1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[From GARM with love] China v. GM Daryl Morey’s personal views

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B-Bob, Oct 6, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Daryl Morey will unite the country.

calurker and saitou like this.
  2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Wow never thought I'd agree with ted cruz on anything lol

Ubiquitin likes this.
  3. TheresTheDagger

The notion of "Freedom of Speech" has proven once again to be fraught with consequences. It makes me rethink the entire concept. in the 21st century is there really such a thing?

Also, this shows the fallacy of investment in a country with a repressive government. Sooner or later, the values of a western democracy will clash with it. And when it does, we see our values tested by the almighty dollar. And we see what REALLY matters...

Political commentary is allowed by people like Popovich and Kerr on a routine basis here in America, but the moment the money is threatened in China they cave in over Morey's comments supporting a democratic movement in Hong Kong?

What an incredibly ironic double standard. The reaction of the NBA has been sickening and hypocritical.

4. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Part of Morey’s job is to maintain a partnership with businesses connected to the Rockets and NBA. He’s the point man for the Rockets and should have been a lot more careful with his words if his job meant **** to him.

I don’t disagree with what he said even though he admitted in his statement that he’s more educated on the subject now. China being China isn’t breaking news. I’d feel better if his intention was to purposefully persuade the NBA to back away from it’s relationship with China. It would be a bold move, Cotton.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Business is business. The almighty dollar is powerful, powerful enough to suppress speech, values, and... democracy. I disagree with the NBA here, but it's their right.

6. cml750

cml750 Member

Morey should keep his political views private. Anytime a public figure expresses political views publicly they risk alienating someone.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

When I read that tweet... my reaction was thumb up, then I think why not here now?

I hope this event give people get a slimmer of insight to why our system of democracy, far from perfect, is important and why we cannot allow any single person, party or group interest to be above it. Why conflict of personal interest (the almighty powerful dollar) to the interest of our democracy shouldn't be tolerated. Why disregard of our rules and laws designed to protect our democracy shouldn't be tolerated. Why we shouldn't allow any foreign interference into our democracy. Why we absolutely should not tolerate our leader reaching out to foreign power to interfere in our democracy. Why Ted Cruz should have spoken out against the daily conflict of $$$$ interest with foreign power from this admin from the very start, and definitely why he should start speaking out against the disregard for our democracy and self governance with no outside interference or invitation of interference...

adoo likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

Well that's a problem for the person who felt alienated.

We call that a "you problem".

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Losing extra Rockets money would suck, but losing Murry will suck more. I wonder if the vitriol would've been as strong if he tweeted to give more rights to Hong Kong rather than free HK. The CCP apologists are screaming bloody separation when most sane people think that's not realistic.

I don't think that's his main point.

Morals are for sale.

With Silver, morals are also for promotion.

That's the disgusting part.

10. cml750

cml750 Member

If his statement affects the Houston Rockets then it is all of our problems as fans. If he gets fired for his comments to appease the far East fans it is our problem because he is one heck of a GM. Freedom of speech does not always come without consequences. Sometimes it is MUCH better to keep your opinions to yourself. Morey should create an anonymous Twitter account if he wants to express his views publicly. That being said I agree wholeheartedly with what he said even of I think he was stupid to say it.

jcf likes this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, I understand that. But our democracy allow business to sell their moral. That's their right - suppressing that right also weaken democracy. I'm much much more concern if that happen in our government. Private business - not as much.

12. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Hey Chinese fan here.

Hongkong is a sensitive and complex issue. With most issues in the world we can agree to disagree and still do business. Hongkong is not one of those.

If I date someone for 10 years and all goes super well then she makes a tweet like that, it's breakup time for sure. Same goes for Chinese people and Morey/Rockets. Rockets have always been our loved team and our big business partner, but if you are going to take the other side, we need to stop doing business together.

It's much bigger than basketball.

JuanValdez likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

And that's perfectly acceptable. Many Rocket fans are perfectly fine with the Chinese base not being Rocket fans anymore. It's not like added revenue allowed our owners to pay into the luxury tax so it really does us no benefit. Houston is one of the larger markets in the US and the Rockets have zero leverage in leaving Houston because there is no city in the US that doesn't have a NBA that would generate more revenue than the Rockets.

I'm glad Morey made a stand over the autocratic government.

Kim likes this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good post but did the NBA cave? Morey is still our GM, right? I read the NBA statement as dainty, for sure, but supporting Daryl’s right to share his own views.

Kim likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Part of me was hoping that the entire NBA would rise up together in some kinda of Twitter "I am Spartacus" moment to protect Morey.

They can crap on Morey, they can crap on the Rockets, even, but they would have a very hard time shunning the entire NBA.

I'm more than happy to see the Rockets and China part company.

The partnership was always kind of bleh for the fans, and now that they're actively trying to get our GM fired, these autocratic crybabies can go pound sand.

joshuaao, calurker, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  16. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yea that's fair enough.

I don't think Americans need to interpret the response from CBA as "bullying" or anything like that. If Chinese fans are OK not watching the Rockets and Rockets are OK with making making their money elsewhere, so be it. It's not like we need to kill each other or anything.

Kim likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Freedom and democracy isn't the other side. It's our side and yes, it's much bigger than basketball.

Deckard likes this.
  18. adoo

adoo Member

nba's reaction doesn't surprise me

this is consistent w its previous interactions w China on delicate political issues

recall the political incident surrounding Wang ZhiZhi, ~ a decade ago.
    he had productive seasons w the Mavs, and was entering his FA
    instead of playing in some meaningless Asian regional BB tournament representing China, he opted to play in the summer league in the US
    the nba/Mark Cuban were too afraid to offer WZZ a FA contrract

btw,
    kudos to Morey for speaking out in support of HKers and democracy,
    something the self-serving chicken-bleep in the WH is scared sh*tless to do

Deckard likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is one of the bigger issues at play here.

The NBA is all about activism and politics until it isn't convenient for its business model.

[​IMG]

Deckard, Kim, NewRoxFan and 1 other person like this.