1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Harden a hypocrite for groveling to China for the $$?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Oct 7, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hahaha. Nice fact-juggling.

Some African-American athletes occasionally feel the need to question police brutality against minorities in the country in which they earn millions.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

“No Viet Cong Ever Called Me N*****”

“I ain’t got no quarrel with them Viet Cong,”

airflights92 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

She got to learn the traditional ways. Time to teach her Mandarin.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Long live the railroad, you guys need high speed rail road like the one in the Far East.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The media controls the narrative in most democratic countries. Populists have flooded the political scene.

People have become as brainwashed as in totalitarian regimes. People just dun like to hear that.

Social media is free so they think, and that might be ‘wire-tapped’ or under supervision too.

6. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Putting aside some other issues with how the OP is framed, has Harden ever really taken much of a stand on social justice issues? I don't remember it and thought he's generally been pretty apolitical.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think he spoke out about Meek Mill's imprisonment a couple of year ago, but he's been mostly apolitical.

Then again, the NBA never forced him to make a political statement before.

rgw20014life likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I was waiting for this post. It’s already started on Twitter. One African-American man makes an ill-advised statement and it is suddenly used as a sweeping indictment of all African-American people.

1) Every AA millionaire athlete likes to vilify the police- categorically false. How many AA athletes disavowed any association with Kaepernick when he started kneeling?

2) Ah yes...the age old “y’all are mad about slavery” argument. Typical

3) The fake concern for “true” equality.

I’ll probably be flagged for D&D discussion in GARM but so be it. This post right here is an example of the type of garbage black people have to deal with every day.

Anti-blackness is as American as apple pie. :rolleyes:

Williamson, Little Bit, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  9. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

BS...black athletes when it comes to police, the Sterling issue will jump to show solidarity with each other. He isn't that dumb, pull out your phone and research the topic. If you don't care thats one thing but don't apologize making your GM look bad when he is educated about the topic at hand and voicing concern for people that need it

10. wesbound

wesbound Member

Morey ****ed up big time for his stupid post.. If anyone that knows better it should be him.
    And leave harden out of this.
    He said what he said is to help alleviate the bs Morey tweet has caused. China is the biggest market in the world & business standpoint Morey done **** ***** up.
    I mean, i don't disagree w/ morey's stand on this but as a GM of the Rockets & the only nba team that has tied to China market... you stfu & stay out of you.. he can talk to friends or whoever off record but tweeting to the world is plain pathetic.
    Now we just need the season to begin & move on from this bs.

rgw20014life likes this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

No, all companies back pedal like this, cash is king, and he wants Morey to still have Job

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Harden didn't say anything about Donald Sterling and his racism or the police when Kap was kneeling. He stays out of political discourse. Pretty much any argument Harden doesn't comment. If you want to generalize all black athletes that's on you and your micro aggressions, but this thread is about Harden

The apology was an attempt to defuse an already volatile situation to help a colleague/friend. Some of you guys need to get off Harden's crotch.

Reeko, jcf, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

Black people are not monolithic, regardless of how much American society attempts to tell you that we are. During the whole NFL kneeling controversy, James Harrison stated that any of his teammates kneeling for the anthem better be in a wheelchair. Our own Pat Bev. stated that he wouldn't participate in any anthem protests because he missed hearing it after playing in Russia for so long. You should take your own advice and use your phone to do some research.

Killatron 2000, Reeko, jcf and 2 others like this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Unfortunately you're right, the amount of money/ramifications won't be personally worth it for the money that could be lost, hence harden even apologizing.

But if Morey loses his job and it gets people talking more or helps future generations become less brainwashed maybe it was worth it (it Probably won't though). But I sure as hell know at my job, if I post something like this on my business account (and we have multiple relationships with that country...), unless I'm the ceo/owner, I'm going to be fired. But hey, at least in the USA I still have my free speech, well at least against the government. Haha, people never get that in the USA, the freedom is only from the government not your employer. Even though they might agree with your stance- $$$ always comes first.

#54 CCity Zero, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    wesbound likes this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, Harden is private/ acts neutral and basically I don't blame him. I mean when he can't get money at the end of his career and the rides over that's when you ruffle feathers. You don't piss off fans who watch/buy all your stuff still. This was most likely a mix of business with a mix of hoping to help Morey

amaru likes this.
  16. rgw20014life

rgw20014life Member

Exactly and who knows, maybe his boss told him to issue this apology so they can possibly recover some of those lost sponsors.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Harden didn't sell out. All I see is someone being emotionally intelligent about the whole situation. The CCP can be stubborn, Harden's words only help.

When this thing started, I was kinda sympathetic to HK's cause. But some of you pro HK Chinese fans are relentless.

Stop making a martyr out of Daryl. He already deleted the tweet. A martyr is someone that gets sacrificed. I want Morey to keep his job not sacrificed. Just because people in the west also see mainlander's view, doesn't make them wrong (or greedy).

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I want to say you are wrong.

But I know my argument will be very weak, because most what you said are facts.

And that's why as much as I hate Trump, for all those stupid sh't he said or done, I think many years when we will look back, starting a trade war with China (which most likely because of his own agenda anyway) may actually be one of the few good things he did in the last 4 years.

I am not saying this Morey issue is a wake up call, like I said, its a weak argument, but I do hope at least it will create some ripple effects.

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think Harden was forced to say something like this.... or rather , heavily persuaded.

I'm sure : TIlman , Morey, MDA, Addidas, NBA all would point him this direction.

If harden says anything other than this, He 1) loses money 2) devalues his franchise 3) Creates friction with the owner and NBA 4) Detracts focus from the season.

He has all the reason in the world to toe the line for now.

Just because he didn't speak out against china doesn't mean he will forever.

Maybe James personally knows nothing about the protests in honk kong and china's human rights violations. How many hours did he have to investigate before he was asked to speak on it, in a very tense environment?

Im not disappointed with James. This situation is gonna take some time to work out. The parties involved have to learn more and have to communicate.

I think he might have a different answer in a few months if the rockets are still banned in china and his personal apparel is too... then he has less to lose if he was refraining from speaking his mind.

He might not want to be involved at all. Can he really expect to make a difference in China ? Does he even have that duty ?

rgw20014life likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

taking note of who liked OP’s trash ass post...it’s good to know what kind of people I’m dealing with

clowns always reveal themselves in time