1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do the republicans and the right stand for?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Sorry i took so long, i've been quite ill

The presidential authority, what can be done about that? personally it's felt like crocodile tears from both sides on that front for nearly 2 decades. If congress began to function, it could take back those powers, but it has become so useless the only thing they can do is omnibus bills and moan about impeachment, they basically can't pass a single spending bill for almost anything, it's just pr nonsense and eventually an omnibus (kudos to the president who finally starts vetoing that crap). They are so bad they are instructed to vote against things they approve of because someone of the other side promotes it, and neither side seems to feel any inclination to upend it, instead doubling down further, and unfortunately the republic has no reset switch currently (it's the main reason i support a term limit bill). It can't be fixed overnight, I might agree or disagree with who does what, but i certainly accept that as it currently stands, it's about the only way to get anything done. (decision tree it and the alternative is "get congress to pass bills, at which point i just laugh)

As for profiting? not really no, the wealthier someone is, the less susceptible they are to financial incentive and his net worth has decreased mind you, but then the real profits of any presidency come in the post period when favours can be repaid, so who knows really. If there's one i think was ripe for explotation, it was to allow the bidding war that got news corp an extra $7b was it? if he gets some sweet heart deal on fox shares post presidency, that's where i'd question (i'd expect at least a 25% cut myself :p), focusing on minor transactions for someone of that wealth level seems forest from the trees to me.

A lot of those things are generational though, it wasn't as if DOMA was an R v D bill, and i don't know many outside the boomers who think the "war on drugs" has been a good thing overall, boomers will boomer? (video games are evil, music too, etc etc). Unless we're talking about that weird gay v queer thing going on (it's not like peter thiel and the like are being attacked for "being gay" at this point in time), it's not a matter of law at all but the queers being viewed as degenerates? sure.

On marriage, religious or social? religious is somewhat obvious why they feel that way, but socially a lot has to do with what people see as the purpose of marriage, people raised pre birth control, marriage was about raising children, the whole "two people love each other" was never the primary concern (go take a look at how many first children were born less than 9 months after marriage lol), it was that sort of messaging about children that produced the boomers in the first place, if you actually want an issue that is somewhat universal amongst those on the right regardless of age and it's become a legality thing, gender stuff is the one