1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros Vs. Rays ALDS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And... how’d he do???

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

My bad. I missed that both those games were away.

Oddly enough it has not happened in 2018 or 2019. There are few near misses, but they end up being 5 full days based on the times of the games. Most of the time, there ends up being on off day giving him 5.5 days off.

Last occurrence in 2017:

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 4.40.48 AM.png

#2182 rpr52121, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. CinematicFusion

Then there is nothing to worry about. If Verlander and Cole can pitch on 3 days rest on certain starts throughout the rest of the playoffs then we don’t have a problem.
    I had always heard of mixed results on 3 days rest.
    I had a concern because he has never done it before.
    The only time was in 2011 on 3 days rest but it was after a rain relay where he only pitched an inning of work so that can’t count.
    The other time he pitched 2.2 inning of relief in 2017 Alds.

4. CinematicFusion

If verlander wins today, he can pitch on normal rest for game two of ALCS.
    That game would be on Sunday 13th.
    This could work.

htwnbandit likes this.
  5. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Dear Astros - it’s time to flip that port-a-potty of a stadium on its head and show these fools what our bats are capable of!

we know who is due, we are the best - now drink the blood of animals, go visit a voodoo priest, Conjur ancient spirits, wear your clothes backwards whatever it is to unleash the fury that is this offense!!!!!! Leeeeeeeeeeetttttsssssssss Gooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Kim, eric.81, Jake Tower and 4 others like this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

2017 - Win ALDS in 4 = Win WS
    2018 - Win ALDS in 3 = No WS
    2019 - Win ALDS in 4 = Win WS ?!??

Thank God we didn’t sweep.

Tfor3, BigM and Jake Tower like this.
  7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Everyone is talking about Verlander on short rest, but the bottom line is the bats need to come out and win this game.

The Rays are forced to throw a bullpen game in the freaking playoffs. Nobody in 2019 has an invincible bullpen. We need to put up at least 6 runs in this game, including at least a couple early to allow JV to relax.

mikol13 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah you did. You are one of the bigger chumps on this board.

Houstunna likes this.
  9. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I agree. I do not want to see Glassnow. I think it was Altuve that said the ball was invisible coming out of Glassnow's hand. So have to wrap today. But our bats have to come out of a coma.

Outfield in three games is batting .061. Add Correa and it is .111. Not going very far with those four batting like that.

Yordan actually has a good average .417 but it does not feel like it. Same with Gurriiel's .417.

I view today as a must win. We don't want to go to a coin flip game 5 even if we do have Cole. They could run Glasnow, Snell and Morton up there and shut us down. We would only have Cole. JV wouldn't be available. Our pen is MEH and Greinke. Gulp

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's great. still following me around i see. again stfu, i really couldn't give two ****'s what a dummy like you thinks. I'm not going anywhere. feel free to continue holding my nuts

back to the astros

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

And in case people forgot, that's what happened in 2017. Verlander pitched in relief in Game 4 of the ALDS and the Astros closed it out. Then in the ALCS, he and Keuchel switched places in the rotation with Dallas going in Game 1 and JV in Game 2 after it was the opposite in the ALDS. Last time I checked, that worked out fine.

Where the Astros are screwed is if they don't win Game 4. Then even if Cole does get you past the ALDS in Game 5, he can't pitch again til Game 3 of the ALCS. Which leaves Greinke going in Game 1.

YOLO likes this.
  12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Greinke game 1 against the Yankee's who just tore Minnesota a new one? That is a bit scary isn't it. Buuuut lets get there. Looking ahead to this weekend could end up seeing the Astros cleaning out their lockers and going fishing this weekend instead of playing baseball. Have to take care of present business. If anyone can do it, it is JV. 8-0 in division series games. I think he needs to be 9-0

13. AstrosRockets1818

I've got a great feeling that the Astros bat's come alive today. And it starts with Springer. We are gonna hang 10 today and win. That POS stadium might fall down after we leave.

htwnbandit likes this.
  14. count_dough-ku

It'll be Greinke on normal rest instead of a week and a half off. Plus it would be at home, so you'd hope the offense would show up a little more.

But I agree. Burn that bridge when we get to it. I would still be stunned if the Astros lost this series, but the outfielders need to start getting on base, especially Springer and Brantley. Altuve and Bregman are playing well. Imagine how much more damage they'd do if they actually had those guys in scoring position.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Greinke pitching @ Yankee Stadium (Game 3) is also a scary proposition.

Really hoping yesterday's disembowelment was mostly rust.

Some posters' nutz could be held in a contact lens case.

#2195 Houstunna, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Rock Block likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Regardless of how long this series goes, we will still have Verlander and Cole going 4 times. And people are overreacting more than a little bit to one bad start by Greinke.

The offense needs to get it's ass in gear because these paltry showings won't cut it.

htwnbandit likes this.
  17. count_dough-ku

But I'm fine with him pitching Game 3 since that means Cole and Verlander pitched in Games 1 and 2 and would be slated to go in Games 5 and 6(and Cole could pitch in relief in Game 7).

Losing today's game would put the Astros at a big disadvantage pitching-wise going into the ALCS. I hope they realize how important it is to close this sucker out in Tampa.

YOLO likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Some silver lining about greinke is that when he got traded here, he was in the middle of pitching against NY and was pretty solid. but yeah we'll all cross that bridge when we get there. and it's definitely ideal to have the aces start game 1/2 in a 7 game series bc its likely going the distance

19. SuraGotMadHops

It's weird, I had Game 3 pegged as an L from the beginning of the series, but now that it has actually happened, I'm all uncomfortable and worried and nervous and what not. JV on short rest concerns me, I expect he's going to give up some runs and go maybe 4 or 5 innings - to win tonight the offense is going to have to bring it against the Rays bullpen day pitchers. This is where our very sudden lack of pitching depth (Miley falling off a cliff at the end of the season and Grienke's stinker) really hurts us, now and also in the next round if we make it through.

We can still do this, the pitching carried us Games 1 and 2, the offense is going to have to carry us Game 4. C'mon boys don't make me break out the "I Still Believe" sax man already.

[​IMG]

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  20. count_dough-ku

Yeah, the Astros(assuming they win today) wouldn't be relying on Greinke in order to advance to the World Series. If they can close the Rays out today, you've got Cole and Verlander at home in Games 1 and 2, Cole at Yankee Stadium in Game 5, and Verlander at home in Game 6. All on full rest. And Cole available on 2 days rest out of the bullpen in Game 7.

I'll take my chances with that scenario. Where it gets dicey is if the Astros don't win today. Then you actually are relying heavily on Greinke in Games 1 and 5.