1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Morey get fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Oct 6, 2019.

?

Will Morey get fired?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is Rofl Saurus.

2. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

My guess is he was scrolling through and accidentally clicked.

I'm sure Tilman is absolutely livid at Morey for putting him in this position, but firing Morey would be a complete PR nightmare. I don't see it happening, though guess he'll have a much shorter leash now because of this.

3. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

By the way, they are others in the organization. If Morey is fired( which I don't believe will happen) then he'll get replaced by another analytical guy from the Morey tree. Simple.

4. chinese

chinese Member

No DM will come out and apologize.
    If he doesn’t apologize and get fired, he may gain more respects from HK protesters, and may become their GM afterwards. True supporting!

5. jayland

jayland Member

I doubt it. If Tilman fires Morey then people will see him as cowering to China for the sake money. Plus Morey's salary is still guaranteed if he is fired and Tilman is too cheap to pay for two GMs.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Only if Tillman is as big of a genital noun as overemotional people say he is.

HP3 and malakas like this.
  7. meh

meh Contributing Member

There is no chance this blows over with anything short of Morey firing and strong indictment of his actions from the Rockets organization.

If anything any public backlash from the American fan public for a potential firing will eventually subside because, let's face it, not like we can change the city we are from. And at least the Rockets arent owned by Robert Sarver or James Dolan so it's not all bad. But asking the Chinese government to lay off the hate is pretty much impossible.

Which sucks but that's what happens when you're in a trade war with a country and everyone hates each and blame each other for various reasons

Kornel87 likes this.
  8. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

:D:D:D

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

he’ll be made to issue a strong formal apology and backtrack on his tweet...he’ll probably talk about how it’s a sensitive issue and he wasn’t aware of how big a problem his tweet would become...they will hope that’s enough to put and end to this

if not, he gone

HP3 and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

Well Said lol

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if morey apologizes the other half of twitter will hate him and the rockets. if Tillman fires morey, the other half of twitter will hate him and the rockets.

either way they lose sponsors and fans. tilman should focus on retaining the sponsors and fans they still have. double down and say yes we stand for human rights and freedom! maybe the rockets can win more sponsors and fans in the states that way? maybe we'll be more popular (or popular at all) in the states for once!?

RichieBanks and D-rock like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope but he will apologize.

DD

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Might the League do an intervention?

14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Comments are no longer liked by Fertitta. Probably his social media manager getting a little too gung-ho about liking things.

malakas and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

You have just guaranteed he won't.

And I'm good with that.

malakas likes this.
  16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So it is what it is.

There are actually Chinese Americans that will support Morey.

malakas and BigShasta like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It wouldn’t surprise me if Morey is fired over this. Having spent time in China and seeing how popular the Rockets and NBA are this will be a big blow to both the team and league coffers.

I’m looking at this based on what we’ve seen happen to Kaepernick. Whether you agree disagree or don’t care about Kaepernick’s views I think most people can agree he was a decent QB and better than most backups and even a few starters. Many Vikings fans have said they would take him over Kirk Cousins. It is pretty obvious that he is playing because he offends a large part of the fan base over politics. For the NBA which has been raking money in from the PRC it will be very costly if they keep personnel that offend that base.

Morey is a very smart guy and I would be shocked if he didn’t think about this ahead of time. If he is expressing a truly principled opinion more power to him but this does hurt his employer in the pocketbook.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Something tells me that Ferttita and Morey will be discussing the situation today with Adam Silver (if they haven't already). Unfortunately, this thing has become such a big deal that I doubt anything at all happens from this point on without under-the-table approval from the league. My guess is they've already started talking it over.