1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey, NBA issue statements

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 6, 2019.

1. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

WTF is this true?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

See, although I have ancestry there but unlike other Chinese brehs I dun really care if HK or other parts do belong to the Mainland.

But I am not saying those people who love to see a United China are wrong, it is actually a romantic notion, nostalgic even.

I just do not want to see more violence, I hope you all find a peaceful way!

(Cultural revolution shouldn't be mentioned, it was a dark chapter, Mao got like the Mad King in GoT. Burned everything down the mad old man he had become. Everything he once helped built)

#282 daywalker02, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Moral High ground? They have torture camps. It really isn't equivalent to anywhere else in the modern world...besides North Korea.

malakas likes this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

Not to be outdone, but we have child immigration detention camps. ....Ummm no torture, wait does GitMo count?

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There's no torture at those detention camps, they suck and should be eliminated, but here we have people that will SAY they suck and should be eliminated.

Gitmo a place where they held prisoners of war, very different from "You are this ethnicity and so you go to a torture camp." and STILL we had a previous president try to close Gitmo and there's like under 50 prisoners there right now and we have people in our country that want it close and want to do better.

Does China want to do better?

I'm not going for this false equivalency mess, USA has problems, but at least the USA openly admits to its issues because we have the freedom to criticize our government. I'm sorry, yes, I think the USA has the moral high ground over China right now, today, in 2019.

jcf, malakas and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So get a rescue mission and film what is going on. Truth and documentaries/stories are important! Without any bias.

So far it looks like re education camps, if you mean mental torture for sure.

I did not see footages of violent physical torture, the one we hear about and associate with the term torture.

ilovehtownbb and Lovemachine2000 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No doubt, but I dun think the US should be excused of waging war on foreign soil, even if their intention was okay.

But in the process they also gained crude oil from the Middle East.

In the process of killing terrorist splinter cells, they also killed civilians. Also putting their own young men and women plus their families at risk.

I dun think you can ever make up for those families.

We are just keyboard warriors or SJ warriors, we dun fight at the forefront. It is tough.

Gaining moral high ground over someone should not be more important than helping another country and praying it gets better.

#287 daywalker02, Oct 7, 2019
    ilovehtownbb and Lovemachine2000 like this.
  8. longthepianist

longthepianist New Member

Dude, you need to get your facts straight: The HK protesters did not demand and proclaim Independence, or to be separated from mainland China (Educate yourself, before you comment, by reading their 5 demands). "withdraw the bill, for leader Carrie Lam to step down, an inquiry into police brutality, for those who have been arrested to be released, and greater democratic freedoms"

So basically, most Chinese who lives in China are brainwashed by the state-run media into believing that HK protesters demands HK to be a nation of its own, instead of telling the truth that all they want is to be autonomous as promised by CCP "the Sino-British Joint Declaration on the Question of Hong Kong, signed by the heads of the two governments in December 1984. The agreement stipulated that under Chinese rule the HKSAR would enjoy a high degree of autonomy, except in matters of foreign relations and defense, and that the social and economic systems as well as the lifestyle in Hong Kong would remain unchanged for 50 years after 1997."

9. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

Have to call BS on this... Google Chen Duxiu and Li Dazhao if u want to know how the CCP was founded. They were partners and an integral part of the kuomintang govt and armies until the kmt kicked them out.

Do try to learn your history before u try to instruct other people using bogus propaganda. And no, CCP leaders weren't poor farmers... ROTFL...

malakas likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you. I do think the Xi regime is authoritarian and also that the PRC has not lived up to the Basic Law and is themselves violating the one country two party system by interfering in local HK politics. What's going on in Hong Kong isn't an abstraction to me or someplace to win ideological points. As someone who has family in HK and travels there frequently I am very concerned about the safety of both my family and the people there in HK.

I've spent time in countries that were wracked by sectarian conflict. I was in Sri Lanka while the civil war was wrapping up and have seen the memorials and met with people who are on both sides of the Northern Ireland conflict. Sectarian conflicts are among the worst type of conflicts. They divide families and even when the fighting is done resentment long lingers and can crop up again years later. I don't want to see that happen to HK but it might be inevitable now.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I wasn’t saying farmers founded the party, they were integral to the party incl. lower workers.

Learn to read between the lines and grasp the gist of it instead of accusing someone of trivial ish.

The founders of Communism were Marx and Engels, I made a small mistake.

#291 daywalker02, Oct 7, 2019
  12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

In Morey We Trust.

sammy likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am sorry hearing that, wish your family nothing but the best.

I am just getting through the day, I am really low key politically no matter what my net persona sounds like.

Shouldn’t be in any danger.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol!

Most likely Morey just had a superficial knowledge of the incident and had no clue his 1 like would result in crazy ass retaliation. It's like somebody burning your entire neighborhood down just cuz he overheard you say you don't like chocolate.

I have 0 stand on this issue but the Chinese reaction has been on crazy level of hysteria. It's ridiculous imo.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Most likely Morey is done. Now you have politicians and journalists lining up to take shots at the NBA, Silver, and lack of response. This thing is not going away and only getting bigger, probably the biggest crisis for the nba in recent memory and damaging not only to the bottom line but also to the progressive image that it worked so hard to build up. As it turns out, it all runs on the all mighty dollar/yuan? Huge shocker.

Meanwhile the moral police are all those who have zero at stake. Politicians have nothing to lose and browny points to gain from their base. Journalists only care about getting their clicks. The actual people this affects, owners, players, the entire nba, will keep silent.

And you blame them? Our so called democracy itself is bought and paid for by corporate interests. And now you want people to give up $millions to stand up for freedom and democracy of strangers a world away that they don't care about? Good luck and welcome to the real world.

GotGame15, jcf, ElPigto and 1 other person like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We had our small differences but that's very good.

Every government is just out for the money. Dun believe otherwise.

17. bullman0036

bullman0036 Member

As a Chinese citizen, I couldn’t care less about Morey’s take on Hong Kong and it honestly won’t change anything. It’s unfortunate what this has turned into. Morey kind of dragged the whole NBA into a PR nightmare with only downsides.

As a ROX fan, I’ve been criticizing Morey and Tilman’s media and PR tactics during the entire summer. They just can’t keep their mouth shut. All these talks about “Harden is better scorer than Jordan”, “offseason fireworks”, “who really let Melo go”, “X% chance to land jimmy butler ” , “getting Westbrook makes us X% better”. None of it seem like good PR and IMO already created ton of negativity among non-ROX fans and media. Well, this just takes it to another level....I like Morey and I hope he can weather thru this. But hopefully the ROX organization can take notes and learn to manage these sort of things

sammy likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say HK is going down that path. (I used the MAGA analogy in another thread, which was kind of lame compared to what HK is going through.) But I get your point. And this is what Morey and a lot of American posters here don't understand. All they want to say is **** China. But it's not just about China. It's about a divided HK.

Imagine someone tweet "Stand with Ireland" and say "**** the IRA." If you understood the context, you'd see how dumb that statement is from an outsider.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think you are missing the larger point and it's sad that a cartoon is the voice of reason but last South Park's episode is on the nose here. The larger issue here in terms of being an American is that we have to abide by Chinese authoritarianism. It's only going to get worse. Already we have American produced content from movies to books that are censored to cater towards Chinese authoritarianism. Do you want to see this worsen?

joshuaao, JayGoogle and malakas like this.