1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Defending freedom of speech is important, but you should know what happened then give a speech.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Emanon, Oct 9, 2019.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

They have ways to move people off of that island. Isn't that like Duh. They have armies there and they control the border with SZ. What are these people really upset about that was not there ever since 1997. The encroachment over their liberty over the years and they finally had it? But at least have a better excuse and set the agenda right.

dlite316 and Lovemachine2000 like this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Probably not ...

So your point is all of China and all Chinese are commies and scums not worth you identifying with?

#222 YallMean, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  3. Miracle

Miracle Member

I stumbled upon this post and this video yesterday which seemed to explain the logic of these protesters on the escalated level of violence.

YallMean likes this.
  4. freyzhang

freyzhang Member

great post dude

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Some of the typical wartime soldier syndrome - deep in a battle, it's not about any bigger cause, it's personal. Us against the other side with force.

Don't play with fire unless absolutely necessary. My heart cringed seeing those teenage kids got beat up in the subway (Prince Station?).

Not freaking worth it. For what? Not that nerd Joesph Wong so he can showboat he is so important at different places.

dlite316, Lovemachine2000 and minis9 like this.
  6. Miracle

Miracle Member

Those people deemed themselves as 'fighting for the future of HK' via the demands -- which seemed unlikely to get accepted by the government -- so they escalated the level of violence to raise attention and tried to force the government to talk.

I'm not exactly sure which beatup you referred to. It is probably the Yuen Long attack.

According to some videos and articles that I watched and read, there are deeper social problems left over from the UK colony period that lead to the status today. If you are interested on that topic I could try to expand a little bit.

#226 Miracle, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  7. SunsRocketsfan

Umm all Morey said was he supported freedom what is wrong with that. It's not his fault the communist government is pathetic and insecure.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Thanks,please do share. I also personally experienced some of it in HK.

I will say this though. Most HKers are nice people with good hearts and manners. One of my favorite cities to visit when I am out there in Asia. I would never imagine this shiat would happen there. What a shame!

9. SunsRocketsfan

Horrible post trying to twist the narrative. I dare any of you commies go to Tianmen square and call Xi a POS and see what happens to you. It's a authoritarian suppressed society. It is what it is.

You wouldn't even be able to discuss this topic in China like you can right now on this board. It would be locked up and censored.

10. Miracle

Miracle Member

I edited my previous post a bit since you had a question mark on your referral of the subway event. I am not sure which beatup you exactly referred to, but it is most likely the Yuen Long attack.

Do you understand Chinese? Some of the contents are in Chinese. If you have no problem with Chinese listening I can directly send you the links.

11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

For people who are interested in HK, the 2 videos below explain what happened.

The first one explains the origin of the protest. The second one explains how the protest went violent after the police colluded with thus to beat up protestors and journalists and did not arrest anyone.

kubli9 likes this.
  12. txn

txn Member

Hong Kong police or CCP pretend to be the protestor. The guy cover his face like the other protest got caught, then pull out a police use of flash light

Second clip shows group of police changed their cloth (black) and start to pretend they are the protestor

On the other hand, CCP is crying and calling the protestors terrorists. All the brainwashed Chinese citizens follows.

SMH

kubli9 likes this.
  13. Miracle

Miracle Member

1. What is the purpose of police pretending to be protesters? It is more likely that some of these are undercover operations for controlling / arresting protesters rather than doing damages / provoking conflicts and framing the protesters like you seem to suggest.

2. Even if some level of 'framing' is going on, it cannot be on a large scale. Otherwise the protesters would already point out the things that they have not done on the media. Most of the damage is still done by the protesters and I do not see any problem calling them terrorists at the current level of violence.

14. Miracle

Miracle Member

Here are some key takes from what I read and watched:
    • Many HKers went there during the foundation of PRC as well as the political campaigns afterwards. Some of them did not have a good impression on the Communist Party of China (CPC).
    • For political reasons, the British education system in HK raised people that had completely no national awareness and political awareness.
    • Britain started to democratize HK before the handover (complete modern democracy had been non-existent during the entire 155-year colony period) and left many unresolved problems to the HK and the Chinese governments afterwards. They also offered British citizenships to elites in various fields to maintain their control on HK's local affairs over a weak HK government after the handover.
    • Local politics in HK started only after the handover, but most people still lack understanding of national politics until today
    • Education system in HK has been controlled by anti-China groups, leading to unsuccessful reform attempts by the Chinese government and raising youths that lack appropriate understanding of mainland China. Small-scale polls suggested that over 50% of HKers do not identify themselves as Chinese but only HKers. That number is also a lot higher among the youths. There are few pro-China people in HK that are reputed by the locals and can influence their minds.
    • As a result, there lacks a reputable political elite like Lee Kuan Yew -- the first Prime Minister of Singapore -- that can really lead HK to resolve its local problems as well as maintaining a good relationship with China.

15. txn

txn Member

Lol, compare to what your government have done to Uyghur and Tibetan?

Compare to your leader giving the order to the army to start shooting your people at Tiananmen Square in 1989?

I have huge problem to call protesters in Hong Kong terrorists at the current level of violence.

16. bearrider

bearrider Member

Lovemachine2000 and Icepiano like this.
  17. Miracle

Miracle Member

You have your prerogative to decide what "terrorists" refer to for you. The current situation fits the general characteristics and the US definition of 'international terrorism'. Although the term can technically be used on government actions, the general belief among governments and international organizations is that it is only applicable to the actions of violent non-state actors. Therefore it is an appropriate use of the term here on the action of the protesters.

Also under your logic, how is 911 compared with the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, even if everyone agrees that the former is terrorism?

Other China-related topics are long stories and more complex than you may know of. You could take the moral high ground to criticize the human right violations while ignoring the larger context of these topics / events, just like some other people who only see the latest behavior of protesters without knowing the entire escalation process.

#237 Miracle, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  18. bearrider

bearrider Member

more videos uploaded by normal HK people

And you still call those rioters "peaceful protests"?

19. bearrider

bearrider Member

more videos uploaded by normal HK people

20. bearrider

bearrider Member

Morey supported those HK roiters (to me more like potential terrorists).

You called Morey "hero"

THE Morey "hero" tweeted a message to support HK roiters and deleted it in one hour.

THE Morey "hero" dare not retweet it.

And THE Morey "hero" hid nowhere for 5 days and no media can find him...

Lovemachine2000 and Icepiano like this.