or contradict his Mariners Ewing Theory?

15. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Worst comparison ever.

Giannis is just getting started. Kershaw been choking the past 7 years

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I rarely feel bad for athletes, but at this point I legit feel terrible for Kershaw.

F**k the Dodgers though.

mikol13 likes this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

First LCS since returning to DC

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Kind of a similar story, but I'm both a big Astros fan and a big Nats fan. Grew up watching the Astros in Houston my first 21 years. Been in DC for the 19 years since.

I'm not going to lie. It's a little awkward at times, and I still feel guilty toward the Astros with the dual allegiances, but I moved to DC in 2001 before there was even a team. I was at opening game at RFK and the opening game at Nats park. It's been cool to watch the team and fanbase evolve from the beginning. I definitely don't have anywhere near the same connection with the Redskins or Wizards (though, I've come to root for the wizards in that "bless their little heart" way).

It would be pretty crazy if they both managed to make it to the World Series. I'd be going for the Astros of course, but I'd have to wait and see how serious I'd take it. I definitely would not be watching the games in the same torturous manner I will be watching the Astros game tomorrow. :eek:

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought no DC or Montreal baseball team has won a series before.

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

After Rendon's home run I tried not to get too excited (a fan coping mechanism I learned on January 3, 1993). Casually walked upstairs and told my wife "well at least the Nats are putting up a fight, only down one now." In the 30 seconds it took me to do that and walk back downstairs I saw Soto rounding the bases. Didn't play it as cool after that. :D